UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: AE Quarterfinals vs. Hartford 3/2 7pm

Over 10,000 fans for Quarters is more then they would draw in Tourney format, that's why they do it this way - $$$$$$$

I still say bring back the tourney format

I know, I know. Still attendance basically sucked. UVM has some seriously rabid fans and they couldn't get more than 2,165. After SBU wins it this year it will cement this format even further since that was one of the main reasons for going this route. Get the #1 to the tourney.

And if somehow it's a Hartford/UNH final the Boston offices will go up in flames.

Ya'll need to simmer down.

The Danes sucked so bad yesterday that no amount of fans was going to help. Most of us were sitting there completely stunned and had NOTHING to cheer for. Of the 40 minutes of play, only about 5 were cheer worthy.

It's over. Move along.

Has nothing to do with it being a win or a loss or the people that were there, 2500 is a joke

If you don't think walking into a gym of 2500 people after playing in front of 4,000 plus a couple of days earlier affects kids I don't know what to tell you. Same people that want to comment on recruiting or arena improvements don't show up to a tournament game? Or don't think it's an issue when other people don't show up?

It shouldn't change players mentalities or how they play, supposed to be stronger than that, but it definitely does. We all get up for bigger events, just human nature.

Once again, this program stresses the important of the postseason compared to the regular season, and when the postseason came around the fan base was nowhere to be found.

Affects recruiting also...hey kid, come play for Albany...even if you win 3 straight championships only 2500 people will show up for your most important game of the season. Maybe the fan base just got spoiled, either way we let those kids down.

Were you there? Same question goes to UA'08

No I was not there as I live on LI. I don't know what you are trying to get at, but I am not criticizing the fans who actually went. It's the ones that can show up on a Wednesday night against SB, but disappear at the most important game of the year. Go ask coach what he thought about the attendance Monday.

So the two guys who are killing people for not coming to the game were also not there...for the "most imporant game of the year"...got it!

So says the guy who has killed players, coaches, and other board members over the years, but when it comes to criticizing the lack of attendance... that's a no no. (Edit: I am no saint either as it comes to the criticism of players and coaches in the past, but at least I keep it consistent.)

Making a donation in the amount of the tolls, gas, food, and time off from work, to go to the game does more for the program than me making the trip up.

Wonder how many of the other empty seats had the same excuse.

Personally I go to as many games in all the sports that I can because I enjoy them. I am not concerned with whether I am supporting the program more or less than the guy who gives a big donation but doesn't go as the program needs both

Edited by bob87

Ya'll need to simmer down.

The Danes sucked so bad yesterday that no amount of fans was going to help. Most of us were sitting there completely stunned and had NOTHING to cheer for. Of the 40 minutes of play, only about 5 were cheer worthy.

It's over. Move along.

Has nothing to do with it being a win or a loss or the people that were there, 2500 is a joke

If you don't think walking into a gym of 2500 people after playing in front of 4,000 plus a couple of days earlier affects kids I don't know what to tell you. Same people that want to comment on recruiting or arena improvements don't show up to a tournament game? Or don't think it's an issue when other people don't show up?

It shouldn't change players mentalities or how they play, supposed to be stronger than that, but it definitely does. We all get up for bigger events, just human nature.

Once again, this program stresses the important of the postseason compared to the regular season, and when the postseason came around the fan base was nowhere to be found.

Affects recruiting also...hey kid, come play for Albany...even if you win 3 straight championships only 2500 people will show up for your most important game of the season. Maybe the fan base just got spoiled, either way we let those kids down.

Were you there? Same question goes to UA'08

No I was not there as I live on LI. I don't know what you are trying to get at, but I am not criticizing the fans who actually went. It's the ones that can show up on a Wednesday night against SB, but disappear at the most important game of the year. Go ask coach what he thought about the attendance Monday.

So the two guys who are killing people for not coming to the game were also not there...for the "most imporant game of the year"...got it!

So says the guy who has killed players, coaches, and other board members over the years, but when it comes to criticizing the lack of attendance... that's a no no. (Edit: I am no saint either as it comes to the criticism of players and coaches in the past, but at least I keep it consistent.)

Making a donation in the amount of the tolls, gas, food, and time off from work, to go to the game does more for the program than me making the trip up.

I reserve the right to kill whomever I want at whatever time I want on these here fine boards (within the rules governing these boards). :P Certainly not going to ask your permission to do so. Criticize away...doesn't mean I can't provide a counter argument or disagree with you.

