UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: vs. Binghamton

On a conference side note Vermont and Stony Brook also won tonight. Both are 5-0.

Also for those like me who don't visit the AE board where people have mentioned it has a long thread, I saw this posted Saturday on ESPN.

NCAA absolves schools of sked confusion

“Today, the NCAA’s Subcommittee for Legislative Relief formally approved a waiver that we submitted on the membership’s behalf absolving all Division I basketball programs, including Maine’s and Vermont’s men’s teams, from penalty for having more than four non-Division I opponents on their schedules,” America East Commissioner Amy Huchthausen said in a statement Thursday. “We very much appreciate the NCAA staff’s efforts to expedite a review of this case and are extremely pleased with the decision, which we believe is fair and appropriate given the circumstances.”

http://espn.go.com/b...edule-confusion

Edited by MsGDG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every team is going to foul Sam Rowley if he keeps missing free throws like he has since the injury. 1-7 the last three games.

Great night for Dallas when we needed it. He had some blocks he didn't get credit for. I agree with the comments about DJ handling the ball at the end of the game. We didn't have a good possession late and a better team would have made us pay for it.

On a conference side note Vermont and Stony Brook also won tonight. Both are 5-0.

Also for those like me who don't visit the AE board where people have mentioned it has a long thread, I saw this posted Saturday on ESPN.

“Today, the NCAA’s Subcommittee for Legislative Relief formally approved a waiver that we submitted on the membership’s behalf absolving all Division I basketball programs, including Maine’s and Vermont’s men’s teams, from penalty for having more than four non-Division I opponents on their schedules,” America East Commissioner Amy Huchthausen said in a statement Thursday. “We very much appreciate the NCAA staff’s efforts to expedite a review of this case and are extremely pleased with the decision, which we believe is fair and appropriate given the circumstances.”

Rules are rules. Just continues to show how much of a joke the NCAA is and how dumb these conferences are knowing the rules and letting these teams schedule more non D1 schools. Yes I might be taking it too far, but these institutions should know the rules.

Rules are rules. Just continues to show how much of a joke the NCAA is and how dumb these conferences are knowing the rules and letting these teams schedule more non D1 schools. Yes I might be taking it too far, but these institutions should know the rules.

Yes you are taking it too far. Agree teams should not be playing d2 schools, but the ncaa was counting exhibitions games(which already are subject to their own limit) and games against Umass Lowell(and other teams that moved up to d1) towards this (what should be a regular season) limit. That part is just stupid

I'm on the side of people are overreacting and expectations are way too high. This is a talented but not very experienced team. I will now repost what I wrote in the UML game thread. :)

I'm not overly surprised at what has happened the past few games and most of the season. I didn't expect this team of new players to be at the top of the AE. The team lost their two best scorers (Black/Iati), their two leaders (Metcalf/Iati) and have a bunch of new players whose style they have to learn and gel with. If you think about it there are only 3 players on the team who have more than 1 year of D1 experience (Puk, Devlin, Rowley). Then you have the Jucos and young guys. 3 out of the 4 seniors have one year experience at D1 level and even they didn't play much last year (Johnson, DJ and Wiegmann). There have been a ton of injuries (Odunsi, Hooley, Enemma, Puk, Levan, Rowley, Devlin) that really hurt the team.

Don't get me wrong. I am not making excuses because this is the roster that the coaches put together that has so little experience at this level BUT you can't expect them to be at the top of the AE( even though it is crap right now) with all these new players. Can it happen if they come together well, yes, but the reality is they haven't yet BUT that can change. I'm not jumping off a cliff just yet because I didn't have high expectations even though they have played some very good games this year.

I think it's OK to say that the team is playing like a steaming pile of crap due to various reasons (roster makeup, injuries etc.) and yet still acknowledge that the season isn't over. From earlier in the year this team has regressed due to injuries or what have you but I think most would agree with that statement. Like I said, if last year taught me anything is to wait and evaluate the season in it's totality. If Brown can say that we are playing like crap right now (last night's post game interview on TW3) why can't we?

