UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAalum72 has a good assessment.

Sidelines 2000 Upper 2000 Lower

Opposite side 2000 Lower 2000 Upper

End Zones

3000 Lower 3000 Upper

3000 Lower 3000 Upper

Expansion would be in 5 - 6 units as needed.

Semi - circular end zones seat way more than sideline seats.

I sat on cement then planks for club football. I am looking forward to continuing my season tickets at the new stadium!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I think I did a full assessment in somewhere way back in May on this thread.

But the best way to think HOW and expansion can be done...LOOK AT BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston. Same exact size stands row wise. You just round out the stadium.

That's why I think they put a glass bridge so far to the PBox...and why it is attached to the front of the box...and not under. The sidelines can actually extend in the upper deck if need be past each side of the press box. You probably get another 1000 seats on each side with the curve in the upper deck. The endzones and corners will make up seating with the upper deck. The endzones can easily total 6-8 seats each.

And don't let the 24k capacity fool you. There is enough of a footprint there to go to double that size. I go to BC games...and this stadium has a similar footprint.

Edited by Dane96

For a couple of days I've been looking at what I thought was a snow fence in the middle of the dirt pile. Turns out it's not a snow fence, it's rebar.

fordfield83012003.jpg

There's another row of rebar going up behind the first

fordfield83012008.jpg

The university webcam doesn't show the full extent of the endzone berm (if that's exactly what this pile is.)

fordfield83012001.jpg

End Zones

3000 Lower 3000 Upper

3000 Lower 3000 Upper

I sat on cement then planks for club football. I am looking forward to continuing my season tickets at the new stadium!

The end zone won't hold that many. Figuring rows about 60 yards long (overlapping the sidelines) you could only get about 100 seats per row. 3000 lower, 3000 upper would need 60 rows. (To compare, the LA Coliseum has 79 rows). Even allowing for the corners, endzone capacity has gotta be under 4K. Haven't seen any plans looking like semi-circular end zones - the only reason for them is a track, which we won't have.

I think we're just going to have to wait until phase 2 or 3 to know for sure.

End Zones

3000 Lower 3000 Upper

3000 Lower 3000 Upper

The end zone won't hold that many. Figuring rows about 60 yards long (overlapping the sidelines) you could only get about 100 seats per row. 3000 lower, 3000 upper would need 60 rows. (To compare, the LA Coliseum has 79 rows). Even allowing for the corners, endzone capacity has gotta be under 4K. Haven't seen any plans looking like semi-circular end zones - the only reason for them is a track, which we won't have.

I think we're just going to have to wait until phase 2 or 3 to know for sure.

Two things:

1- You are right, we will have to wait to see what design they choose.

2- The endzone could seat that many if they are doing a wrap around (they will count the corners...and it will likely be in the upper deck). Believe me...that top deck could be huge and winged out.

You would be surprised. Hofstra's Shuart Stadium (I've played games in that place both before and after expansion...for a variety of sports) added the 20 yard line to 20 yard line expansion in the endzone. That was 8,000 seats.

Edited by Dane96