Over the years I think I've shown the ability to argue with anyone... Even a rock. I enjoy the back and forth.

Edited by Clickclack

That's fine and the same goes this way as well.

You can think there was nothing wrong with the attendance Monday, and I will continue to think it was a problem. While you call out the out of towners 3-4 hours away that didn't make it, I'll continue to call out the fair weather locals and students that are a stones throw away from SEFCU. Agree to disagree.

If you don't think that atmosphere has an impact on recruiting or a team's success, you really need to reevaluate your ability to be objective. No one is chastising those fans that went (kudos), but it's more about the macro picture of the program.

If you're an Aussie recruit (example), watching on ESPN3 from abroad and you see two games - one with a more than half empty stadium, and the other is a raucous environment, which would you prefer? Wouldn't we all prefer to play in front of a packed arena with raging students?

These athletes are kids/young men. They certainly feed off of energy - grown professional athletes do as well. That's why teams historically play better at home than on the road (certainly other factors as well).

If we go to 3 straight NCAAs, have a very legit chance at a 4th, and draw 2500 fans for a playoff do or die game, what does that say about the Athletic Department's marketing? At Albany, no one has come up with a way to consistently get fans in the seats, including students.

Riddle me this - how are you going to demand/command money for a new SEFCU when you can't even sell out the one you have for a playoff game? People say win, win, win, and the fans will come. We've done that. Where are the fans?

There are two types of fans. Diehards and casual fans. You can play the games on the concrete courts near Dutch parking lot and the die hards will show up. The casual fans want a good environment to watch the game, a comfortable seat, good food and other fun stuff outside of just the game. Casual fans can turn into diehards but you have to get them in the door first. I don't think the environment is good enough for the casual fans to want to come. I said it earlier in the thread. If I was a local fan who did not attend Albany or Siena and I wanted to take my kids or go with a buddy to a college basketball game it would not be at SEFCU. It would be at the TUC because it's a real arena, with chairbacks and food and beers and lots of local establishments for me to attend prior to the game. So, my thought is, "if you build it, they will come". #1 priority right now of the athletic department should be upgrading SEFCU to be more fan friendly. I made the 4+ hour round trip drive three weeks in a row last year for final regular season game, semi-final game and championship game. Each week I sat in very uncomfortable bleacher seats (the space for one person is WAY too small so when it is packed you are like sardines), I didn't eat a thing (spend money) because the food sucks and all I could think about was how much nicer that place needs to be to draw casual fans.

Take the football stadium for instance. What did we average at the old field? 2k fans a season? 2500? Now we are averaging 4000 and if the team starts to get good that should grow to 6k. In basketball we averaged 3200 this year? If we had a good arena I think that jumps over 4k. Maybe you guys don't agree with that but I think it is a HUGE issue. Get those casual fans in the door of a nice place where they can eat and drink, be comfortable and have fun and some will turn into diehards.

• Like 1

If you don't think that atmosphere has an impact on recruiting or a team's success, you really need to reevaluate your ability to be objective. No one is chastising those fans that went (kudos), but it's more about the macro picture of the program.

If you're an Aussie recruit (example), watching on ESPN3 from abroad and you see two games - one with a more than half empty stadium, and the other is a raucous environment, which would you prefer? Wouldn't we all prefer to play in front of a packed arena with raging students?

These athletes are kids/young men. They certainly feed off of energy - grown professional athletes do as well. That's why teams historically play better at home than on the road (certainly other factors as well).

If we go to 3 straight NCAAs, have a very legit chance at a 4th, and draw 2500 fans for a playoff do or die game, what does that say about the Athletic Department's marketing? At Albany, no one has come up with a way to consistently get fans in the seats, including students.

Riddle me this - how are you going to demand/command money for a new SEFCU when you can't even sell out the one you have for a playoff game? People say win, win, win, and the fans will come. We've done that. Where are the fans?

