UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: AE Quarterfinals vs. Hartford 3/2 7pm

Problem is the team was used to seeing a packed SEFCU and when you come out and see it half full, you have to say to yourself what the hell is going on?

The capital region doesn't deserve to see this team again this year. I hope they go knock off a high major team on the road in the CBI or Vegas tournament. I was checking the Vegas tourney and the quarterfinal games are all televised on cbs sports network.

Problem is the team was used to seeing a packed SEFCU and when you come out and see it half full, you have to say to yourself what the hell is going on?

The capital region doesn't deserve to see this team again this year. I hope they go knock off a high major team on the road in the CBI or Vegas tournament. I was checking the Vegas tourney and the quarterfinal games are all televised on cbs sports network.

When was SEFCU packed? Attendance continues to trend up and stood at 3205 on average for the year? Good enough to lead the league.

The Athletic Department really needs to focus on not only getting attendance up, but also on just changing the atmosphere. I was louder in my living room than the fans there last night. I do believe that while it ultimate is up to the players to win the game, a rauckus environment certainly helps. There were times we had it to single digits and I saw the crowd maybe once stand and applause? Really disappointing.

I strongly disagree with your assessment, in section 200 we repeatedly stood, cheered, screamed etc. Certainly the bodies weren't there to show on TV but our entire side was very raucous in the second half when the team gave us something to cheer for. So again...not sure how it looked on TV but your assessment is way off.

I gotta agree with Click on this. Maybe it was just section 200, as that is where my seats are as well, but I was actually impressed with how loud the crowd was considering how small the crowd was. I brought a friend to the game (it was his first UA game not at TUC as he used to work there) and he was amazed at the energy and atmosphere. His comment was that he could only imagine what the place would be like if full.

We led the conference in attendance this year and there were a number of games this year where the crowd was great. Last night it seemed the crowd got into it in the second half. Our attendance numbers have been steadily increasing the past several years. As I said earlier in the thread, I think everyone took this game for granted and were gearing up for Monday night. Getting off topic of the thread a bit and this has been said many times but I think more local fans will want to come to SEFCU when they can sit in a real seat in an arena atmosphere with real concessions. If I lived in Albany and didn't go to Albany or Siena and wanted to take my kids to a basketball game it wouldn't be at SEFCU. It would be at the TU Center.

Edited by DanesRGood

When was SEFCU packed? Attendance continues to trend up and stood at 3205 on average for the year? Good enough to lead the league.
True, but we couldn't even hit the average for a do or die game. It was naive of me to think we actually had something going when we had over 4,000 on Saturday.

True, but we couldn't even hit the average for a do or die game. It was naive of me to think we actually had something going when we had over 4,000 on Saturday.

Yes. Not every one that comes to one game comes back to the next. Like others have said the team has drawn more fans over the last fewer years. It is not a straight line. It does has its ups and downs.

I have been to every home game, but fewer road games this season. There are all sorts of fans in the numbers, from the hard core to the casual.

I am there to support the team as I have since 1999 and don't worry about how many other fans there are other than to invite people along to join me :)

That loss stings. And will for some time. However, I'd like to see Coach Brown signed to an extension sooner rather than later. Signed his last extension after the 2013 season..which leaves him with just two more years on his current deal. Since then he's made two NCAA trips, won a regular season title and put together two 24 win seasons..not to mention eight all-academic team members, etc. Way more than deserving..in my opinion.

Another NCAA trip would likely have generated even more interest in him..but he's still at least 110-58 with 3 NCAA trips and 2 other post-season bids over the past 5 seasons. I'd imagine there will be suitors..again.

State contracts are max 5 years...I believe he has 4 remaining. He's more than secure...There was talk of re-upping him last summer and most likely it got done just not announced.

He has two years left on his current deal. The last contract he signed was a five year deal in the spring of 2013, under McElroy.

EDIT: And I'm not suggesting I have "inside" info. Since he's a state employee, those contracts are public and I believe have previously been posted on this board by others. I also think the idea of signing a contract for these types of positions without an announcement is a bit odd.

Edited by Phoenix

Yes. Not every one that comes to one game comes back to the next. Like others have said the team has drawn more fans over the last fewer years. It is not a straight line. It does has its ups and downs.

I have been to every home game, but fewer road games this season. There are all sorts of fans in the numbers, from the hard core to the casual.

