UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Like most editorials, it's a very selective piece. They neglected the following:

• the surge in applications a school experiences when a sports program achieves major success. (hence a lowering of the acceptance rate, which is a major factor in national rankings)

• the sense of community and school spirit that a major sports program offers…which leads to more nostalgic and invested DONORS

• that, as much as I value the humanities…let's be honest: we've never heard any buzz on national television about Albany's French and Russian departments.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most editorials, it's a very selective piece. They neglected the following:

• the surge in applications a school experiences when a sports program achieves major success. (hence a lowering of the acceptance rate, which is a major factor in national rankings)

• the sense of community and school spirit that a major sports program offers…which leads to more nostalgic and invested DONORS

• that, as much as I value the humanities…let's be honest: we've never heard any buzz on national television about Albany's French and Russian departments.

'

This whole argument about Russian and French is a joke. The students had already voted with their feet and wallets long before they got cancelled. Correct me if I'm wrong, going off memory here but those programs saw such low enrollment that it didn't make sense to keep them as majors. There was very little to no interest. The school did the right thing and restructured them.

What a mess of an editorial.

Let's see, they think the new $20M is for the T&F complex and intramural field (already built). They say a modest amount should be spent on "intramural and fitness programs" - like the IM field they just opposed, and public use of the track?

Again with the French and Russian courses, and thinking capital funds can be used for operating oosts.

Don't mention that the temporary seats had to be closed for one game because a bolt came loose, something that wouldn't happen with permanent seating.

And a cheap shot at the 1-11 record.

'

This whole argument about Russian and French is a joke. The students had already voted with their feet and wallets long before they got cancelled. Correct me if I'm wrong, going off memory here but those programs saw such low enrollment that it didn't make sense to keep them as majors. There was very little to no interest. The school did the right thing and restructured them.

Excellent point. The students voted with their feet. Those majors were very unpopular. Asking the university to keep them is like asking GM to continue selling the Chevy Nova. If people don't want a product and your losing money are you obligated to continue selling it?

Let's not forget this is the community's largest outdoor venue. Why should the Capital District not have a community venue?

Yep. One could argue that a decade of D1 sports achievements and accompanying name recognition has done more for the value of our degrees

than 150+ years of academics.

It's clear the TU editorial board has limited knowledge of college athletics or the outside world.

For that matter I think a lot of Capital District residents should visit other parts of the country.

Visit Boise Idaho, Athens Georgia, Columbus Ohio. Hell, go to a high school game in Kennesaw Georgia. They would be shocked to see the community engagement, pride and support.

Too many folks in the Capital District really have a Smallbany outlook.

The TU is a joke. They have paid money to put their name on a building used by a minor league sports team and used by a college sports team. If they are so concerned with academics, I am sure there are many academic buildings in the area that could use more funds and maybe even a few that would not mind being associated with the TU. They have made a business decision (whether right or wrong) that a way to "build their brand" is putting their name on that particular building. But UAlbany investing money is a sports facility to help "build a brand "is a problem with the Times Useless. Gee I wonder why :)

Edited by bob87

GDG asked Peter Iorizzo a few questions...about the TU "making" story of something UA said a year ago. Must be a slow "Were You Seen" week....

That's the media, making a story of nothing new, and boxing it up with a bow as something that's news worthy.

And even though below Pete says his article doesn't imply a 'expansion now' it does say "Now the school is talking about building a $20 million addition." in the article. So the TU article is implying something that the writer below stated isn't the case...

Just annoying when the press makes issues with our stadium when there isn't really an issue at hand.

----

‏@PeteIorizzo 41m

Robert Jones, @ualbany president, sent an email to the campus saying the school has no immediate plans to expand the football stadium.

‏@fessland

@PeteIorizzo @ualbany out of curiosity, who/what was the source that said the university was specifically pushing for immediate expansion?

PeteIorizzo 25m

@fessland The story doesn't say the university is pushing for immediate expansion.

‏@fessland 23m

@PeteIorizzo oh, thought that's what the story was about.. that the push was for expansion now instead of the general plans from past 4-5yrs

‏@fessland 20m

@PeteIorizzo I believe BOFO was built w/ the stated goal of future expansion.. thought the article was saying that they wanted expansion now

‏@PeteIorizzo 19m

@fessland Doesn't say that anywhere in the story.

@fessland 17m

@PeteIorizzo gotcha.. so it was a review of the school's publicly stated goal over the past few yrs to eventually grow the current stadium?

PeteIorizzo 11m

@fessland Yes, that's pretty accurate.

Edited by MsGDG

The TU is a joke. They have paid money to put their name on a building used by a minor league sports team and used by a college sports team. If they are so concerned with academics, I am sure there are many academic buildings in the area that could use more funds and maybe even a few that would not mind being associated with the TU. They have made a business decision (whether right or wrong) that a way to "build their brand" is putting their name on that particular building. But UAlbany investing money is a sports facility to help "build a brand "is a problem with the Times Useless. Gee I wonder why :)

This is actually a great point.

'

Excellent point. The students voted with their feet. Those majors were very unpopular. Asking the university to keep them is like asking GM to continue selling the Chevy Nova. If people don't want a product and your losing money are you obligated to continue selling it?

Let's not forget this is the community's largest outdoor venue. Why should the Capital District not have a community venue?

I wonder what it would cost for a full page ad in the tu rag to list some of these points and others. A paying ad would be the only way we could get our point out there, because the tu will simply never give us an honest shake otherwise. Anyone on this blog in advertising? Anyone want to take up a collection?

Not sure if this was posted..

UAlbany president: No immediate plans to expand football stadium

http://blog.timesunion.com/sports/ualbany-president-no-immediate-plans-to-expand-football-stadium/513/

This was totally blundered. Very upset this wasn't handled better