UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game 1: MBB @ Iona 11/09: 8:00pm

20 minutes ago, Eli said:

Admittedly I had stepped away from the TV for a second to the kitchen but it doesn't matter. Statistically the 3 is the lowest percentage shot and he was 4-13 on the night (1-3 from 3). So he was 3-10 from inside the arc which is G A R B A G E.

Dude needs to stop shooting. Period.

That being said, he had a great game when it came to defense and rebounding. THAT is his role on this team. He does that and Clark/Healy do the scoring and we will  be GOLDEN.

Brooks was awful.  I thought Campbell was the true glue out there while Healy and Clark took the glory.  

3 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

For as much as Devonte gets slammed here. He had a double-double and was the only starter without a turnover. 

Everyone is giving Reece Brooks a pass. 0-6 and 0-4 from three. Tough debut. He has a nice drive and pass on the Lulka layup though.

For the most part, if we can keep outrebounding people and turn the ball over less than 50 times a game, we'll be alright.

Problem with devonte is the poor kid can't shoot a lick. Needs to slash and put back rebounds. 

Defense and rebounding was solid. Very concerned that we have no one who can create off the dribble and FINISH. Expect scoring droughts this year. The defense and rebounding will keep us in games, and we will grind out wins. 8-8 or 9-7 (best case scenario, 10-6) in league play, but no better.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

11 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Problem with devonte is the poor kid can't shoot a lick. Needs to slash and put back rebounds. 

For the most part that's what he does. I actually liked him playing the PF spot tonight when it happen. The guy just battles every game.

There's a lot of sorting out for the rest of the spots - Miller, De Sousa, Brooks, French.

I was at the game.  Pretty much agree with everything already said.  Clark was the best player on the floor.  His 3 release is strange, but he was knocking them down so... Healy really impressed me.  Have high hopes for him. 

First game so don't want to be too harsh, but Brooks was awful.  Miller sucked pretty much too.  Bigs not much to say. 

Enjoyed the game for the most part.  Look forward to seeing this team grow under Coach Brown. 

Fun time at the game tonight. Some things to put in perspective. These are not excuses but reality. Iona is an experienced team that starts for juniors and a senior. They are fast and athletic. Albany consists of one returning starter, a player who didn't play much last year and then a bunch of jucos and freshman playing their first game in D1. If you look at it that way I was surprised how in the game we were right up until the end. I think many of our players are not used to the speed at which the game is played in D1. I think that's why we saw so many lazy passes that were stolen. These kids need to get used to the speed of play at this level. There were way too many times where a player went to pass from the top of the key to the wing and the fast Iona players were able to cut it off and take it the other way. I thought Iona's zone killed our offense of flow but we seen that a lot in the past from Albany offenses against the zone. But I thought the effort was there and the team played very hard and tough but the turnovers really killed us.

As for the players, I think Clark looked really good and it sucked that he got in foul trouble because he is what makes this offense tick. I think Campbell did a good job rebounding and playing defense but I just can't take watching him shoot the ball. He did shoot very well from the foul line though. Healy looks like he's going to be a player and didn't look lost out there like some of the other freshman did. Lulka definitely had a rough game but I will give him a pass since it was his first game and the Iona post players were very tough and physical and denying him the ball a lot especially in the first half. Hanks also had a tough game and looked to be rushing a lot if that makes sense. As if he was trying to play a lot faster than he is able to in order to try and keep up with Iona's speed. Brooks also had a really hard time in this game but we've seen it before with players like DJ Evans and and many other Juco transfers in their first games at this level. I'm really hoping he can adjust. De Sousa got into the game briefly but hardly got the ball but he does look long, lean an athletic. I hope he gets more playing time so we can see some of what made him such a good player at South Kent.

• Like 1

I’m fairly happy with what I saw...for a first game. Obviously the turnovers hurt. No inside game or moves to basket yet. Rebounding good. FT good. Desousa needs to eat some more and hit the gym. Their bigs more athletic than our bigs. For such an inexperienced group, they did ok. 

Meanwhile, Stony Brook knocked off South Carolina. 

• Like 1

I hope Brown uses a lot of players. I don't care that the bench may not be nearly as effective as the starters. The bench players need to learn on the court. Not playing them creates resentment about lack of playing time and wears down the starters too much so that they aren't as effective at the end of the season when we need to do well in conference play. Let the newer players get some practice during the OOC part of the season. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

As many have mentioned,  loss the game because of turnovers. In fact, I'd go so far as say we would have won easily. iona played small for the most part; and Campbell's shooting history; and our inexperienced bigs; allowed iona to double and triple team especially our bigs. This contributed to the tough day our bigs had and even though they fought hard and rebounded well, offensively they were ineffective and as many said looked lost. Our guards were also victimized by the TO, but i feel we could have weathered that storm if the bigs had NOT given up the ball as much as they did. 

Not trying to pass blame, because with more game experience and work , I am sure Coach Brown and staff will correct these issues. Also, a lot of positives from the first game and Rizzuto back shortly and Feury possibly late December.

45 minutes ago, dslyank said:

The play by play guy was good and knowledgeable and fair; BUT the color commentary guy was not only "HOMER" personified, but annoying as He!! and as you say definitely a weasel.

Homer for sure.  With Gaels down 25-10, a player laid one off glass and in and the guy made it sound like they won the national title.