There seems to be this mentality at times here that we'll piss down your back and tell you it's raining and the minute you say hey...I don't agree with the some things and I as a FAN would like to see a different strategy people are told to STFU, you don't know what you are talking about.

Like I said a MILLION TIMES...don't recruit 50% of your roster JUCO's and then when they don't know the system you claim inexperience. I'll say it again, I'd like to see the strategy to recruit JUCO's go COMPLETELY OUT THE WINDOWS. They normally take at least 1 year to get up to speed (Gary Johnson most recent example) so you normally get only one good year out of them before they leave, and that's the rare one that can actually play. When we've had success it's been with 4 year kids being the building blocks. It's no wonder our two best players this year are Hooley and Rowley, last year it was Black on and on and on! Four year kids know the system, are brought up in it, know expectations etc. How many JUCO's is SBU and UVM bringing in? Maybe, MAYBE you get one JUCO from time to time to fill a need but you can't have 4 or 5 kids regularly who take a year to get up to speed as upper-class-men.

I'm just one guy sitting in the stands so what do I know...but as a fan with one voice this is one philosophical difference I'll always have with the way our program is constructed. And I don't want to hear that we don't have the personal to play against the zone...as if that's any excuse. I know we aren't a BCS program with talent 3 deep at every positiong but we also aren't playing BCS programs...a HORRID Bingo team without key pieces literally zoned us to death last night and it looked ugly for long stretches.

Lets lay the lumber to UNH!

Edited by Clickclack

And I don't want to hear that we don't have the personal to play against the zone...as if that's any excuse.

I think it's interesting to see this written while also seeing it suggested that it would make sense for the opposition to zone us to death.

I think most..if not all..us fans understand that the team has struggled against the zone. That's what often happens when a team's offensive focus is post play and drives to the hope..with below average three-point shooting. Does that mean that the team can't anticipate seeing zone more often and maybe improve their ability to play against it a bit? No. But it also ignores the fact that defenses are playing and will play zone precisely because it highlights the team's weaknesses and helps contain its strengths. If the Danes could beat it by simply saying 'hey..the zone is hurting us..let's beat it' then I'm relatively confident in assuming that defenses wouldn't be playing it against us. Right?

We are all here because we are fans of Albany and in the end everyone wants to see the same goal at the end of the season and that's a championship.

I said it in previous post and that is a lot of people here have been following Albany way before it became D1. Just seeing the success we've had today at this level they probably would have never thought that 25-30 years ago. For the people that started following when we were already D1 have seen the success and want to see Albany at the top year in year out similar to Vermont.

This season is not over and hopefully we see a win or two over the top two teams in the league.

"I noticed they went away from the hot hand tonight again. Enemma was tearing it up and then it seemed he did not play the last half of the second half. 12pts 7reb off the bench. "

I think Dallas got winded near the end. He really is not in game shape. I heard an interview with him after his first game he was begging coach to take him out after he made 2 of 3 threes. Initially destined to redshirt, he never really got into "game shape" (much different that just being in shape). Also, I wonder if the ankle sprain is restricting his practices. He seems a high energy guy and when he gets physically stronger, he is going to be a special player. Right now, we need to take whatever we can get from him. I said early on, with questions concerning new foul rules and with injuries (god I hate being so right), it would be a mistake to redshirt him.

Also, repeating my comments made earlier in the week: if we can weather the injury bug (which we are, but barely) we will be OK. Otherwise, I guess I may have to join you guys on the cliff {NOT you DP, your cliff is much too real for me}.

I think it's OK to say that the team is playing like a steaming pile of crap due to various reasons (roster makeup, injuries etc.) and yet still acknowledge that the season isn't over. From earlier in the year this team has regressed due to injuries or what have you but I think most would agree with that statement. Like I said, if last year taught me anything is to wait and evaluate the season in it's totality. If Brown can say that we are playing like crap right now (last night's post game interview on TW3) why can't we?

There seems to be this mentality at times here that we'll piss down your back and tell you it's raining and the minute you say hey...I don't agree with the some things and I as a FAN would like to see a different strategy people are told to STFU, you don't know what you are talking about.

