UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2024 Jersey Mike's America East MBB Tournament

Is it fair to compare WB first three years to Killings first three?  I count WB third year as 2004-05 when we went 13-15.  For me DK needs to have a winning record next year and improve his in game management.  I am hopeful that he can turn it around and have a winning record.

Edited by B9j2j6s

37 minutes ago, B9j2j6s said:

Is it fair to compare WB first three years to Killings first three?  I count WB third year as 2004-05 when we went 13-15.  For me DK needs to have a winning record next year and improve his in game management.  I am hopeful that he can turn it around and have a winning record.

It's not fair IMO, DK inherited an established D1 program, even if not a winning one and one that has not been good. WB had nothing here to start with not to mention the facilities DK has that WB could only dream of. 

We may never know why the Beagle relationship soured as it did. Neely's promising career is off the rails. The one big he recruit last year showed up with heart issues and never played. He hasn't proven himself competent coaching but he does appear to have an eye for talent. Problem is he can't coach it. Next year is make it or break it for him. Needs to be top 4 with winning AE record. 

• Thanks 1

Last year they went 3-11 down the stretch….this year they went 3-11 down the stretch. All stats aside, the results were the same. Dreadful. Coaches are measured by results, not stats. The only space I give him in this is the unfortunate heart issue for the big, the Beagle disappearing act, the Neely failure to recover from the knee injury and the Jackson hand injury. They did play hard for him, but that is a lot of talent missing. So, I know they won’t fire him now, but the next season should be his last at UA unless results improve dramatically. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they won't improve...sorry. It's unreal how down this program is. You know...because half if not more will transfer out and he will have to rebuild again. As we said, he can't coach no matter what. That is the MENTALITY.

38 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

they won't improve...sorry. It's unreal how down this program is. You know...because half if not more will transfer out and he will have to rebuild again. As we said, he can't coach no matter what. That is the MENTALITY.

You would think that there would’ve an upward arc in coaching ability….which we haven’t seen yet. So, as you say, he may just be a poor coach and that’s that. 

I have said this before and will say it 5 more times this off-season.  Need to keep Thomas and Marshall.  If you don't you won't win 10 games.  

Need to over recruit everyone else.  And maybe you can win a little in spite of bad coaching 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

The next coach that shows up here with some BS like "mentality" should be immediately viewed with skepticism. Frauds will usually have you focus on some shinning slogan to turn your attention away from what matters, if they can coach or not. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Clickclack said:

The next coach that shows up here with some BS like "mentality" should be immediately viewed with skepticism. Frauds will usually have you focus on some shinning slogan to turn your attention away from what matters, if they can coach or not. 

I have always associated the phase "mentality" as a Benson/Killings product, primarily due to Benson's marketing background.

On 3/10/2024 at 7:39 AM, jimbo said:

Last year they went 3-11 down the stretch….this year they went 3-11 down the stretch. All stats aside, the results were the same. Dreadful. Coaches are measured by results, not stats. The only space I give him in this is the unfortunate heart issue for the big, the Beagle disappearing act, the Neely failure to recover from the knee injury and the Jackson hand injury. They did play hard for him, but that is a lot of talent missing. So, I know they won’t fire him now, but the next season should be his last at UA unless results improve dramatically. 

They're 8-24 in the America East over the past two seasons. In an AE that is down across the board. There's nothing really to say beyond that.

They played hard this year. Team had talent. Really missed having a rim protector to make up for not being able to keep people out of the paint. Undisciplined for way too many stretches in way too many games.

Edited by ZLK

To make matters worse as we are even below mediocrity, the Brook, 2nd year in the CAA and a 7 seed, just beat Hofstra in the semis to reach the the championship game vs Charleston.  Only goods news?  We are not the worst SUNY University  Center.  Buffalo finished 4 and 27.  Thanks Bulls for keeping UA out of the crapper 😲.

• Sad 1

My interest level in this program has dropped to the point that I watched maybe 4 games this year when previously, even in down years, I wouldn't miss a game unless I had prior plans with the family. I used to put together trips with 8-10 alumni friends (lucky to still have a big group from the UA days!) up for games and to road games that were near the NYC area.  Now I bring it up and get crickets. Benson has completely ruined the good will, no pun intended, of the WB years and the championships. Alumni, not just the diehards on here, finally cared and were proud of the program and the school. My alumni friends were donating more than I thought they ever would.  All of that is gone and Benson needs to find a coach that can rebuild this program because it is not Killings.  Until that happens, I will follow but my support will be minimal.  Call me a fair weather fan if you want but I have better things to do than support a program and a coach and an AD I do not believe in anymore. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

My interest level in this program has dropped to the point that I watched maybe 4 games this year when previously, even in down years, I wouldn't miss a game unless I had prior plans with the family. I used to put together trips with 8-10 alumni friends (lucky to still have a big group from the UA days!) up for games and to road games that were near the NYC area.  Now I bring it up and get crickets. Benson has completely ruined the good will, no pun intended, of the WB years and the championships. Alumni, not just the diehards on here, finally cared and were proud of the program and the school. My alumni friends were donating more than I thought they ever would.  All of that is gone and Benson needs to find a coach that can rebuild this program because it is not Killings.  Until that happens, I will follow but my support will be minimal.  Call me a fair weather fan if you want but I have better things to do than support a program and a coach and an AD I do not believe in anymore. 

Fair weather in deed, but that’s fair.