UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2023-24 MBB Preseason Expectations and Predictions

So it looks like the roster is now finalized and the students are back on campus. While practice doesn't begin for a few weeks, the schedule is out and the season is getting close. Last year was a terrible year. Last place, no AE playoffs in a season played at HVCC...

This is a new season with an extremely new roster, and the opening of the renovated SEFCU arena, now called Broadview Center.

What are everyone's expectations for the season? Any predictions for the team or the AE in general?

Roster:

Guards: (1/2)

• Will Amica (Jr. - Returning)
  • Ny'Mire Little (Jr. - Returning)
  • Marcus Jackson (So. - Returning Walk-on)
  • Tyler Bertram (Sr. - Transfer)
  • Sebastian Thomas (Jr. - Transfer)
  • Amar'e Marshall (So. - Transfer)
  • Zane Adnan (Fr.)
  • Zack Matulu (Fr. - Walk-on)

Wing: (2/3/4)

• Aaron Reddish (Jr. - Returning)
  • Justin Neely (Jr. - Returning, may have gotten a medical redshirt last season)
  • Muneer Newton (Jr. - Transfer)
  • Jack Margoupis (Fr)

Bigs (4/5)

• Jonathan Beagle (So. - Returning)
  • Marcus Filien (Sr. - Transfer)
  • Patrico Bautista Giralt (Fr.)

Edited by godanesgo99

I kinda like the roster at the moment. There is size with Beagle and the incoming Giralt. I think Reddish will have a break out season if he can keep his emotions in check, and I think there are enough guards to figure out what works. This does not look like a last place team, and really is constructed in a way that could surprise a lot of people and actually contend. I'm gonna guess middle of the pack, which would be a huge step up from last seasons disaster.

My questions: Will we ever see anything out of Amica or Little? Both have talent but haven't been able to put it together for one reason or another (injuries) and what will Neely be when he is ready to play again. Then the elephant in the room: Will DK become a decent in game coach instead of what appears to be a strong recruiter. His teams have under achieved relative to the expected talent two straight seasons....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, B9j2j6s said:

If we can be around .500 I will be satisfied and feel like the program is heading in the correct direction.  

I agree that we should have more wins, one question: Has Killings in game coaching skills improved?  If Killings does not or cannot improve in this area, we are in trouble.  For this program, the direction that it is heading will be a year to year thing, in particular with the transfer portal.

13 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

My questions: Will we ever see anything out of Amica or Little? Both have talent but haven't been able to put it together for one reason or another (injuries) and what will Neely be when he is ready to play again. Then the elephant in the room: Will DK become a decent in game coach instead of what appears to be a strong recruiter. His teams have under achieved relative to the expected talent two straight seasons....

Nice assessment overall. Think Neely will be ready, feel comments by staff on when he will be full strength are just them being overly cautious {"coach speak" if you will.} Think DK will take a giant step forward this year. Might be wishful thinking, but believe distractions will be mostly behind him; and with what appears on paper (at least) as a decent personal; and HOPEFULLY HEALTHY; he should show us some "coaching" & game strategy & adjustments???

The real elephant in the room IMHO is Reddish. Took a giant step backwards last year; when he basically had no competition for playing time; and had no one to blame but himself that he could not take the starting position & run with it.

• Like 1

The message board has been dead with all the negativity around the entire Athletic Department, so I started this thread in an attempt to some people talking about positive stuff or even just talking about something other than scandal and losing games. I miss the days when the board was active, but I think message boards just dont get many fans anymore. Those of us that dont use Instagram or X (Twitter) are pretty much left out in the cold. 

Thank you all who still come here and post and chat. Make predictions and comment on the happenings. It makes us addicted fans happy to see new info!

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to a UAlbany MBB Instagram posting, from today, walk-on tryouts will be conducted on September 19, 2023 (Tuesday).

The posting asks the question: Do you want to be part of one of the premier programs in the northeast?   While I am feeling a little optimistic that the MBB will end up with a better record than last year, no way can anyone state this is one of the premier programs in the northeast. 

Does anyone know why UBuffalo decided to part ways with Whitesell. as their announcement stated: "At this time, we felt it was necessary to make a change in leadership of our men's basketball program,...".  Whitesell had three winning seasons out of four years as head coach.

Since I asked my question, I found an ESPN comment on his firing: "The lack of postseason success coupled with a drop-off in recruiting were considered disappointments for a school that had established itself as a MAC power. It made a combined four NCAA tournament appearances -- including the program's first -- from 2014 to 2019 under Bobby Hurley and Nate Oats."

UBuffalo had to pay-out the final year of their contract with Coach White.... $500,000 

My question now: Did we hire a solution to our X's and O's issues or just added another problem? 

I noticed that Hamlet Tibbs is an assistant coach at UBuffalo.

Edited by cwdickens
update

Whitesell has had way more success at a higher level program than DK has had. So unless there’s friction, you’d have to think this is a good addition for the program. It also puts someone in place who could step up if DK craters again and winds up being shown the door. So it seems like a win to me, but what do I know?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimbo said:

Whitesell has had way more success at a higher level program than DK has had. So unless there’s friction, you’d have to think this is a good addition for the program. It also puts someone in place who could step up if DK craters again and winds up being shown the door. So it seems like a win to me, but what do I know?

I'm a fan of this hire, the criticism has been that DK doesn't have anyone on the bench with significant experience...he now does...a guy who was a HC, winning record at a better conference and program. This is a good seasoned pick-up. 

• Like 1