Like I said a MILLION TIMES...don't recruit 50% of your roster JUCO's and then when they don't know the system you claim inexperience. I'll say it again, I'd like to see the strategy to recruit JUCO's go COMPLETELY OUT THE WINDOWS. They normally take at least 1 year to get up to speed (Gary Johnson most recent example) so you normally get only one good year out of them before they leave, and that's the rare one that can actually play. When we've had success it's been with 4 year kids being the building blocks. It's no wonder our two best players this year are Hooley and Rowley, last year it was Black on and on and on! Four year kids know the system, are brought up in it, know expectations etc. How many JUCO's is SBU and UVM bringing in? Maybe, MAYBE you get one JUCO from time to time to fill a need but you can't have 4 or 5 kids regularly who take a year to get up to speed as upper-class-men.

I'm just one guy sitting in the stands so what do I know...but as a fan with one voice this is one philosophical difference I'll always have with the way our program is constructed. And I don't want to hear that we don't have the personal to play against the zone...as if that's any excuse. I know we aren't a BCS program with talent 3 deep at every positiong but we also aren't playing BCS programs...a HORRID Bingo team without key pieces literally zoned us to death last night and it looked ugly for long stretches.

I haven't told anyone to STFU. I do think people do overreact sometimes. I also agree and have always agreed that the JuCo route is not the best route to take at our level.

There's a big difference between saying the team is playing like crap--which is true--and calling for a Coach's head. Not saying you have...but others have done so.

Fact is-- this is not the same makeup of the team that started the season, physically.

And the JUCO thing is way overstated-- three of the five JUCO's have three years eligibility, which makes them basically the same they would have been if they came into the program as Frosh; Sophs who are adjusting to a level. How many Frosh have we had that played EXTENDED minutes (forgetting the early dark years when they had to play).

Now, taking a bunch of two year JUCO's. I'm not as keen on, however, we have gotten good players that route. I'd still rather go with four year guys.

Edited by Dane96

And I don't want to hear that we don't have the personal to play against the zone...as if that's any excuse.

I think it's interesting to see this written while also seeing it suggested that it would make sense for the opposition to zone us to death.

I think most..if not all..us fans understand that the team has struggled against the zone. That's what often happens when a team's offensive focus is post play and drives to the hope..with below average three-point shooting. Does that mean that the team can't anticipate seeing zone more often and maybe improve their ability to play against it a bit? No. But it also ignores the fact that defenses are playing and will play zone precisely because it highlights the team's weaknesses and helps contain its strengths. If the Danes could beat it by simply saying 'hey..the zone is hurting us..let's beat it' then I'm relatively confident in assuming that defenses wouldn't be playing it against us. Right?

Correct.

"I noticed they went away from the hot hand tonight again. Enemma was tearing it up and then it seemed he did not play the last half of the second half. 12pts 7reb off the bench. "

I think Dallas got winded near the end. He really is not in game shape. I heard an interview with him after his first game he was begging coach to take him out after he made 2 of 3 threes. Initially destined to redshirt, he never really got into "game shape" (much different that just being in shape). Also, I wonder if the ankle sprain is restricting his practices. He seems a high energy guy and when he gets physically stronger, he is going to be a special player. Right now, we need to take whatever we can get from him. I said early on, with questions concerning new foul rules and with injuries (god I hate being so right), it would be a mistake to redshirt him.

Also, repeating my comments made earlier in the week: if we can weather the injury bug (which we are, but barely) we will be OK. Otherwise, I guess I may have to join you guys on the cliff {NOT you DP, your cliff is much too real for me}.

Really love Dallas' game. I think he is a fiery guy as well. He seemed very pumped last night. What we need is a leader. Brian Lillis turned into one during his Freshman year with his reckless play. Remember seeing him for the first time against Northeastern and NUHoopFan and I turned to each other and said, "WOW". Maybe Dallas becomes that guy. We are sorely missing that right now.

I agree with both parts of your cliff commentary.

I liked Dallas and Michael Rowley last night. They both looked under control against pressure, rebounded well and didn't force the offense---great future.

Puk and Sam both get good position in the low/medium post but we don't have anyone who knows how to feed the post. They either don't try or they telegraph the pass.

Been a problem for several years----