UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

IMO, the only good thing to come out of the Benson administration so far was some of the halftime shows in 19-20...they were actually decent. The unicycle Panda lady? That was pretty great. The aerobatic dunkers? I can dig it.

That stuff NEVER happened with McElroy.

But...at the same time...that's really sad that that's the best we can come up with as a 'win' for Benson.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

$15 is a joke no doubt. But that $15 is supposed to go back to the athletic department. 

I screamed about this for years...get as MANY people to show up even if you have to entice them to in order to pack the arena, those fans will then turn into lifelong fans and you can within reason try to bleed them for some money. Listen, D1 programs take money to run. 

What he did was put up barriers all over the place to people casually showing up instead of building the fanbase first. Predictably, attendance under his leadership tanked. This is how stupid he is...say 400 cars showed up, assuming the 1000 fans that came at least some car pooled, that's $6000 bucks, maybe as some walked, some got their season tickets as part of a season ticket package etc. How much did he lose by people not showing up and spending $20+ bucks on concessions etc. It's an idiotic approach and yet here we are....

Edited by Clickclack

2 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

He's directed funds to Football.  But that isn't enough either.  Again, the point of fundraising is to...fundraise.  That's the ADEPT's job, which includes advertising.  Those numbers are not what they should be for a man who is a self-proclaimed fundraiser and touts that he was part (major part) of fundraising for ODU's athletic expansion. 

McElroy sold the arena rights...Benson let that lapse and has done nothing with it for how many years now? That was at least a few hundred K and nothing...

4 minutes ago, Eli said:

IMO, the only good thing to come out of the Benson administration so far was some of the halftime shows in 19-20...they were actually decent. The unicycle Panda lady? That was pretty great. The aerobatic dunkers? I can dig it.

That stuff NEVER happened with McElroy.

But...at the same time...that's really sad that that's the best we can come up with as a 'win' for Benson.

Actually, also the increased marketing in Crossgates. That's about it. And were either of those actually him?

7 minutes ago, Don Nichols said:

Because Coach Brown could have leveraged his success and left several times.  He could have easily moved on several times.  

It's unclear how true this is with the exception of the St. Bonna situation. I've been here a long time, know a lot and have seen heard a lot and it's unclear if he's ever had a solid offer on the table. Maybe Dartmouth where he went through the interview process. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Clickclack said:

It's unclear how true this is with the exception of the St. Bonna situation. I've been here a long time, know a lot and have seen heard a lot and it's unclear if he's ever had a solid offer on the table. Maybe Dartmouth where he went through the interview process. 

And based on the salary and the retirement package in NY it's doubtful that Dartmouth was anything more than a lateral move.  

12 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

McElroy sold the arena rights...Benson let that lapse and has done nothing with it for how many years now? That was at least a few hundred K and nothing...

Exactly 200k, per season for 10 years.  That's real cash.

Why did Mike C, a huge UA supporter, not buck up again for SEFCU?  Hmmmmm.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don Nichols said:

Because Coach Brown could have leveraged his success and left several times.  He could have easily moved on several times.  

Dartmouth, St. Bonaventure, Fordham.... (others).  Facts.  And by the way Coach, I think many of us (and I know the Brown family likely does) appreciate the words you have put here today...and David just posted on Twitter. 

I wonder if WB made is clear in the few chances he got that he wanted to keep his family in Albany and some schools didn't want to waste their time courting him to be their coach.  I know no one at all so this is pure speculation from me an may be way off base. 

Just now, DanesRGood said:

I wonder if WB made is clear in the few chances he got that he wanted to keep his family in Albany and some schools didn't want to waste their time courting him to be their coach.  I know no one at all so this is pure speculation from me an may be way off base. 

Truth.

2 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Exactly 200k, per season for 10 years.  That's real cash.

Why did Mike C, a huge UA supporter, not buck up again for SEFCU?  Hmmmmm.....

You're a lot closer than I am but maybe his board asked him to justify $200k/year for an arena that for it's biggest draw was getting the same 1,800 people every game. 

Just now, McFan said:

You're a lot closer than I am but maybe his board asked him to justify $200k/year for an arena that for it's biggest draw was getting the same 1,800 people every game. 

Don't disagree at all, and it makes sense.  I do think there is a personality conflict, however.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Dartmouth, St. Bonaventure, Fordham.... (others).  Facts.  And by the way Coach, I think many of us (and I know the Brown family likely does) appreciate the words you have put here today...and David just posted on Twitter. 

Dartmouth and St. Bona for sure...the rest is conjecture at best.