UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

5 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

I don’t need names and it doesn’t matter anymore. I’m just saying it’s easy to say he/she did that to this person and they did this on a message board without proving its true. No one has explained why benson gave him a five year deal with two years left back in 2016 if he was telling him and his staff he was going to fire him. 

It's rather simple...in the prior contract Brown went back to back to back...Bensons hands were tied and he was still relatively new trying to not ruffle many feathers. He didn't have the same reservations this time around and Brown didn't force his hand by having 3 straight losing seasons. 

Had he not renewed Brown, MB would have been run out on a rail...

Edited by Clickclack

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

And I want to say, I do agree that our recruiting has been WAY MORE miss than hit.  And, I point to one name: CHAD O'Donnell.

Again, I challenge people to question the athletic department on his departure.  

If there was ever a FOIL to file...this is the one! LOL

For those who have the ESPN App, scroll to Top Headlines and number 3 is "Brown out as Albany Hoops coach after 20 years".  It's right after Hamilton is extended 5 years at FSU.  Guess we can't get him now, lol.

• Haha 1

Let's also talk about attendance, which is down EVERYWHERE...but...plummeted at UA due to a lot of moves made by Benson.  You need butts in the seats to bring in revenue...perfect example is fundraising.  $1 from millions versus 1 million from 1 donor...do the math.

2 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Let's also talk about attendance, which is down EVERYWHERE...but...plummeted at UA due to a lot of moves made by Benson.  You need butts in the seats to bring in revenue...perfect example is fundraising.  $1 from millions versus 1 million from 1 donor...do the math.

The dude charged for parking...a mile away in the freezing cold. This man is a complete imbecile...lol...you want to talk about attendance? BWAHAHA

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

This. $15 for parking was a joke. Should have been like $1 or $2 or free...instead $15 parking + 4 tickets + vending for 4 people = too expensive of a family night out so people found other places to spend their cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Charging up to $15 for parking was and continues to be a huge mistake. If you want casual fans and families to show up, you can't nickel and dime them to death

Edit: Great minds

Edited by blorp

6 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Absolutely. In fact, I think the new coach shouldn't take the job unless he gets a max 5 year contract and guarantees on COLA, summer school, buy games, budget increases, and a real direction on SEFCU.

My question is how are these things supposed to be accomplished. Isn’t there a set budget for each athletic program? Donations you said are up marginally, but still up since Benson started. What would be the move to bring in more money? Directing more funds to one program means the another would get less, no?

100% agree with buy in games. Coaches control the scheduling and I’ve seen Oneonta on the damn schedule the past 4 seasons. Who’s fault is that?

3 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

There is more to the attendance issue as all games have been carried through first the America East tv Stream then ESPN+.

6 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

I lay blame on both parties here.  Facilities needed some work.  Some of the moves that GDAC took were puzzling (awarding 1 year donor at say $1,500 vs. a 20 year donor at $500/year).  And parking charge was stupid.

But (and I'm beating a dead horse here) if you aren't winning you need to at least entertain me. His style just isn't what people want to see.  My opinion Will would rather lose 52-50 than 76-74.  I give him credit for recognizing late this year that he had some guys that could push the ball.  

Edited by McFan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eli said:

This. $15 for parking was a joke. Should have been like $1 or $2 or free...instead $15 parking + 4 tickets + vending for 4 people = too expensive of a family night out so people found other places to spend their cash.

$15 is a joke no doubt. But that $15 is supposed to go back to the athletic department. 

4 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

My question is how are these things supposed to be accomplished. Isn’t there a set budget for each athletic program? Donations you said are up marginally, but still up since Benson started. What would be the move to bring in more money? Directing more funds to one program means the another would get less, no?

100% agree with buy in games. Coaches control the scheduling and I’ve seen Oneonta on the damn schedule the past 4 seasons. Who’s fault is that?

He's directed funds to Football.  But that isn't enough either.  Again, the point of fundraising is to...fundraise.  That's the ADEPT's job, which includes advertising.  Those numbers are not what they should be for a man who is a self-proclaimed fundraiser and touts that he was part (major part) of fundraising for ODU's athletic expansion.