UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2022 - 2023 MBB Schedule

4 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

For those who thought the “rivalry” might continue, we are not on Stony Brook’s schedule for 2022-23

Still makes no sense to me. This should be a no brainer. UA and Bing should both play SBU and Buffalo each year. Easy 2 non conference games to schedule. Watch us end up with a D3 on the schedule again.... Blah.

On 8/9/2022 at 1:31 PM, godanesgo99 said:

Confirmed OOC schedule so far:

• 11/12 @ Siena (Albany Cup/MVP Arena/Neutral Site)
  • 11/17 @ St Joes
  • 11/21 and 11/22 @ Sunshine Slam in Daytona Beach (Ocean Bracket)
    • Teams in our bracket are Presbyterian, Austin Peay, and Bucknell
  • 12/10 @ Providence
  • 12/28 @ Virginia

Potential Games:

• Road Games (Return from last seasons home games): @Towson, @Harvard, @Columbia, @Niagara
  • Home Games (Return from last seasons road games): La Salle, Yale, Lehigh
  • No idea if the above were home and home contracts, but they make sense. 
  • I am doubting that any of the other games from last years Kentucky/Kansas trip will have return games, but of course they could.

If all of the above happen, that is 13 OOC games (Counts as 12 for game limits because of the MTE). With a 16 game conference schedule this year, I am guessing there is only 1 or 2 more games left to announce. With the SEFCU construction I would guess that 1 will be a road game and 1 would be a home game. Having only 3 or 4 OOC home games is probably about right this year. Enough to play a few home events on a strange court, but more importantly it gives additional ability to pack a home schedule the following year for the renovated arena. 

Confirmed OOC schedule so far:

• 11/7 @ Towson 
  • 11/12 @ Siena (Albany Cup/MVP Arena/Neutral Site)
  • 11/17 @ St Joes
  • 11/21 and 11/22 @ Sunshine Slam in Daytona Beach (Ocean Bracket)
    • Teams in our bracket are Presbyterian, Austin Peay, and Bucknell
  • 12/10 @ Providence
  • 12/28 @ Virginia

Towson schedule released today so that one @bob87mentioned is now confirmed.

6 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Still makes no sense to me. This should be a no brainer. UA and Bing should both play SBU and Buffalo each year. Easy 2 non conference games to schedule. Watch us end up with a D3 on the schedule again.... Blah.

History shows that over the last ten plus years only Binghamton has had a two away for one home series with UB .... that ended 7 years ago +/- .... UB has never played Albany and Stony Brook in MBB and WBB .... for UB, with rare exceptions no OOC road trips over 3 hours via bus  .... so they view their natural NY opponents as Cornell, Syracuse, St. Bonnies, Niagara and Canisius .... the only way Albany gets to play UB is a road game .... common sense prevails in Buffalo .... lastly UB plays at least one D3 school every year .....

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

. UB has never played Albany and Stony Brook in MBB and WBB

Of course you mean at Division I. The men have played UB 30 times, the last in 1990. UB leads 21-9

As far as I can tell the women played the Bulls only once, winning in the SUNYAC playoffs in 1985.

I guess going D-I put a crimp in Buffalo's travel budget.

Edited by UAalum72

3 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Of course you mean at Division I. The men have played UB 30 times, the last in 1990. UB leads 21-9

As far as I can tell the women played the Bulls only once, winning in the SUNYAC playoffs in 1985.

I guess going D-I put a crimp in Buffalo's travel budget.

LOL ....  yes, I was looking at the modern era for both schools .... not the bygone era of which sadly , there are fewer and fewer people around that remember the DIII era.... considering their participation in the Mid America Conference ... spend the money on conference travel .... maintain your relations with your core OOC schools .... avoid needless travel .... sounds like spending money wisely  .... UB's wrestling team likely spends more money on traveling then basketball ....

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

7 hours ago, cwdickens said:

History shows that over the last ten plus years only Binghamton has had a two away for one home series with UB .... that ended 7 years ago +/- .... UB has never played Albany and Stony Brook in MBB and WBB .... for UB, with rare exceptions no OOC road trips over 3 hours via bus  .... so they view their natural NY opponents as Cornell, Syracuse, St. Bonnies, Niagara and Canisius .... the only way Albany gets to play UB is a road game .... common sense prevails in Buffalo .... lastly UB plays at least one D3 school every year .....

I know what has happened historically, but that doesn't mean it is right or makes sense. We have 4 SUNY schools that are division 1 in Athletics. While none are huge national names, games against each other should draw pretty well. In a perfect world all 4 SUNY schools would be in different conferences and there would be a SUNY Tournament on the OOC calendar each year that rotates from city to city for the SUNY Cup or something like that, but alas a smart and easy scheduling solution like that is above the heads of the SUNY leadership.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I know what has happened historically, but that doesn't mean it is right or makes sense. We have 4 SUNY schools that are division 1 in Athletics. While none are huge national names, games against each other should draw pretty well. In a perfect world all 4 SUNY schools would be in different conferences and there would be a SUNY Tournament on the OOC calendar each year that rotates from city to city for the SUNY Cup or something like that, but alas a smart and easy scheduling solution like that is above the heads of the SUNY leadership.... 

