UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium: Architecture, Engineering, and Design AWARDED!

An interesting comment I saw from a Stony Brook fan on the UnrankedAE website re: their move to the Big South..

"We’re hurting right now – we’re in a conference composed of school that either no one’s heard of or everyone hates. Our draw has suffered because of it."

I..personally..am glad we didn't accept the invitation to shift to the Big South. The NEC certainly isn't full of big names..but at least there's some potential regional recognition. Fans are able to travel to road games..and I think it's safe to assume travel costs from Albany to CT/NJ/PA is just a bit cheaper..when Athletics is struggling for $ already..than Albany to VA/NC/SC. The NEC certainly isn't appealing/exciting..but moving to a conference that's also not appealing/exciting just for the sake of moving isn't something that..well..excites or appeals to me.

Now the bump in scholarships is another issue..

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting comment I saw from a Stony Brook fan on the UnrankedAE website re: their move to the Big South..

"We’re hurting right now – we’re in a conference composed of school that either no one’s heard of or everyone hates. Our draw has suffered because of it."

I..personally..am glad we didn't accept the invitation to shift to the Big South. The NEC certainly isn't full of big names..but at least there's some potential regional recognition. Fans are able to travel to road games..and I think it's safe to assume travel costs from Albany to CT/NJ/PA is just a bit cheaper..when Athletics is struggling for $ already..than Albany to VA/NC/SC. The NEC certainly isn't appealing/exciting..but moving to a conference that's also not appealing/exciting just for the sake of moving isn't something that..well..excites or appeals to me.

Now the bump in scholarships is another issue..

What, did they want a first round bye? Pleasssseeeeee.

Other than the schollies, there wouldn't have been any other reason to consider that conference.

I wouldn't mind the NEC, if they'd just make a commitment to max the schollies, or at least bring to 57.

They should really make an America East football conference, and bring in CCSU in all sports. Maybe Bryant as well.

Maine & New Hampshire & Stony Brook & Albany football are all closer in quality than they ever were...

GO MCGUIRE GO...WHAT A FANTASTIC ARTICLE BY HIM TODAY IN THE TIMES UNION...

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-bets-chip-vs-chips-2291592.php

Great article. It needed to be said.

I usually find UAlbany articles by Googling a series of words such as 'SUNY', 'Albany', 'Great Danes' etc. This article never came up. It is just an important statement, I hope it's not hidden in plain site. Is it because it's a blog?

GO MCGUIRE GO...WHAT A FANTASTIC ARTICLE BY HIM TODAY IN THE TIMES UNION...

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-bets-chip-vs-chips-2291592.php

Awesome article. Thanks for saying what's needed to be said for a long time, Mark. Please keep it up. This type of reporting is what we need to build a program

What's this about 45% of the financing is now coming from private donors? What happened to 25%? Is this why we haven't announced the final approval? I'm just so pissed after watching that SBU game. They get $22M from the state and UAlbany is going to have to pay its own way?

-------------------

The universities hope successful football programs will engage students, generate publicity and foster pride among alumni (who might donate money). Stony Brook claims a marked increase in contributions to its athletic department since 2003, and Albany Athletic Director Lee McElroy said that 45 percent of the financing for the new stadium would come from donors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/sports/ncaafootball/stony-brook-football-has-arrived-marching-band-and-all.html

What's this about 45% of the financing is now coming from private donors? What happened to 25%? Is this why we haven't announced the final approval? I'm just so pissed after watching that SBU game. They get $22M from the state and UAlbany is going to have to pay its own way?

-------------------

The universities hope successful football programs will engage students, generate publicity and foster pride among alumni (who might donate money). Stony Brook claims a marked increase in contributions to its athletic department since 2003, and Albany Athletic Director Lee McElroy said that 45 percent of the financing for the new stadium would come from donors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/sports/ncaafootball/stony-brook-football-has-arrived-marching-band-and-all.html

Looks like they changed the article to read 25% now.

How long is McElroy going to BS around by saying a new stadium is going to open next fall?

Archived