UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB 2021-22 Preseason - News/Articles/Predictions/Chatter

6 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

My one reflection when speaking one-on-one with the coach and listening to his talk to the group: much more soft spoken, words carefully chosen, still passionate however more controlled.

You make it sound like Brown was the 2nd coming of Jimmy Patsos lol. Brown is very well and soft spoken. IMO. 

9 hours ago, Eli said:

You make it sound like Brown was the 2nd coming of Jimmy Patsos lol. Brown is very well and soft spoken. IMO. 

Sadly Eli, living in Tampa, limits the opportunity for you to have a planned or unplanned meeting with our new coach, Dwayne Killings.  Like today's unplanned face to face outside SEFCU Arena and Casey Stadium during halftime of the UAlbany WSOC quarterfinal match...I saw the softer side for the second time....or by the way saw the parental side of Dwayne Killings ...so as I said before Eli enjoy being a "great dane fan" from the sidelines of Tampa.  I am almost certain the game day Coach Killings will be different.  If we are talking about Will Brown, yes, he did look quite well during the Albany Patroon news conference....I am certain Will would be glad you noticed.....from Tampa

So I live in the captial district and side with Eli 100 percent.  I have spoken to both multiple times at length. (Last time for Killings was at the trick or treat for the kids). Both or extremely well spoken and very family oriented. 

Killings however seems like he relates to the college kids a lot better. Really seems to understand the social media game. However he is 0-0 as a head coach and Brown won 5 titles. 

I'm extremely excited about the season and look forward to seeing what's ahead. I think we got to the ceiling with Brown and I think Killings ceiling may be higher. Only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

Sadly Eli, living in Tampa, limits the opportunity for you to have a planned or unplanned meeting with our new coach, Dwayne Killings.  Like today's unplanned face to face outside SEFCU Arena and Casey Stadium during halftime of the UAlbany WSOC quarterfinal match...I saw the softer side for the second time....or by the way saw the parental side of Dwayne Killings ...so as I said before Eli enjoy being a "great dane fan" from the sidelines of Tampa.  I am almost certain the game day Coach Killings will be different.  If we are talking about Will Brown, yes, he did look quite well during the Albany Patroon news conference....I am certain Will would be glad you noticed.....from Tampa

Your post has a lot of letters but says nothing. Frankly, it's a bunch of drivel. What does me living in Tampa have anything to do with anything? You know I have eyes and ears and access to this thing called The Internet right?

All I wanted to get across was that both are well spoken, measured individuals...which is not debatable.

Carry on...

Edited by Eli

I would like to hear either concurring or counterpoint about Coach Killings discussion from Wednesday .... I offered a first hand thoughts about how the message was delivered by Coach Killings .... On content ... Coach Killings kept his answers short .... Eli, If you had ears and eyes at this event,  have I missed their comments?

To UA1882: do you have any thoughts about Wednesday?   ..... Further, UA1882 ...... I am left concerned by these words "Killings however seems like he relates to the college kids a lot better".  I feel the new crew of assistants are a huge help in player relations.....

On Social Media ..... that push is being driven from the top....Mark Benson...with football faltering...the hope is that both basketball teams can put fans in the stands .... following Great Dane men's and women's sports on Instagram...the amount of postings is impressive.

Eight days and counting......will there be answers or will there be questions ....season 51 for me

Edited by cwdickens
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:05 AM, Clickclack said:

I have no expectations for this year...DK needs time to put in his system and get this team playing together. Just gonna watch the games and enjoy being in SEFCU again regardless of results. Looking for steady development of the program and faster paced play. 

I have one expectation for this year ...  that the UAlbany MBB, Coach Killings and his assistants will overachieve this season ... finish in the the top four of the conference 21-10 overall  13 -5 in conference ... forth place finish in very tight conference standings .... Towson will be a great test for this team as Towson was picked 8th  in the CAA MBB Preseason Poll

• Like 1

Thanks all for keeping the info flowing. I fell asleep here in TN. but am excited for a new season, new coach, new players. Upped my giving to the University and hope there's a game in Nashville, Huntsville, or Memphis sometime soon. I may get to Lexington on the 22nd but that's a long haul (not saying there's a relationship btwn the 2 lol except for my interest in the college). 