I am not disagreeing with with your statement; however who or what is the force to change what has occurred historically.  Is there any interest from the Stony Brook and Buffalo fan base for such a tournament?

As a reminder, The Albany Cup took 2 Athletic Directors over two years to come to a three year agreement, think about what would take to get four AD's and four MBB coaches to agree on a multiple year agreement.     

Further, I am of the belief that SBU sports administration is looking to put distance between themselves and America East Conference, in particular Albany and Binghamton.  With sports team scheduling, an individual institutional decision. no reason to throw mud at SUNY leadership, not their problem, not their concern.

4 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I am not disagreeing with with your statement; however who or what is the force to change what has occurred historically.  Is there any interest from the Stony Brook and Buffalo fan base for such a tournament?

As a reminder, The Albany Cup took 2 Athletic Directors over two years to come to a three year agreement, think about what would take to get four AD's and four MBB coaches to agree on a multiple year agreement.     

Further, I am of the belief that SBU sports administration is looking to put distance between themselves and America East Conference, in particular Albany and Binghamton.  With sports team scheduling, an individual institutional decision. no reason to throw mud at SUNY leadership, not their problem, not their concern.

Wow. I don't know what to say to this comment. I'm just gonna shake my head and wonder why I still post here. Something about your posts always rub me the wrong way and this one is no exception. I guess some people always want to argue. Definitely going to leave this board for a while, and help speed up the demise of the dwindling active fan base here. It's no longer fun to post and be active.

10 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Wow. I don't know what to say to this comment. I'm just gonna shake my head and wonder why I still post here. Something about your posts always rub me the wrong way and this one is no exception. I guess some people always want to argue. Definitely going to leave this board for a while, and help speed up the demise of the dwindling active fan base here. It's no longer fun to post and be active.

Just mark his posts as ignored. It got easier to visit once I started doing that. Only time I see them now is if I choose to unhide it or someone quotes his nonsense. This place definitely used to be hoppin, so I hear ya there. I don't know what the W stands for in his name, but I have a good idea what the C stands for. CDub is lucky DP never handed over the reins to this place (I've asked multiple times).

Anyway, back to the schedule...are we playing each of those teams in the tournament? So do we have 8 games? Presuming 29 or 30 games...and 15 or 16 for conference, that means we still have like 4-5 open dates yes?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eli said:

Just mark his posts as ignored. It got easier to visit once I started doing that. Only time I see them now is if I choose to unhide it or someone quotes his nonsense. This place definitely used to be hoppin, so I hear ya there. I don't know what the W stands for in his name, but I have a good idea what the C stands for. CDub is lucky DP never handed over the reins to this place (I've asked multiple times).

Anyway, back to the schedule...are we playing each of those teams in the tournament? So do we have 8 games? Presuming 29 or 30 games...and 15 or 16 for conference, that means we still have like 4-5 open dates yes?

Some very useful info here. I had no idea you could ignore posts, messages and mentions. Done, done and done. Although I will likely miss a few musings from Gull Guano Point or wherever the heck he hangs out. 

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 11:14 PM, godanesgo99 said:

When does pointing out the lack of insight your discussion into a subject you created.  Let me make real simple for you ask yourself this question .... why would UB and SBU try themselves to tournament with BU and UA whether one year or 4 years?.... At this point .... no reason unless you can find a sponsor to underwrite the tournament.  Yes, I feel same way about posting here....

7 hours ago, cwdickens said:

When does pointing out the lack of insight your discussion into a subject you created.  Let me make real simple for you ask yourself this question .... why would UB and SBU try themselves to tournament with BU and UA whether one year or 4 years?.... At this point .... no reason unless you can find a sponsor to underwrite the tournament.  Yes, I feel same way about posting here....

Blocked for poor reading comprehension, unnecessary arguing, and all around annoyingness. 

The original post on this topic clearly says it can't happen because they aren't all in different conferences, so an exercise in putting an idea down for reasons that may or may not exist in a universe where it could possibly happen just gives me a headache.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How someone hasn't put a yearly NY State type mid-major tournament together is mind blowing...

UA, Bingo, SB, Hofstra, Siena, LIU, Columbia, Buffalo, Marist, Niagara, St. Francis, Cornell, Wagner, Fordham, St. Bonaventure, Colgate, Canisus, Manhattan

Put together a yearly 4 team tournament, you got enough NY schools, this way you can avoid conference teams playing each other. I would rather see this then these teams playing DII or DIII schools.

Hell, I even got a name...Empire State Classic.

• Thanks 1

• cwdickens changed the title to 2022 - 2023 MBB Schedule