UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football Transfer Portal (Going and Coming In)

Loos like a good get. He was #25 TE in the country coming out of HS. Maybe he just needs the right situation. Two Big 10 transfers….better than MAC transfers for sure. 

UALBANY FOOTBALL

Wisconsin QB commits to Danes

Burkett, a former three-star recruit, has chance to replace Poffenbarger

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F01%2F10&id=Pc0110600&ext=.jpg&ts=20240110071015
Courtesy of Wisconsin Athletics

Former Wisconsin quarterback Myles Burkett, who committed Monday to UAlbany, was a three-star recruit coming out of high school in Franklin, Wis.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F01%2F10&id=Pc0140400&ext=.jpg&ts=20240110071015
Wisconsin Athletics

New UAlbany quarterback Myles Burkett, who committed on Monday, played in two games for Wisconsin in the 2022 season. He didn't appear in any games for the Badgers in 2023.

On the same day its former quarterback committed to a Power Five conference school, the University at Albany football program reached into the transfer portal for a P5 passer who could be the Great Danes’ next starter.

University of Wisconsin transfer Myles Burkett tweeted Monday his commitment to UAlbany. He posted a photo of himself in a Great Dane uniform with the caption #UAUKNOW. On Instagram, Burkett posted the same photo and added, “New York State of Mind.”

He has three years of eligibility remaining.

Burkett, a native of Franklin, Wis., made the announcement about two hours before Reese Poffenbarger, who led the Great Danes to the Football Championship Subdivision semifinals, confirmed he’s headed to the University of Miami. Poffenbarger entered the portal on Dec. 20, five days after UAlbany’s season ended with a loss to eventual national champion South Dakota State.

Burkett, a 6-foot, 202-pound redshirt freshman, spent two seasons as a Wisconsin backup. He appeared in two games in 2022, completing 4-of-5 passes for 84 yards in mop-up duty against Illinois State and New Mexico State.

Burkett didn’t appear in any games in 2023 after new Wisconsin coach Luke Fickell brought in a pair of transfer quarterbacks, Tanner Mordecai and Braedyn Locke. The Badgers went 7-6 and lost to LSU in the ReliaQuest Bowl on New Year’s Day. Burkett was already gone by then, having entered the portal in November.

Then Burkett tweeted he “achieved my dream of being a Badger” and thanked the Wisconsin coaching staff.

“With that being said, it is time for me to take on a new challenge,” Burkett posted.

That challenge will present itself at UAlbany, where Poffenbarger transformed from a transfer who sat his freshman year at Old Dominion to a player who led FCS in touchdown passes and passing yards this past season.

Poffenbarger thrived under offensive coordinator Jared Ambrose, who will now tutor Burkett, a former three-star recruit coming out of high school.

Burkett was the Wisconsin Associated Press and Gatorade Player of the Year as a senior. He was a two-time first-team all-state selection and won the Dave Krieg Award as the top quarterback in Wisconsin as a senior. He led Franklin to a 14-0 record and a state title as a senior, completing 71.3 percent of his passes for 36 touchdowns and four interceptions.

In his high school career, Burkett passed for 6,483 yards and 71 touchdowns and rushed for 1,054 yards and 14 scores.

UAlbany filled other needs in the transfer portal on Monday with the commitment of East Stroudsburg defensive tackle Dasean Dixon and Kent State defensive end Marcus Winfield. Dixon had six sacks and 59 tackles for Division II East Stroudsburg last season. Winfield was third-team all-conference at Delaware State before transferring to Kent State.

UAlbany lost its entire defensive line to graduation or transfer. Defensive end Anton Juncaj chose Arkansas and defensive tackle Elijah Hills committed Tuesday to Wisconsin.

A UAlbany spokesman said head coach Greg Gattuso is not commenting on recruits at this time and will issue statements in the future.

Efforts were unsuccessful to reach Poffenbarger about his Miami commitment.

“Albany will forever have a place in my heart and we did a lot of special things,” Poffenbarger told ESPN. “At the end of the day, I thought it was time to move on and put myself in the best position to compete for a national championship and one day play in the NFL.”

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

This is a surprise to me.......

Very much so...especially coming off injury.  It is interesting.  On a side note, I heard a rumor that we may get a colgate frosh commit WR to flip.  Anyone hear anything?

17 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Very much so...especially coming off injury.  It is interesting.  On a side note, I heard a rumor that we may get a colgate frosh commit WR to flip.  Anyone hear anything?

not a thing. Yet anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was all for players making money, because I thought in a violent game it was sad that someone blows their knee out junior or senior year and misses out on a couple of NFL paychecks...but now? I'm completely against the NIL. It's ruined college sports. I'm back to the 'if they stay in school, they get an education worth hundreds of thousands of dollars' boat.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eli said:

I was all for players making money, because I thought in a violent game it was sad that someone blows their knee out junior or senior year and misses out on a couple of NFL paychecks...but now? I'm completely against the NIL. It's ruined college sports. I'm back to the 'if they stay in school, they get an education worth hundreds of thousands of dollars' boat.

AGREE 100%. IMHO it is about time the NCAA grew a set of ba!!s and put a stop to this nonsense with both nil, portal & free agency. If they don’t then the counsel of University Presidents need to step up & tell the ncaa to go start their own league. Everyone uses the argument there is too much money involved; BUT show me one college that claims they make money on ATHLETICS. You “might” find a few power 5 teams that might break even on Athletics over ALL teams male & female, but I doubt it. 
IMHO tv revenue, etc should go 100% to the general fund of the University dispersed equitably to all students and University Programs. Any “athletes” that don’t like it tell the GO PRO 

• Like 1

I actually found a reference to it in one of Mushnick’s recent NY Post columns otherwise I’d not have known either. It’s always been a problem with the private schools poaching the best players from the publics, but with $ involved….whew. A mess IMHO.