UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

21-22 basketball schedule

2 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

The Times-Union story was headlined “Killings set to begin” which sounds kind of ominous 

Well...this schedule could certainly be a doozy. We don't have a bunch of MAAC or D3 teams...so we could easily go like 2-11. Maybe it's not us doing the killings but us getting the killings? lol.

Coach must be SUPER confident in this team to get this schedule. Or he doesn't care about the OOC record at all and feels like this will prepare the team to annihilate once AE play starts.

3 minutes ago, Eli said:

Well...this schedule could certainly be a doozy. We don't have a bunch of MAAC or D3 teams...so we could easily go like 2-11. Maybe it's not us doing the killings but us getting the killings? lol.

Coach must be SUPER confident in this team to get this schedule. Or he doesn't care about the OOC record at all and feels like this will prepare the team to annihilate once AE play starts.

It's probably a little bit of raising the profile of the program with better scheduling, getting on TV more playing bigger teams, and iron sharpening iron getting them ready for conference. 

It's also a good recruiting move. You're going to get a lot of mid-major recruits by saying "You're gonna play in Rupp Arena" than you are with slumming it with Canisius and Niagara..no offense to those programs.

20 hours ago, Eli said:

Do you mean Big Purple Growl? Purple and Gold was the intra-squad scrimmage in the pre-season. I know, I know, it's been like 5 years since we've watched UA hoops...damn COVID.

And I agree with you that it shouldn't be SBU or UVM because our team will miss out on one more game of butts in seats.

yes I meant the BPG not P&G - sorry typing too fast. I am hoping the Purple and Gold game starts again this year, and Killings pushes to have additional preseason events to help build some additional area support. Midnight madness, meet & greet, open practice sessions, that type of stuff. 

For all the things I liked about WB, his secrecy and closed doors always scared away some potential fans.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Eli said:

Tough schedule and it could get ugly fast.  Alot of new pieces  to gel together too.  I looked back to find a similar tough OOC and 2005-06 comes to mind with Florida, UCLA, San Diego St, and VCU.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

It's probably a little bit of raising the profile of the program with better scheduling, getting on TV more playing bigger teams, and iron sharpening iron getting them ready for conference. 

It's also a good recruiting move. You're going to get a lot of mid-major recruits by saying "You're gonna play in Rupp Arena" than you are with slumming it with Canisius and Niagara..no offense to those programs.

Why no offend though...live a little. Those are MAAC teams. 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bxq6bvs7hzulitrn5hu5

Edited by Clickclack
  • Haha 1

Not going to create another thread for this but found it very interesting.  I had no idea how small Albanys basketball budget was . Around 1.8 million . Hartfords budget was around 2.3 million (and they are going D3). Very disconcerting.  I understand we are a state school but if we don't get the money for resources we will never be any good. 

The link for this information is:

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/college-basketball-budgets-2020

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I get lambasted every time I suggest getting out of the CAA {and that is fine; I respect everyone opinions & I am fine with being disagreed with.} But what UA & NYS budgets/allows for athletics, we will never be able to compete in that league. Go back to the NEC, spread the savings around IMHO.

We are in the AE in Basketball... :P 

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

I get lambasted every time I suggest getting out of the CAA {and that is fine; I respect everyone opinions & I am fine with being disagreed with.} But what UA & NYS budgets/allows for athletics, we will never be able to compete in that league. Go back to the NEC, spread the savings around IMHO.

And that wont stop anytime soon....

There are two main reasons for college athletics:

• 1. Provide a well rounded experience for students, and allow them to grow as individuals and people, promote some school spirit. 
  • 2. Improve the name recognition of the university to improve job prospects after college, and to help connect the universities alumni with the university along with improving enrollment

The school has to determine its priorities and what it wants out of athletics.

If #2 is the reason, they can not leave the CAA and AE - they should be trying to determine how they can raise revenue and support Athletics more, try to compete for titles in the CAA and AE every year and work on trying to eventually move up to even bigger conferences in the long run. 

If they don't care about #2 and only want #1, then you are right, dropping out of the CAA and AE are the right move, but dropping to the NEC is the wrong move. They should follow Hartford and drop out of D1 altogether! No reason to spend D1 money if #2 isn't the goal. 

To me. #2 is the goal they are after. As an Alumni, I felt absolutely nothing for the university until 2006 when the Danes went Dancing, and a recruiter for a job I was applying for from Texas recognized UA from the UCONN game and gave me an interview because he knew the school. That is why we all want UA Athletics to improve it's national name recognition in Men's Basketball and Football. The other sports are all about #1. 

We need to be focusing on doing what it takes to outgrow the CAA and AE (in 10-20 years would be a realistic goal) or we need to not waste any money on athletics at the D1 level and put those funds into improving academic standing and student experience for the various college rankings. Even if it is trying to be the #1 party school in the country again like we were in the mid-90s ... that may have been bad publicity, but I am sure that attracted some students!

• Like 2

I agree with all you say and LIKED your post. My argument is that the CAA does little or nothing to enhance UA “name recognition”. Nobody cares about FCS football. I doubt 10 people out of 100 could tell you N.Dakota State has won 8 of the last 10 FCS champs. And even if I’m wrong about 0 interest in FCS; what do you think UA chances are of ever winning the CAA or for that matter the FCS champ. My argument is spend the money on our AmEast squads where we are competitive and compete well and have many champs & NCAA appearances. I would NOT go DIII football; but go somewhere where we can save money & be competitive. The only option I see is the NEC; unless the north CAA teams split & form their own league. Anyhow thanks for your post.