UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer Portal- MBB Targets / Interest / Offers / Signees 2023

5 hours ago, Eli said:

It's effectively collegiate free agency. I wish there were some guard rails around it though because right now it's basically a free for all.

Like, play 2 years to get 1 transfer portal chance. Play 3 to get something.

Except it's every single year...it's insane. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Except it's every single year...it's insane. 

I believe you get one transfer without having to sit out? If you transfer a second time then you have to sit out? Is that right? Drumgoole wont have too only because he graduated?

21 hours ago, UA'08 said:

I believe you get one transfer without having to sit out? If you transfer a second time then you have to sit out? Is that right? Drumgoole wont have too only because he graduated?

Pretty sure it's the Wild West out there. I believe {probably wrongly} you can play for four different teams in four years? Anyone know the exact rule? Also, still waiting does anyone know about the "blocking rule" the schools use to have? Asked about this before:  schools with a player on the portal could block him/her from playing in their own league for one year and there was also a geographic prohibition?

Anyone KNOW WHAT IF ANY Portal rules still exist; or like I said totally Wild West?

ps supposedly US congress having meeting this week on NIL. Would not be surprised if Portal comes up also. Would be surprised if the DO NOTHINGS did anything. {please do not treat this as a paid political announcement of any kind🙄.}

2 hours ago, statefan said:

You don't have to look too far to find an example:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4398208/cj-kelly

This one is explainable. He sat out a full year before coming to Albany. Then left Albany without sitting due to Covid year. Assuming he graduated when at UMass and when you graduate you can transfer again no restrictions. I’m assuming he graduated at some point 😂 

Here is the rule from the NCAA, one free transfer but a 2nd one would require a year to sit out: 

" The NCAA passed a rule that allowed an athlete a one-time, penalty-free transfer that removed the old sit-one-year requirement as long as it was their first transfer. Now, the rule requires a player to sit out one year only after a second entrance into the transfer portal.Aug 1, 2022

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

ps supposedly US congress having meeting this week on NIL. Would not be surprised if Portal comes up also. Would be surprised if the DO NOTHINGS did anything. {please do not treat this as a paid political announcement of any kind🙄.}

If the opposite of Pro is Con. What is the opposite of progress?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

Kellog has hit the portal...

If you are an UAlbany MBB player, there is no downside opting for the Transfer Portal.

I keep wondering if the incoming recruits, mentioned frequently within other threads, are still committed to coming to UAlbany.  With the players, who have used the last of their eligibility or have entered the transfer portal, who is really left on the MBB team.  

Lastly, I wonder who may have received a less then favorable performance and may up and leave the MBB team.

More questions, few answers.

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

If you are an UAlbany MBB player, there is no downside opting for the Transfer Portal.

I keep wondering if the incoming recruits, mentioned frequently within other threads, are still committed to coming to UAlbany.  With the players, who have used the last of their eligibility or have entered the transfer portal, who is really left on the MBB team.  

Lastly, I wonder who may have received a less then favorable performance and may up and leave the MBB team.

More questions, few answers.

For Kellogg, there is a big risk.  If DK fills his ride, he must go to another school and if it is D1, then he must sit out a year as a two time transfer. 

43 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

For Kellogg, there is a big risk.  If DK fills his ride, he must go to another school and if it is D1, then he must sit out a year as a two time transfer. 

Great point, however, I suspect finding someone on par with Kellog may be difficult.  I have looked at the people in the transfer portal, many quality people, however, are any of them giving UAlbany any consideration.

So it looks like this is where we stand as of today for next season:

Returning Players:

• PG - 2 Scholarships Used (potentially 3 if Jackson gets one)
    • Amica - 3 Injury Plagues Seasons. Can he still play?
    • Little - Showed Electric Skills on play, then looked lost on the next. Injured almost all of 22/23
    • Jackson - Was a walk-on. I thought he did great last year as a freshman being thrown into as many minutes as he had to play. I'm excited to see him year 2 if he stays. His big bro just won a Chip at UConn
  • SG - 0 Scholarships Used
    • NONE
  • Wing / SF - 2 Scholarships Used
    • Justin Neely - Injured this Season, AEROY in 21/22
    • Aaron Reddish - So much raw talent, better stats than he got credit for, extremely inconsistent
  • PF - ??? Scholarships used. Probably 1, but could be 2 - maybe 0
    • Trey Hutcheson - Graduated, probably leaving or entering the portal, could return. I haven't seen any news on him yet
    • Tairi Ketner - Lost all his playing time. Looks good at times and is a big body, but definitely is a role player at best. Will be playing UA Football this year, who knows if he returns to the court.
  • Center - 0 Scholarships Used
    • None

So by my count, the team is currently using as few as 4 scholarships, potentially as many as 7 with the status of Ketner, Hutcheson, and Jackson unknown. With a total of 13 possible, that means the team needs somewhere between 6 and 9 players to be added to the team for next season.

Signed Recruits - 3 Scholarships

• Zane Adnan - PG
  • Jack Margoupis - SF
  • Cornelius Robinson - SF

Assuming those 3 do still end up attending and joining the team, that leaves between 3 and 6 more spots to fill.

Players in the Portal, but could return (not committed elsewhere yet)

• Jonathon Beagle - He is my #1 recruit for the program to focus on. Convince him 1 more year of seasoning in the AE will get him a bigger and better offer next off-season. He should stay and open the renovated arena as a star!
  • Malik Edmead - He is fun to watch and has amazing speed and footwork, but he just didn't fit in the style that DK employed. He was terrible shooting - both from the floor and the line. I think he will improve, but I think him going to a lower league would help him. No need to recruit him to stay
  • Japannah Kellogg - Didn't get as much play as he should have considering how bad the team was, so that has to say a lot about what the staff thought of his ability. It always hurts losing a big body, and he did have a few real great games at the end of the season, but at the end of the day - the team should be able to easily replace him in the portal, so no rush to recruit him back

Wow. Didn't put 2 and 2 together on how bleak the roster situation is for the team at the moment. That isn't really a bad thing, as the team didn't make the AE playoffs this year, so blowing the team up and starting mostly scratch was probably needed anyway. 

Team needs at least 2 "Bigs" and a ball handler from the portal with the first 3 spots. Then realize there could be 1-3 more still to fill after that depending on the status of Jackson, Hutch, and Ketner. 

Damn. Lots of work for this staff to do. Looks like another year of no playoffs at the moment. 

Edited by godanesgo99