UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Big Purple Growl 2/4 vs Stony Brook

Attendance seems to be down fairly significantly this season. Not sure why, as even though the teams record isn't overwhelming, the product has been good.

I also wonder if they are counting attendance incorrectly.. it was the Vermont or some recent game that the number announced didn't at all seem correct. Not that, that doesn't mean it really is down. But I just wonder if how they calculate is off this year.

The Vermont game did seem significantly better attendance wise than the announced crowd was, but the numbers have felt lower overall.

Re: the shot, and clicks comment: ditto

I hate to say it, but one of the best moments of that game was watching the raucous SBU crowd completely motionless and silent. I know that's mean, but

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

Sorry, I cannot be at SEFCU tonight. I hope the Danes run SBU out of the building. From the comments made by team members since the first game this season, the team should be ready to inflict a terrible loss on the opponent. I also hope you guys here on the forum who can attend tonight have a great time. BTW, I saw no article in the Times Union either yesterday or today on the game.

I usually have to search the T-U for "Wilkin" and then sort by date to find a link to the story

TU+ today http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-sports/article/UAlbany-basketball-seeks-revenge-against-Stony-10907072.php

Nearly a month later, it's still a chore for anyone associated with the University at Albany men's basketball team to figure out how it lost to Stony Brook.

The final score on Jan. 8 at Island Federal Credit Union Arena was 72-70. The Great Danes had an epic collapse, blowing a 21-point lead in the final seven minutes. What looked like a certain victory ended up as one of the most demoralizing, agonizing and unbelievable losses in program history.
"It was like a bad dream," said UAlbany sophomore guard David Nichols.
"Anytime you lose, it stays with you," said Joe Cremo, another sophomore. "That game is still in the back of our heads."
UAlbany coach Will Brown said that game is one of three that will stick with him the rest of his career. The other two were the 2006 America East championship game — in which the Danes beat Vermont at SEFCU Arena, giving Brown the first of his five trips to the NCAA Tournament — and last year's upset loss to Hartford in the America East Tournament.
UAlbany gets its chance for redemption Saturday when Stony Brook plays at SEFCU Arena in the annual Big Purple Growl, which is part of the winter homecoming weekend.
Stony Brook (12-10 overall, 7-2 America East) is in second place after being picked seventh in the preseason coaches' poll. The Danes (14-10, 5-4) are tied for fourth with New Hampshire.
In the first Stony Brook game, the Danes were cruising, leading 68-47 with 7:02 left to play. Then it all went wrong. Stony Brook outscored UAlbany 25-2 the rest of the way, including 21-0 in the last 5:55. In the final seven minutes, UAlbany turned over the ball eight times. The Danes only managed to take four shots.
As Brown said after the game, it was a mess.
As frustrating a loss as it was, Brown applauded the effort of Stony Brook. Instead of caving in and accepting a lopsided home loss, the Seawolves got brave and kept playing.
Stony Brook has grown accustomed to close games. Eleven times this season the outcome of a Seawolves game has come down to the last shot. Stony Brook is 6-5 in those games.
The win over UAlbany goes down in Stony Brook basketball history as the greatest comeback ever.
"Being down 21, you could not have scripted and said we were going to win by two," Stony Brook first-year coach Jeff Boals said. "Our guys just have a lot of pride."
Brown could not remember being involved in a game with such an epic collapse.
Boals, who spent the past seven seasons as an assistant at Ohio State, said there was a game at Madison Square Garden in which the Buckeyes were down by eight to Notre Dame with 53 seconds left and came back to win.
Boals knows that the Danes will be ready for the rematch. And he has had to tell his players this: "Don't get it twisted," he said. "(UAlbany) whipped our tails for 34 minutes. We feel fortunate that we were able to win."
The Danes were hampered when Nichols, their point guard, fouled out with 3:51 left. He had been the only player the Danes had on the floor who wanted to handle the basketball. Once he fouled out, the Danes fumbled and stumbled while trying to break the Stony Brook three-quarter-court press.
Since that game, the Danes have gotten quality minutes off the bench from another point guard, Costa Anderson.
"I love the fact that our guys are hungry and anxious to play Stony Brook," Brown said. "But we are not going to win this game just because we had the great 2017 meltdown."

Attendance seems to be down fairly significantly this season. Not sure why, as even though the teams record isn't overwhelming, the product has been good.

Looks only slightly down after factoring in a 4,000+ crowd for today's game and what often is a healthy crowd for Senior Day. Should end the year right around a 3,000 average.

Marketing is important..but success of the team will almost always be the main driver of attendance. Headed into last year's BPG..we were 18-6 and 7-2 in conference. Headed into the 14-15 BPG..we were 16-7 and 11-0 in conference. This year we are 14-10 and 5-4.

Man that was an amazing day. I went absolutely bananas.

There is no chance anything will ever top this in my life from a sporting even standpoint. I lost my mind...legit almost blacked out from screaming.

It is as good as it gets. Until we make a run in the NCAAs...

• Like 2

We need revenge! Be loud!

As for the video that was posted, what an amazing moment! I was actually so distraught when it looked like we were going to lose that I went and stood on the walkway so I could leave quickly and not have to watch SBU fans storm our court. I know, I know, I sort of gave up when you should never give up and glad our players didn't feel the way I did. I'm actually in that video when the camera is behind Hooley before the shot up, I'm up in the left hand corner. When he hit the shot I went absolutely nuts, hugged some random people and then ran to the seats where my 4 friend were to celebrate with them. I've been to some amazing sporting events but that one tops them all.

Side note (story) - I was at Giants/Eagles when Deshaun Jackson returned a punt to knock the Giants out of the playoffs. From my seat I saw the play developing, the hole he had and that he was going to score and I just walked out. I was probably in the stairwell before he made it to the end zone. To this day I have still not seen more than the first half of that play and will change the channel anytime it is shown. I don't like watching opponents and their fans celebrate in our house.

Any news on Mike?

On the basketball weekly show this morning Brown said that Mike was sick for the Hartford game and then we saw he was taken out the second half of the Lowell game after he was bleeding.

(By the way re-watching "the shot"..Mikes 2 FTs that came before were so big. As much as he is struggle this year so glad we had him in there for those two shots)

Edited by MRSGDG

Any news on Mike?

On the basketball weekly show this morning Brown said that Mike was sick for the Hartford game and then we saw he was taken out the second half of the Lowell game after he was bleeding.

(By the way re-watching "the shot"..Mikes 2 FTs that came before were so big. As much as he is struggle this year so glad we had him in there for those two shots)

Stitched up and playing tn