I am there to support the team as I have since 1999 and don't worry about how many other fans there are other than to invite people along to join me :)

Well the Wednesday night sell out against sb too

For your increased aggravation, in today's TU John Gallagher said he got advice about the zone Hartford used last night from former Siena coach Fran McCaffery.

Yawn. Nice try by Gallagher trying to troll Brown and Albany fans. The advice he needed was how to save his job.

Pretty much this win saved his job. I like the guy but he should probably stop running his mouth and focus on next game.

• Like 1

That loss stings. And will for some time. However, I'd like to see Coach Brown signed to an extension sooner rather than later. Signed his last extension after the 2013 season..which leaves him with just two more years on his current deal. Since then he's made two NCAA trips, won a regular season title and put together two 24 win seasons..not to mention eight all-academic team members, etc. Way more than deserving..in my opinion.

Another NCAA trip would likely have generated even more interest in him..but he's still at least 110-58 with 3 NCAA trips and 2 other post-season bids over the past 5 seasons. I'd imagine there will be suitors..again.

Why in the hell would coach sign an extension after the disgusting lack of fan support for the most important game of the year???

If I am him I am taking every single call I get and if it's the right move take it. If the support was not here after back to back to back championships, it never will be. Big deal we led the big bad America East in attendance, Give me a break this team deserved better.

The man fought and got a home game next year against Siena, but didn't realize 60% of the place is going to be in green.

Why in the hell would coach sign an extension after the disgusting lack of fan support for the most important game of the year???

If I am him I am taking every single call I get and if it's the right move take it. If the support was not here after back to back to back championships, it never will be. Big deal we led the big bad America East in attendance, Give me a break this team deserved better.

The man fought and got a home game next year against Siena, but didn't realize 60% of the place is going to be in green.

You are off your rocker....yes, he should take another job to spite the fans that don't come. They averaged 3200 a game... Why don't you look up in a radius of 200 miles how many programs averages that who aren't Syracuse, Siena or Boston.

Get a hold of yourself Nancy...

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

Well, for what it's worth, you're referencing one section.

And that's the way that it will appear to the public watching, potential recruits etc. It just didn't look like people were into the game. And I don't think there should be much argument over the lack of attendance last night. 3 straight NCAAs - can't ask for much more. We've put a good product on the court but we haven't seen the translation into athletics popularity on campus.

Well, for what it's worth, you're referencing one section.

And that's the way that it will appear to the public watching, potential recruits etc. It just didn't look like people were into the game. And I don't think there should be much argument over the lack of attendance last night. 3 straight NCAAs - can't ask for much more. We've put a good product on the court but we haven't seen the translation into athletics popularity on campus.

Part of it was the mockery that was McElroy's administration of the AD. Sorry, but the dude sucked. I don't care if he got us to D1...1000 AD's could have done that. There has been a much better attempt at marketing since Benson joined. If McElroy was doing 10 years ago what Benson is doing now, we'd be in a much better position with our fanbase. And Benson has only touched the tip of the iceberg (there is still VERY limited displays of UA sports on campus, in classrooms, etc.)...but at least the marketing emails go out to students on the regular now. And then we've seen more billboards the last year or so...it's a start...much more work to do. Give Benson time before saying our fans suck.

As for not being into the game...the fans were shell shocked. I'm usually much more vocal and there were parts of the game where all I do was just sit and stare because I didn't know what was happening or how we got so bad overnight. The times we made runs, it got LOUD. Anyone who denies that is insane. Fact of the matter is, right or wrong, the players didn't give a reason for the fans to be loud. For much of the game, all they gave fans a reason for was to groan and shake our heads or put our hands on our hands in disbelief. That's on them, not on us the fans.

Edited by Eli

You are off your rocker....yes, he should take another job to spite the fans that don't come. They averaged 3200 a game... Why don't you look up in a radius of 200 miles how many programs averages that who aren't Syracuse, Siena or Boston.

Get a hold of yourself Nancy...

Nah he's pretty on point

What's a logical reason you can give me that why 3500-4000 didn't show up last night?

2500 is a joke.

All coach talked about was how important the tourney was, that's all he talks about every year. Every single fan loved the fact we could be so/so during the regular season and then BOOM the tourney comes and we're rocking and rolling. The game we had yesterday was pretty much as bad as it could go for us and as good as it could go for Hartford, but fans can't control that.

They can control showing up to a do or die game instead of pretending like winning tournament games and titles are easy. Fans let down the team more than the team let down the fans last night.