UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer Portal- MBB Targets / Interest / Offers / Signees 2023

6 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Kellog has hit the portal...

Kellogg had a terrible year last year . If you can't see the court on a bottom 30 team , then I'm glad he is leaving.  

I'm hoping that Killings and starting to feel the heat. I hope we have as many scholarships as possible to hopefully turn this train wreck around.  

Killings needs to hit a home run in the portal this year and he needs as many pitches (scholarships) as possible to do it. 

14 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Kellogg had a terrible year last year . If you can't see the court on a bottom 30 team , then I'm glad he is leaving.  

I'm hoping that Killings and starting to feel the heat. I hope we have as many scholarships as possible to hopefully turn this train wreck around.  

Killings needs to hit a home run in the portal this year and he needs as many pitches (scholarships) as possible to do it. 

I look at this differently,  He played decently at UW Green Bay.  Then he cones here and saw zero in the game, early on in the season.  How on earth could either Coach or Player not be even remotely close to "system fit" in the world of transfer.  Honestly, DK gave him no time early on, so I expected Kellogg to turn out exactly the way he did.  

We don't know what goes on in practice, e.g. no defense, no basketball IQ, no hustle, etc.  However, if that is the reason that Kellogg didn't play, well that is on DK for not doing his due diligence for a kid who played D1 ball.  I get it out of a JUCO or a H.S. kid...but a D1 transfer, nah.

I am going to make the statement right now:  aside from Beagle (no brainer) and Neely, who are the big hits in the two years of recruiting?  Let's see what comes out of the class (and i think there are two good ones in this class) but I think a) He hasn't proven his recruiting chops; and b) I think it is a mistake to build out of h.s. kids.  Just not going to happen in the current landscape.  

I will say, I do think Marcus Jackson has some raw potential...but for a guy like Reddish, he's not a steal, he's exactly where he belongs right now. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

And beagle is staying. Had a feeling this could end up happening. Literally everyone is in the portal regardless at the end of the season

Great. News.  Big win for us.  Should really really help recruiting now.  

• Like 1

Sorry, I put this in the wrong post. I put it under 2023 recruits because we are re-recruiting him.  This is massive news and you have to give credit to both beagle and the coaching staff as they both found some thing for one another convincing each other they should stay together for at least another season.

• Like 1

I can't fault the kid for looking at whats out there, but I am excited to have him back for at least another season. From what I have seen online, he was getting interest from some big schools, but he didn't have close to the buzz about him that both Nichols and Cremo had. I said it a few times here already - him returning for one more year (or hopefully two) will probably end up being the best move for him. ROY in the AE is great and all, but if his dream is to be highly recruited by an ACC type team, and listed in the articles about the "top transfer talents" then having a year on the conference first team and maybe a CPOY will open up a huge new world of opportunities for him. 

Maybe he can talk to Nigle Cook and get him to come and join him :)

Awesome news.

Like I said earlier about a kid like Kellogg, who clearly wasn't moving up, two time transfers need to sit out.  If Beagle crushes it again, especially in OOC, he will be heavily recruited, maybe even with a small NIL, to Power 5 schools.  If he transfers now and doesn't get significant minutes, it can impact what he does after.  Really smart move, he played the field, didn't like what he saw or wanted more, and is reinvesting in himself.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I can't fault the kid for looking at whats out there, but I am excited to have him back for at least another season. From what I have seen online, he was getting interest from some big schools, but he didn't have close to the buzz about him that both Nichols and Cremo had. I said it a few times here already - him returning for one more year (or hopefully two) will probably end up being the best move for him. ROY in the AE is great and all, but if his dream is to be highly recruited by an ACC type team, and listed in the articles about the "top transfer talents" then having a year on the conference first team and maybe a CPOY will open up a huge new world of opportunities for him. 

Maybe he can talk to Nigle Cook and get him to come and join him :)

Awesome news.

Perhaps that tour of renovations at the SEFCU Arena were enough to give Beagle pause or did not just get the type of interest he expected.  I know we are all excited to have him back, Beagle cannot do all on his own.

UALBANY MEN’S BASKETBALL

Beagle opts for return to Danes

After entering transfer portal, league’s Rookie of the Year staying put

By Abigail Rubel

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F04%2F14&id=Pc0100600&ext=.jpg&ts=20230414080622
Jenn March / Special to the Times Union

UAlbany’s Jonathan Beagle averaged 12.4 points and 7.5 rebounds per game in his first year with the Danes, winning Rookie of the Year in the America East.

ALBANY — Jonathan Beagle, who excelled in his freshman season at the University at Albany but entered the transfer portal a month ago, will return to the men’s basketball team for the 2023-24 season, UAlbany announced in a statement Thursday.

Beagle, a Hudson Falls native, averaged 12.4 points and 7.5 rebounds per game and was named the America East Rookie of the Year. He was one of the highlights of a difficult season for the Great Danes, who finished 3-13 in the America East and missed the postseason.

“After much consideration, I have decided to stay at UAlbany for my sophomore season. My family, friends, and hometown mean so much to me, and I’m excited for what our program can accomplish next year. We have some unfinished business, and I can’t wait to get back to work,” Beagle said in the statement.

UAlbany said there would be no further comment from the team.

Beagle is one of four Great Danes who tested the portal waters after the end of the season. Gerald Drumgoole Jr., the team’s leading scorer, transferred to Delaware. Redshirt sophomore forward Japannah Kellogg, who transferred to UAlbany from the University at Wisconsin Green Bay, is now at Division II Concordia St. Paul. Junior guard Malik Edmead transferred back to Merrimack, where he played his first two seasons of college basketball.

The Great Danes picked up their first transfer earlier this week after graduate guard Tyler Bertram, formerly of the University of Alabama at Birmingham and America East rival Binghamton, committed to the team.

▶› Abigail.Rubel@- timesunion.com A @abigail_rubel

19 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Kind of a transfer but Assistant coach Bobby Jordan going to Temple.  

Killings continues to lose assistant coaches.  Very odd.  

I am not surprised by this departure; he changed schools twice during Spring 2023, before landing at UAlbany.  At times, Bobby was a bemusing watch from the stands across the UAlbany bench during in a few games early much more restraint later in the season.

That being said, I do not see the number of assistant coaches leaving the team similar to last year.  Much of those departures, in my opinion, linked to Killing's issues.