UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 2022-2023 Season Over

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Broadview Arena when it opens next fall

Speaking of the new Arena, does anyone know when it is going to open yet? Is it for the first home game or a little later in the first part of the season?

While I loved Drumgoole's game, I'm not sure if him staying or leaving really moves the needle that much for this team. (I'd way rather he stays after testing the portal, but that doesn't matter at this point). While he had some really good games, his stats were dismal in about half the games we played. I posted multiple times that I thought he was pushing too hard and would have had better numbers had he played 5-10 minutes less per game, but at the end of the day he hurt the team by pushing as much as he helped it when shots were falling.

Can't have a guard that shoots with huge volume that finishes at 31% from 3 and an overall field goal percentage of 37% in conference play. Even if you look at the full season, the 3pt percentage jumps to 34%, but overall FG% stays at 37%. Just not efficient numbers. 

I'd love to see what he can do when he is not options 1, 3, and 4 to take the shot on every play. Yes, I'd like him to return, but let's be honest: whatever happens here doesn't swing the needle between top 4 or bottom 4 of the AE next season.

Either way, he is graduating. He will be a target of a higher level team and even if he stays mid-major, he is at a point where academics and what he wants a degree in at no cost to him should be the biggest driver of his decision.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

While I loved Drumgoole's game, I'm not sure if him staying or leaving really moves the needle that much for this team. (I'd way rather he stays after testing the portal, but that doesn't matter at this point). While he had some really good games, his stats were dismal in about half the games we played. I posted multiple times that I thought he was pushing too hard and would have had better numbers had he played 5-10 minutes less per game, but at the end of the day he hurt the team by pushing as much as he helped it when shots were falling.

Can't have a guard that shoots with huge volume that finishes at 31% from 3 and an overall field goal percentage of 37% in conference play. Even if you look at the full season, the 3pt percentage jumps to 34%, but overall FG% stays at 37%. Just not efficient numbers. 

I'd love to see what he can do when he is not options 1, 3, and 4 to take the shot on every play. Yes, I'd like him to return, but let's be honest: whatever happens here doesn't swing the needle between top 4 or bottom 4 of the AE next season.

Either way, he is graduating and has 2 years of eligibility left. He will be a target of a higher level team and even if he stays mid-major, he is at a point where academics and what he wants a degree in at no cost to him should be the biggest driver of his decision.

Biggest concern is loss of talent, this team has a serious deficit of talent. He pressed because he had to play with no shooting, no pg, no one else around him but Beagle who could play at this level. He would have been fine with Neely coming back as well as a decent PG if we managed to get one. Today this team is worse off than it was yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Biggest concern is loss of talent, this team has a serious deficit of talent. He pressed because he had to play with no shooting, no pg, no one else around him but Beagle who could play at this level. He would have been fine with Neely coming back as well as a decent PG if we managed to get one. Today this team is worse off than it was yesterday. 

Agreed, as I said, I hope he ends up staying after exploring the portal as he would have been better not being the only option 38 minutes a game. My only point is that him leaving isn't a death nail. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Either way, he is graduating. He will be a target of a higher level team and even if he stays mid-major, he is at a point where academics and what he wants a degree in at no cost to him should be the biggest driver of his decision.

Can't disagree with this more.  The kid was OVERPLAYED coming off a major surgery.  He was exhausted by year end.  You cannot sugarcoat this one, he has two years remaining.  Look at CJ Kelly as a prime example...basically similar stats, issues.

A starting five of the following is super strong:

Transfer PG

Drumgoole

Neely

XXXXX (Transfer, I'd hope or you can hope Reddish gets it together)

Beagle

This is a big loss and the only explanation for this is if he ends up in the A-Ten, AAC, MAC, etc. school...this isn't a great sign, in my opinon.  

Just now, Dane96 said:

Can't disagree with this more.  The kid was OVERPLAYED coming off a major surgery.  He was exhausted by year end.  You cannot sugarcoat this one, he has two years remaining.  Look at CJ Kelly as a prime example...basically similar stats, issues.

A starting five of the following is super strong:

Transfer PG

Drumgoole

Neely

XXXXX (Transfer, I'd hope or you can hope Reddish gets it together)

Beagle

This is a big loss and the only explanation for this is if he ends up in the A-Ten, AAC, MAC, etc. school...this isn't a great sign, in my opinon.  

EDIT: Seeing your response to what Click says, seems like we are all on the same page.  If Drumgoole is option 3-5 in a starting lineup, then your lineup is strong.  

Per my understanding of whom we contacted so far in the Portal, the targets are a big and a PG.  With Neely coming back (we hope) and Beagle (we hope), then Drumgoole was at the very best going to be option 3.  Per what I know are our PG targets, Drumgoole would have been 4.  

Heck, maybe that's why he is leaving. 

10 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

EDIT: Seeing your response to what Click says, seems like we are all on the same page.  If Drumgoole is option 3-5 in a starting lineup, then your lineup is strong.  

Per my understanding of whom we contacted so far in the Portal, the targets are a big and a PG.  With Neely coming back (we hope) and Beagle (we hope), then Drumgoole was at the very best going to be option 3.  Per what I know are our PG targets, Drumgoole would have been 4.  

Heck, maybe that's why he is leaving. 

Yeah, I'd definitely rather he stayed and think he is a major talent. I'm sure his stats were so bad because of how much he played and felt forced to carry the team. It just felt he played too selfishly at times and missed waaaaay too many shots. Again, he had to because of the lack of a supporting cast. The original post was made because I don't know if there are stats out there are not, but he has to hold the record for most missed shots in a season at UA. Can't think of anyone who shot so much with such a low percentage. 

Either way, I'd love for him to return. It's always hard losing talent and athleticism that could play at a higher level.

20 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Agreed, as I said, I hope he ends up staying after exploring the portal as he would have been better not being the only option 38 minutes a game. My only point is that him leaving isn't a death nail. 

I also would like him to stay. But without besmirching anyone, blame the too many minutes if you'd like; but not only are his shooting stats not outstanding, but his turn-overs [and I don't have the stat to prove this] made his offensive #s even LESS a factor. UA lost at least two winnable games down the stretch by turning over the ball 2 or 3 times and or NOT getting a shot off in the last minute of those games. He was the culprit in many of these situations. Of course, with little or no support, and NO true point guard to handle & distribute, and 38-9 minutes under his belt, he had to be the go to guy. So, I agree with 99, I'd like him back and believe he'd be a good piece. But, also agree it should not be that difficult to recruit someone over him as a 3-5 option?

22 hours ago, Eli said:

Speaking of the new Arena, does anyone know when it is going to open yet? Is it for the first home game or a little later in the first part of the season?

The first game at the Broadview Arena is likely to posted on the Skidmore or St Rose MBB schedule first.

• Haha 2