UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer Portal- MBB Targets / Interest / Offers / Signees 2023

We needed some form of a coaching change anyway. I met Jordan once and he seemed like a good dude, but we honestly needed to add a real X's and O's guy on the bench anyway. UA only has so much budget, so they can't go around adding bodies without someone leaving. 

Best of luck to him at Temple. Let's hope this is an opportunity for the team to bring in an assistant that can help. Would love to see a hot shot young guy looking to break into the college game or a JUCO/ D3/ even High School guy that needs an in, but has an innovative playbook or offensive/defensive scheme to employ. I know the team didn't have a true point guard with the injuries, but it didn't feel like the team had a real game plan that maximized their talent. Actually if they went that route, they might even be able to hire two as I'm sure they could be had cheaper or even part time.

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

We needed some form of a coaching change anyway. I met Jordan once and he seemed like a good dude, but we honestly needed to add a real X's and O's guy on the bench anyway. UA only has so much budget, so they can't go around adding bodies without someone leaving. 

Best of luck to him at Temple. Let's hope this is an opportunity for the team to bring in an assistant that can help. Would love to see a hot shot young guy looking to break into the college game or a JUCO/ D3/ even High School guy that needs an in, but has an innovative playbook or offensive/defensive scheme to employ. I know the team didn't have a true point guard with the injuries, but it didn't feel like the team had a real game plan that maximized their talent. Actually if they went that route, they might even be able to hire two as I'm sure they could be had cheaper or even part time.

Albany has around a 330k budget for assistants.  They won't be able to hire two more.  The split is usually around 95, 84, 68, 48, 35.  

I agree with the need for the MBB program to hire an assistant coach with a demonstrated X's and O's skill set.  The only way this is going to happen is if Mark Benson and Vic Cegles take charge of the screening and hiring process.  Further, not settling for anything less than a X's and O's Assistant Coach.  Killings may not like this, but Killings needs to realize his strong suit is recruiting. 

8 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

I agree with the need for the MBB program to hire an assistant coach with a demonstrated X's and O's skill set.  The only way this is going to happen is if Mark Benson and Vic Cegles take charge of the screening and hiring process.  Further, not settling for anything less than a X's and O's Assistant Coach.  Killings may not like this, but Killings needs to realize his strong suit is recruiting. 

They do meet with the candidates, per my understanding.  At least Vic does...but ultimately no coach will cede that control completely to the Adept.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:43 AM, Dane96 said:

They do meet with the candidates, per my understanding.  At least Vic does...but ultimately no coach will cede that control completely to the Adept.

Considering the need for an assistant coach with a strong X's and O's skill set, if Killings cannot accept direction or recommendations from his bosses, Killings knows where the door is (or perhaps not.)  As I have said in the past, the days of "the deer in the headlights" looks for the past two season must end.  Further, Benson and Cegles need to demonstrate to the fans that they care and will do what it takes to improve our situation without regard to Killings feelings.  

On 4/21/2023 at 10:34 AM, cwdickens said:

Considering the need for an assistant coach with a strong X's and O's skill set, if Killings cannot accept direction or recommendations from his bosses, Killings knows where the door is (or perhaps not.)  As I have said in the past, the days of "the deer in the headlights" looks for the past two season must end.  Further, Benson and Cegles need to demonstrate to the fans that they care and will do what it takes to improve our situation without regard to Killings feelings.  

That's not how this works...that's not how any of this works. 

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2023 at 12:09 AM, Clickclack said:

That's not how this works...that's not how any of this works. 

Not quite sure what you are referring to, however allowing Killing to hire an assistant without X's & O's talents will not help the team. Oversight is important.

Edited by cwdickens
update & clarification

Sebastian Thomas, a 6-1 sophomore guard from the University of Rhode Island just committed.  

There is your point guard. The positive note is that he started the last 7 games and averaged 9 points. The negative, he cant shoot, at all. We will see. 

Edited by UA1882

13 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Sebastian Thomas, a 6-1 sophomore guard from the University of Rhode Island just committed.  

There is your point guard. The positive note is that he started the last 7 games and averaged 9 points. The negative, he cant shoot, at all. We will see. 

Yep, on the plus side, very good assist rate. Maybe he can develop even a bit of stroke to keep defense honest. 

48 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Yep, on the plus side, very good assist rate. Maybe he can develop even a bit of stroke to keep defense honest. 

Yeah, he can't hit the broad side of a barn: 34% FG, 25% from 3, 64.8% from the line.  If we had a bunch of guys who can fill the hoop, then this guys shooting woes can be lived with.  But we don't have great shooters as yet.  Maybe he and Amica will split time at PG.  If Amica can get and stay healthy.

9 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Hopefully, Sebastian can assist in lowering the turnover rate with great passes, now can the recipient of the pass handle the ball.  We will see.

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

On the MBB Instagram account and the website signed a transfer from Hofstra:

https://ualbanysports.com/news/2023/4/25/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-signs-amar-e-marshall.aspx

No mention of Sebastian.....

We spoke about Amare a week or so ago. I think this announcement is because of the official signing. Sebastian is just verbal at the moment.

• Like 1