UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lawsuit

3 hours ago, jimbo said:

I’m not a season ticket holder, but I understand an email went out that suggested that the new system would revolve around current donations rather than historical. I might not have that right so perhaps some others could chime in on this. 

Yep. This. I followed up and responded to the GDAC team asking for what my minimum level of contribution needed to be now to be assured that I can pick my seat in the new arena revamp later and was told that they would find out and let me know. I followed up after not hearing anything and was told to check back in the spring, basically.

If I get bumped, I will be pissed and that will put the nail in the coffin of me being a season ticket holder ever again for any sport (at least until the top leadership changes). The only pennies UA will see out of me is if I'm in Albany and happen to go to a game. If I get bumped, they should expect zero ongoing contributions whether I'm local or not in perpetuity.

This program is quickly annihilating any connection that many fans had with the program. It's a remarkable feat how quickly many have become apathetic.

5 hours ago, Albany Weave said:

What is the proposed changes to the SEFCU seat preference?

The text of the letter sent by Craig Turnbull:

Dear UAlbany Men’s Basketball Season Ticket Holders,

We’re all excited to begin the 2022-23 home basketball season – one of transition for UAlbany Athletics and our men’s and women’s teams. The renovations to SEFCU Arena are moving along as planned. We’re looking forward to hosting our home games and other events on campus beginning November, 2023.

Thank you for purchasing season tickets this year. Your support is essential to the continued growth and development of our programs.

We will be restructuring the GDAC program and re-seating the arena for the 2023-24 season. For the current season, while there is no donation requirement since there is no preferred seating or parking at HVCC, we hope that you consider making a gift to UAlbany Athletics, preferably to the Great Dane Athletics account which is our greatest need. Gifts to UAlbany Athletics help support the significant needs of our 500+ student-athletes. Thank you if you have already made a gift this year.

Note: Annual contributors to GDAC will receive priority when we re-seat the renovated arena.

We are looking forward to the upcoming season at HVCC and are so appreciative of the college’s partnership with us. There will be concessions available at the McDonough Sports Complex. In lieu of Turf Hotel Courtside Corner we will be hosting several pre-game gatherings at an establishment or two in the HVCC area. Be on the lookout for further details soon.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out – either by phone (cell preferred) or email.

Go Danes!
Craig

I was under the impression that people that have consistently had season tickets will still be given priority over non season tickets holders, but it is gonna be something like: big donations made this year that are season ticket holders then big donors from this year that aren't previous ticket holders, then small donors this year that are previous season ticket holders, then small donors from this year that weren't ticket holders, then previous season ticket holders that didn't donate this year, then the general public.

I'll be pissed if I can't get the same seats that I have had for the last 7 or 8 years (or extremely close) because someone else takes them before I get my shot at them. Even if I don't donate this year, I do have season tix for the HVCC games and should have priority over anyone that didn't have continuous season tickets before, regardless of how much they donated this season. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, jimbo said:

I’m not a season ticket holder, but I understand an email went out that suggested that the new system would revolve around current donations rather than historical. I might not have that right so perhaps some others could chime in on this. 

The email while vague was intended to produce much need donations, but seemed more threatening than encouraging. Obviously, with the reconfiguration of SEFCU/Broadview, seat assignments have to change. Instead of reassuring past season ticket holders and donors that they will be getting as good as they had before; they insinuated donate now to get  good seats in the new arena. But did not offer any guarantee or explanations of what the new seating & Priority policy would be. Pretty poor marketing as usual. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bob87 said:

I am not worried about this. I am sure if they don't have a seat for me , someone else will try to sell me a seat. 😃 Another downside to mobile tickets is teams I visit once now call 

My sentiments exactly, enough miscues by a host of coaches, staff and administrators that I feel many are revaluating their positions concerning UAlbany sports .... so many missing faces in the crowd at football and now basketball.  When the announcement concerning SEFCU Arena renovations, many of saw that a new interior would help lead in the resurgence of attendance.  What is the old saying..."Pretty is only skin deep." ... Benson and his team have let this one slip away.

• Thanks 1

We talked to Nate Mason and Craig Turnbull at the beginning of the basketball season. It was time for our annual donation and the GDAC giving website had not been updated - it still had references to Preferred Seating donations required for buying basketball season tickets and still listed Justin Brown as the point of contact. Very confusing. We pointed this out to them and they were very embarrassed. They made a few quick tweaks to the website and sent out that email, which only went to this year’s season ticket holders. They said there were no preferred seatings donations for basketball this year because the games were being held at HVCC and seating is General Admission (except for those lucky enough to buy courtside tickets). The GDAC is still trying to work out how seating assignments will be made next year, but said seating priority will be based on their point system.  Nobody has been able to check their points online since they went to the new ticketing system over a year ago.  Nate says you can call to get that information. He also said that they expect there will be a two week period next year when you will be invited to the remodeled SEFCU arena to pick out your seats based upon your points. In their shortsightedness they did not send that email to former season ticket holders who are still donors but did not renew their tickets this year because of COVID concerns or because they did not want to sit on bleachers at HVCC. 

Clearly to us they are still very confused.

• Like 5

They give us no reason to contribute to GDAC yet our seat preference in the updated arena will depend on our contributions.  All the floor seats are empty at HVCC, sold to businesses who don't come to the games.  They should open the floor seats up a few minutes after the game starts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ron said:

They give us no reason to contribute to GDAC yet our seat preference in the updated arena will depend on our contributions.  All the floor seats are empty at HVCC, sold to businesses who don't come to the games.  They should open the floor seats up a few minutes after the game starts.

Or run some form of in game promotion for them. Wait till the under 12 minute media time out for late arrivals, then choose fans from the crowd to come on the floor to shoot free throws for a pair of upgraded seats for the second half during the under 8 or under 4 media timeouts. If there are 30 open court side seats, choose 20 people to come down and have each shoot a free throw. Give the first 10 to make a free throw a pair of seats, leaving 10 seats still open in case someone with courtside seats shows up in the second half.

Kill two birds with one stone. Fill the courtside seats for the important second half and any home court advantage that adds, and create some more fan interaction and fun at the games. Win win.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Or run some form of in game promotion for them. Wait till the under 12 minute media time out for late arrivals, then choose fans from the crowd to come on the floor to shoot free throws for a pair of upgraded seats for the second half during the under 8 or under 4 media timeouts. If there are 30 open court side seats, choose 20 people to come down and have each shoot a free throw. Give the first 10 to make a free throw a pair of seats, leaving 10 seats still open in case someone with courtside seats shows up in the second half.

Kill two birds with one stone. Fill the courtside seats for the important second half and any home court advantage that adds, and create some more fan interaction and fun at the games. Win win.

Maybe they should do those people cutouts like some places were using during the Covid crazies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1