UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB vs. Stony Brook 2/17

3883 seems low to me. I have been at games that 3,000 was the official number and the place felt empty compared to that.

A few comments:

Reffing seemed bad where I was. They missed a travel call on UA early that led to an Ennema 3

There was a foul on SB near the end that also had a goaltending that wasn't called. Should have been 2 points plus one instead of 2 shots. 1 point at the end in a game like that could have made a huge difference. If Albany gets that call it's a completely different game .

Not sure what it looked like on TV, but from where I sat it appeared there was a shooting foul 'albeit a half court shot' that the refs didn't say he was shooting.

Speaking of that not even getting a 1 and 1, I am not sure how Stony Brook managed to only have 3 fouls in the half with a couple minutes to go.

No mention of the suspected second goaltending late in the second half? From my angle that ball certainly appeared to be on the downward trajectory.

apparently looking at replay (according to UA fans) it was not a goaltend. You and I sat near each other up top so our viewing angle may have contributed to what looked like a goaltend.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently looking at replay (according to UA fans) it was not a goaltend. You and I sat near each other up top so our viewing angle may have contributed to what looked like a goaltend.

Thank you, sir. At the time it seemed like a rather egregious non-call.

Edited by haggyland

I usually read the entire blog before adding my 2¢, but I thought I would post before I read other opinions and maybe change my mind; but I think you saw the two best teams in the league battling toe to toe last night. brook still scares me more than vt and definitely more than hampshire.

Coach says we got killed on the boards in the second half and probably so; but we did win the overall rebounds 39-37 and offensive 16-13. Also blamed to's, but 10 for the game against a really good defense is not totally awful. It was definitely like a heavy weight prize fight and brook got in a couple more punches at the right time (and the ref's appeared to miss a number of low blows).

I hope I am wrong and someone beats brook in the tournament, even though I would not mind a rematch and a chance to KNOCK them out ourselves.

Now to read what you all are saying. I maybe back. Sorry.

I usually read the entire blog before adding my 2¢, but I thought I would post before I read other opinions and maybe change my mind; but I think you saw the two best teams in the league battling toe to toe last night. brook still scares me more than vt and definitely more than hampshire.

Coach says we got killed on the boards in the second half and probably so; but we did win the overall rebounds 39-37 and offensive 16-13. Also blamed to's, but 10 for the game against a really good defense is not totally awful. It was definitely like a heavy weight prize fight and brook got in a couple more punches at the right time (and the ref's appeared to miss a number of low blows).

I hope I am wrong and someone beats brook in the tournament, even though I would not mind a rematch and a chance to KNOCK them out ourselves.

Now to read what you all are saying. I maybe back. Sorry.

That was the best Brook has played in a long while...UVM is better offensively as a unit and defensively. Based on their results to date this season, I'm not sure Brook can sustain this level of player consistently. Give me them over UVM.

Not to mention SBU has a knack to choke when the chips are down.

Edited by Clickclack

I screamed at my TV, "GOALTEND!!!!" and then they showed the replay twice from two different angles and he tipped the ball before it hit the backboard which is not a goaltend. I will say that our guys were getting hacked bad on the offensive putbacks we were attempting with no calls and then Warney gets touched and there is an and one situation a few times. There were also two charge calls on us that the replay showed the defender was backpedaling and nowhere near in position to take a charge but that's how it goes and for the most part they let them play, which I like.

I'm on the opposite side. This SBU team scares me because they are playing very good defense right now. They gave us fits in the second half with their switching and getting around picks and screens and overall defensive intensity.

3883 seems low to me. I have been at games that 3,000 was the official number and the place felt empty compared to that.

A few comments:

Reffing seemed bad where I was. They missed a travel call on UA early that led to an Ennema 3

There was a foul on SB near the end that also had a goaltending that wasn't called. Should have been 2 points plus one instead of 2 shots. 1 point at the end in a game like that could have made a huge difference. If Albany gets that call it's a completely different game .

Not sure what it looked like on TV, but from where I sat it appeared there was a shooting foul 'albeit a half court shot' that the refs didn't say he was shooting.

Speaking of that not even getting a 1 and 1, I am not sure how Stony Brook managed to only have 3 fouls in the half with a couple minutes to go.

No mention of the suspected second goaltending late in the second half? From my angle that ball certainly appeared to be on the downward trajectory.

Haggyland, my original post mentioned the so called goal tending. From where I sat, it seemed pretty clear. It looked to me like it was swatted off the backboard before it had a chance.

Click, you may have been speaking Haggyland and not me, but I had about as good a look at it as a fan possibly could.

This isn't that particular play as I put my phone away and stopped taking pics and videos but here is the view from where I sat...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/cuvt0g215pqcngw/AACqgKQgchdVbdHzHbYro7z_a

I screamed at my TV, "GOALTEND!!!!" and then they showed the replay twice from two different angles and he tipped the ball before it hit the backboard which is not a goaltend. I will say that our guys were getting hacked bad on the offensive putbacks we were attempting with no calls and then Warney gets touched and there is an and one situation a few times. There were also two charge calls on us that the replay showed the defender was backpedaling and nowhere near in position to take a charge but that's how it goes and for the most part they let them play, which I like.

I'm on the opposite side. This SBU team scares me because they are playing very good defense right now. They gave us fits in the second half with their switching and getting around picks and screens and overall defensive intensity.

Exactly, with their defense SB can beat any team on any night. The reason we shot 34% is not because of an "off night" but because of their defensive intensity. It's not as easy to shoot well when your legs are working harder on both ends of the court.

Haggyland, my original post mentioned the so called goal tending. From where I sat, it seemed pretty clear. It looked to me like it was swatted off the backboard before it had a chance.

Click, you may have been speaking Haggyland and not me, but I had about as good a look at it as a fan possibly could.

This isn't that particular play as I put my phone away and stopped taking pics and videos but here is the view from where I sat...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/cuvt0g215pqcngw/AACqgKQgchdVbdHzHbYro7z_a

Wow, somehow I missed the "goaltending" part of your original post. As such, I formally apologize!

I think that non-call was more suspicious because SBU had such a blatant goaltending call earlier in the game...a past history was proven!

Edited by haggyland

I'm always curious how many adjustments (or future adjustments) coaches make during these regular season games against teams they're likely to face in the post-season.

For the most part, I thought we guarded Warney the same way we did in the first game. Rotating Peters, Stire and Mike Rowley on him without much double-teaming. I actually though Mike did an OK job keeping him from forcing his way into the basket. Warney was just hitting those shotput shots and there was nothing to do against them.

I was watching Warney when we had the ball. Whenever Sam caught the ball in the post, Warney left whoever was guarding him and went right to the basket because he knew Sam was going to get there eventually. It was a pretty good strategy.

Singletary smartly tried to run a little when SB took away our post game but those charging calls put an end to that.

The last five or six games it's seemed like we've been content to let teams hang around and were confident we could pull away from them in the end. We got away with it for a long time and almost did again last night. Hopefully we can recalibrate and refocus after this.