• Like 1

There is a season preview on the athletic site for the mens Bball team.  Don't know who wrote it but it sounded like one of us who had felt this was one of CB's undoing:

"Starting his first day on campus, Killings made it a priority to compile a coaching staff that could bring different viewpoints to the court. He did just that, assembling a staff from around the country."

Good Morning,

I have one question that is consistantly in my head since Dwayne's hire. I dont mean any disrespect to WB and i dont want to change any thing he has done for ualbany during his 20 year tenure or tone it down. BUT, should we have given him his last contract or should of ripped the band-aid sooner? i mean i guess we will know when the games are played. Dwayne is definitely bringing a new voice and light to Ualbany athletics. I am getting excited like i was for our AE runs to the tourney. I live in philly area and debating if i can go to the Lehigh or lasalle games.

1 hour ago, alexfamous said:

Good Morning,

I have one question that is consistantly in my head since Dwayne's hire. I dont mean any disrespect to WB and i dont want to change any thing he has done for ualbany during his 20 year tenure or tone it down. BUT, should we have given him his last contract or should of ripped the band-aid sooner? i mean i guess we will know when the games are played. Dwayne is definitely bringing a new voice and light to Ualbany athletics. I am getting excited like i was for our AE runs to the tourney. I live in philly area and debating if i can go to the Lehigh or lasalle games.

His last contract was coming off 3 straight NCAA Tournament appearances and a freak upset loss in the AE tournament at the hands of a ridiculously hot shooting Pancake. Not sure there was any reason to "tear the band-aid off" sooner. I mean this contract had an almost upset win in the AE tournament in Burlington, then was derailed by the transfer of the two big stars at the same time and the scramble to rebuild from that. To me it was a victim of circumstance. Now making a move feels right at this time as the program needed a refresh for the local fans and new world of athletics, but pretty much everyone was onboard with a contract for life for WB when the last negotiations happened.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alexfamous said:

Good Morning,

No, the contract was warranted. The double gut punch of Nichols and Cremo leaving, plus the failure to achieve and grow for the new Aussie trio achieved hard times. I agree that a fresh approach was needed now. DK needs to show he’s got the goods to produce a winning program and so far he has checked all of the boxes. Beginning on the 9th, we will see when it really means something. 

• Like 2

I heard from a friend who has season tickets in the section (650) behind the home bench that UA has decided to swap the benches. The reason for the change is so the visiting team will be shooting into the basket in front of the student section in the second half of the game. Nate has been contacting people with seats in that section to see if they want their seats moved to behind the new home bench (550).  Our seats are in 600 on the aisle and were picked based on proximity to the home bench. Unfortunately there aren’t seats as good on the other side. Did anyone else notice this change on the seating chart of the arena? 

Edited by tnehurley
Fix typo

23 minutes ago, tnehurley said:

I heard from a friend who has season tickets in the section (650) behind the home bench that UA has decided to swap the benches. The reason for the change is so the visiting team will be shooting into the basket in front of the student section in the second half of the game. Nate has been contacting people with seats in that section to see if they want their seats moved to behind the new home bench (550).  Our seats are in 600 on the aisle and were picked based on proximity to the home bench. Unfortunately there aren’t seats as good on the other side. Did anyone else notice this change on the seating chart of the arena? 

Not gonna lie, that's pretty smart. lol. But also, we have students? lol.

UA needs to start giving out free pizza again if you stay for the game. I took advantage of that back in 2014/2015 or so when I was a night school student right after class (since I had worked all day, etc. before class).

3 hours ago, tnehurley said:

Just looked it up now. Website has been updated. Interesting. I had my seats in the same spot since 1999. The benches moved once before early in coach Brown's tenure. I didn't move then and I am not moving now. But I won't experience again the fans from South eastern NY line up besides me to storm the court and then immediately clear the aisle so I had extra space to celebrate Peter Hooley's basket. 🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bob87 said:

Just looked it up now. Website has been updated. Interesting. I had my seats in the same spot since 1999. The benches moved once before early in coach Brown's tenure. I didn't move then and I am not moving now. But I won't experience again the fans from South eastern NY line up besides me to storm the court and then immediately clear the aisle so I had extra space to celebrate Peter Hooley's basket. 🍺🍺

That was hilarious lol. Greatest sports moment of my life. Will never forget the looks on their faces as they just sat there. 

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1