There are two types of fans. Diehards and casual fans. You can play the games on the concrete courts near Dutch parking lot and the die hards will show up. The casual fans want a good environment to watch the game, a comfortable seat, good food and other fun stuff outside of just the game. Casual fans can turn into diehards but you have to get them in the door first. I don't think the environment is good enough for the casual fans to want to come. I said it earlier in the thread. If I was a local fan who did not attend Albany or Siena and I wanted to take my kids or go with a buddy to a college basketball game it would not be at SEFCU. It would be at the TUC because it's a real arena, with chairbacks and food and beers and lots of local establishments for me to attend prior to the game. So, my thought is, "if you build it, they will come". #1 priority right now of the athletic department should be upgrading SEFCU to be more fan friendly. I made the 4+ hour round trip drive three weeks in a row last year for final regular season game, semi-final game and championship game. Each week I sat in very uncomfortable bleacher seats (the space for one person is WAY too small so when it is packed you are like sardines), I didn't eat a thing (spend money) because the food sucks and all I could think about was how much nicer that place needs to be to draw casual fans.

Take the football stadium for instance. What did we average at the old field? 2k fans a season? 2500? Now we are averaging 4000 and if the team starts to get good that should grow to 6k. In basketball we averaged 3200 this year? If we had a good arena I think that jumps over 4k. Maybe you guys don't agree with that but I think it is a HUGE issue. Get those casual fans in the door of a nice place where they can eat and drink, be comfortable and have fun and some will turn into diehards.

For the record...I shed a tear! Preach...

• Like 1

THIS. ALL. DAY.

BTW, Hot Dogs are hit and miss. I used to get one or two every game and now I either get popcorn (which usually is decent) or just candy and a drink. Food is definitely medium quality.

• Like 1

THIS. ALL. DAY.

BTW, Hot Dogs are hit and miss. I used to get one or two every game and now I either get popcorn (which usually is decent) or just candy and a drink. Food is definitely medium quality.

I'd say low quality. Hard to screw up hot dogs, popcorn, candy and gatorade. That is not really even food. Also, it's great that they have beer in the Hall of Fame room but if the game is crowded, good luck getting one at halftime without missing the start of the second half. For BPG the line was out the door. The place needs a serious upgrade and expansion and I think we can average 4k.

Obviously, EVERYONE, including the fans, took this game for granted. "We don't need to show up tonight. Let's save our voices for Monday"

Heard season ticket holders called to confirm they could get their semi final tickets even if they didn't but the quartefinals. Even some season ticket holders didn't show up due to the assumption we would win. What can you do when even your devoted dont show assuming they aren't needed yet.

That loss stings. And will for some time. However, I'd like to see Coach Brown signed to an extension sooner rather than later. Signed his last extension after the 2013 season..which leaves him with just two more years on his current deal. Since then he's made two NCAA trips, won a regular season title and put together two 24 win seasons..not to mention eight all-academic team members, etc. Way more than deserving..in my opinion.

Another NCAA trip would likely have generated even more interest in him..but he's still at least 110-58 with 3 NCAA trips and 2 other post-season bids over the past 5 seasons. I'd imagine there will be suitors..again.

State contracts are max 5 years...I believe he has 4 remaining. He's more than secure...There was talk of re-upping him last summer and most likely it got done just not announced.

Going to doubt if it was renewed that the press didn't report on it. More likely Benson never re-upped him.

Any interesting fires during the conference tournaments so far? Well outside of UMBC coach lol.

That loss stings. And will for some time. However, I'd like to see Coach Brown signed to an extension sooner rather than later. Signed his last extension after the 2013 season..which leaves him with just two more years on his current deal. Since then he's made two NCAA trips, won a regular season title and put together two 24 win seasons..not to mention eight all-academic team members, etc. Way more than deserving..in my opinion.

Another NCAA trip would likely have generated even more interest in him..but he's still at least 110-58 with 3 NCAA trips and 2 other post-season bids over the past 5 seasons. I'd imagine there will be suitors..again.

State contracts are max 5 years...I believe he has 4 remaining. He's more than secure...There was talk of re-upping him last summer and most likely it got done just not announced.

Going to doubt if it was renewed that the press didn't report on it. More likely Benson never re-upped him.

Any interesting fires during the conference tournaments so far? Well outside of UMBC coach lol.

There is language in his contract that he can get a raise without redoing his contract. I would hope after three years straight to the tourney he got a raise with the few interviews he went on. A raise does not need to be announced unless someone asks for the documentation.

Somewhat related..the crowd at the TUC for tonight's Siena-Manhattan game doesn't exactly look strong. And that's with other MAAC fans in town.

I heard advertising for a 4 ticket special for $150. For that price, that level of basketball and all the other sports options right now I am surprised anyone goes to those games