UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hot Seat!

After back to back 15-16 seasons and no America East titles mens Head Coach Will Brown should be on the hot seat. If this season brings anything less than a win over Siena and another AE title. The program has been stale after back to back NCAA appearances and Brown hasn't brought in enough talent to build off the 23-10 season in 06-07. Brown needs to prove he is still the right man for the job in Albany. Fran has catipulted Siena to national prowless and the Great Danes are floundering right now. If Brown doesn't deliever this year I say it's time to go and get a new coach for the program.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm completely behind Coach Brown and consider myself a strong supporter of his....but I'd really like to see this program mover forward this season...the last two have been mediocre. Coach and his staff build this program to a point where .500 season isn't enough and 20+ wins and a possible run at an NCAA appearances are expected. Fair or not, it is what it is........let's not forget we were in good shape last season until the injuries hit hard.

Hopefully the goal is to be somewhere in the top 4 this season (final standings) and a win total closer to 20 rather then 10. IMO, looking at the schedule and what I know of this roster, we'll have a decent chance to be in contention.

The expectations for the program were very high after the back to back NCAA run. The teams struggles last season were unexceptalbe with all the hype from Raffa and Harris also having Tim Ambrose being a prolific scorer. The Great Danes should be dominating the AE always in the top 4 with Vermont, BU, and whoever else finds their way to the top. UA has a great athletics program and Brown needs to rise the program up along with Football and Volleyball. UA has a realistic shot to get into a bigger/better conference and the Basketball program needs to start dominating year in and year out. UA needs to start winning more to up attendance and bring in better recruits. Fran has also shalacked Will Brown in the Albany Cup, coach Brown needs a win for uptown to shut all the Siena fans up and apease the fan base.

The expectations for the program were very high after the back to back NCAA run. The teams struggles last season were unexceptalbe with all the hype from Raffa and Harris also having Tim Ambrose being a prolific scorer. The Great Danes should be dominating the AE always in the top 4 with Vermont, BU, and whoever else finds their way to the top. UA has a great athletics program and Brown needs to rise the program up along with Football and Volleyball. UA has a realistic shot to get into a bigger/better conference and the Basketball program needs to start dominating year in and year out. UA needs to start winning more to up attendance and bring in better recruits. Fran has also shalacked Will Brown in the Albany Cup, coach Brown needs a win for uptown to shut all the Siena fans up and apease the fan base.

The Danes got off to a good start last year with a better-than-average OOC schedule (8-5), including a win against Penn.

The Danes also got off to a good start in conference play last year with wins over the eventual leaders, Binghamton, Boston University, and Vermont to start the new season 3-1.

What caused the difference later on? How about major injuries.

Yes, I was somewhat disappointed, too, but there were reasons for the slump that had little to do with the coach.

(I wouldn't call losses of 1-8 points to Siena over the last few years as being "shalacked." If I were Fran and the Siena fans, I would be wondering why Will Brown comes close to beating them year in and year out.

Hey guys we got to take a view of CB performance with a wider scope.

2005-2006 AE Championship NCAA

2006-2007 AET Championship NCAA

2007-2008 AE Tied for second place

2008-2009 AE Semi Finals

Show me another coach in our league that has had more success? CB has been loyal to this program and is attempting to rebuild the right way. He isn't going out and picking up head cases from higher majors. Yes have I not liked how some of the recruits have turned out sure, but hey thats life in D-1 basketball.

As for the Siena game, yea I would like to beat them but really its just another OOC game. I think fans put to much stock into that game. I think most of us should be more concerned about how CB and the team will prepare to face the BU's (Bing and Boston) as well as SBU (Speaking of coaches that are on the hot seat).

I really don't see how you can say CB is on the hot seat. As many people here have already noted, we were killed by injuries last year. Coach has built this program into one of the best in the AE, and he has done it the right way. Regardless of how this season turns out, there is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be welcomed back for the foreseeable future

I'll join in on the overwhelming support for Coach Brown here..a win over Siena, while enjoyable during the week surrounding the game, has little to no bearing on whether or not I feel a season is successful..if a loss to Siena in December could guarentee a trip to the NCAAs in March, I'd take that trade-off 101 times out of 100.

The facts:

- Coach Brown has taken his team to the NCAAs in 29% of the full seasons he's been at the helm

- we've had only one sub-4th place finish in the past five seasons

- his teams have averaged 17.4 wins over the past five seasons and 18.5 wins over the past four, including two 20+ win seasons

- average attendance has increased 142% since his first full season, including 7 sell-outs

- was named New York State Coach of the Year in 2006

- his teams have finished 1st, 1st and 2nd in the men's basketball GPA rankings over the past 3 years

As an Albany fan, I'd put that record up against any other coach in the conference..if those results could be guarentees when looking for a coach, again, I'd take that 101 times out of 100.

After back to back 15-16 seasons and no America East titles mens Head Coach Will Brown should be on the hot seat. If this season brings anything less than a win over Siena and another AE title. The program has been stale after back to back NCAA appearances and Brown hasn't brought in enough talent to build off the 23-10 season in 06-07. Brown needs to prove he is still the right man for the job in Albany. Fran has catipulted Siena to national prowless and the Great Danes are floundering right now. If Brown doesn't deliever this year I say it's time to go and get a new coach for the program.

Is that you Fran? Welcome to BPF! :)

bosi, why did you have to go and tell Jeff where we are?

UA_MA- - "Danedoggystyle a/k/a "jeff" just slithered over here from Singelais' blog

LOL...I wasn't sure if it was Jeff or not....but I can certainly see the resemblance. We welcome all kinds of people here (or so I thought) even the half-wits!

Jeff, Welcome! :blush:

seriously? are we seriously having this conversation. We are putting Brown's success on beating Siena? A program which is Top 50 in the country and he has no control over? SERIOUSLY!!!!! Losing sucks, but I think some people need to realize the pit of despair that this man has led this program out of...many of us sat and watched this team in some real tough times, when no one came to games (ooo how I hate bandwagon fans!) Two NCAA Tournaments/Conference Titles with two .500 seasons, and we are set to throw him under the bus? Like I said...go watch those wonderful 4 win seasons and you tell me how fun that was?

LOL...I wasn't sure if it was Jeff or not....but I can certainly see the resemblance. We welcome all kinds of people here (or so I thought) even the half-wits!

Jeff, Welcome! :blush:

Bosiydid

We all expect the half-wits, as well as the no-wits to gravitate towards Siena. It is a natural fit.

But you guys have beat me to the punch regarding crazy expectations.

I will add a few things.

UA have just completed 10 years at d1 and have gone to back to back basketball tournaments under Will Brown. It took the mighty Siena over 30 years to accomplish that. Give it enough time and they will be hardly anything that school accomplished (if anything) that UA hasn't bettered.

Also remember Siena has their best team in their history right now and lost 0 home games last season. It would be sweet to knock that team off, but if it doesn't happen you don't fire the coach given his other accomplishments.

Regarding Siena's success: Nobody can deny that school's success, especially in the last two seasons, but I wouldn't trade their general athletic department for theirs ever! They are a one-trick pony; whereas, UA has been successful at the higher level of competition in virtually every sport we offer. How envious other schools must be of the huge leap UA has taken in such a short span of time. I'm not insinuating any school in mind by the next comment that virtually every athlete who has gone through the program in the same span has done well or excelled in the classroom and been a model citizen.

Archived