UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer season thread

On 3/27/2024 at 1:37 PM, dslyank said:

Maybe it’s time to say F the portal. Go find the best freshman we can find. Keep them for a couple years; hope with “good” coaching (yeh right 😂); we play competitive basketball 🏀, groom them for the next level; whatever the heck that is???

Not sure where to post this; but strongly considering giving up 50+ years of season tickets and GDAC/UA Foundation donations. I'm very much against anything that smacks of college athletics becoming pro-like. Including NLI, transfer portal (even though would support it with restrictions and possible compensation to team losing a transfer), paying athletes anymore than the value of their EDUCATION, and sports betting (other than March Madness pools & sorts.)

My dilemma is, Am I just hurting the University for something that is really no fault of their own. Not really looking for advice, for I'm sure any cancel of tickets and support on my part would be naive and inconsequential.

But does anyone know of some national moment, I could contact to join in a/the fight to prevent colleges becoming Pro-Sports. And/All thoughts & opinions MUCH appreciated.

I am responding to paragraph 1 and 2.

I have expressed to you and to the UAlbany Sports Administration the fact of ending (or taking a sabbatical) from my 50 years plus relationship due what you have outlined and a number of other things which I have expressed in e-mails and conversations with Mark, Vic and others.  Based on their responses in the past and their recent lack of response, I would expect nothing to change from them.  As to NIL, as in the case of the Transfer Portal, the Jeannie is out of the bottle, no going back.

Craziness at its worst: In order for $iena to secure the prime candidate for coach, $iena needs prop up the NIL account balance.  $iena is spending money they do not have to pay off the fired coach, paying an incredible salary for the new coach and propping up the NIL account for a promised future that may or may not happen.

Are you hurting the UAlbany and UAlbany sports by withholding support.  The simple answer is no, because the UAlbany is always trolling the waters for new donors and donations.  So, unless you give $10,000 or more yearly, they will not miss you or I.

Back to the Transfer Portal, as I stated elsewhere in the forum, Gerry Mcnamara has been named $iena College's MBB HC and he has a number of slots for players as well as the important positions of associate HC and assistant coaches to fill  I will expect at least 3 UAlbany MBB players perhaps 4, currently in the transfer portal to end up at $iena as well as someone previously associated with our MBB as associate HC and another individual formerly associated with UAlbany MBB as an assistant HC.

The selling point, you do not like the way you were treated at UAlbany.  Well, let us go to Broadview Center next season and show him how basketball is supposed to be played. $iena will be looking to beat us by 20 or more points, embarrassing, Dywane, Mark and Vic.

Time will tell.

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 11:03 AM, cwdickens said:

As to NIL, as in the case of the Transfer Portal, the Jeannie is out of the bottle, no going back.

CW. NOT say you are wrong; but hoping so. There are powerful people including Lou Saban and others who are fighting the portal or at least want restrictions. NLI is a major issue for ALL mid majors and many majors also; especially where it extends to "non-revenue" generating sports. 

FEW if any Universities make money on athletics. University president's and boards of trustees and States will not/can not sit back and do nothing while a few athletes and a few programs draw out from whatever resources do come in from the few sports and even fewer programs that generate monies.

As others have said on this blog, it simply is NOT sustainable. Especially, the portal. Schools simply do not have the resources to re-build every year. And without NCAA Tournament  monies which circle down and are reduced to non-qualifying teams and reduced further to teams with long histories of not being successful, University presidents, States and donors simply cannot support college athletics, let alone keep their doors open to educate students.

Believe me their is a FIGHT on, the Jeannie may be out of the bag; but at some point it will/must be stuffed back in IMHO.

Edited by dslyank

2 hours ago, Eli said:

Who is the Jeannie ya'll speak of? And why was she in a bottle? 

1 hour ago, alum73 said:

Genie, Jinni or jinee.

I guess you do not know who Barbara Eden was or watched a certain show on NBC from 1965 to 1970. 

41 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Why are we trying to get her back in ..did we ask if she liked it in the bottle?

I guess you are not familiar with the saying, which predates my life on this world, perhaps you should do a Wikipedia search or not...LOL

4 hours ago, alum73 said:

Genie, Jinni or jinee.

I thought it was only genie for that saying. Learned something new today hah. 

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I guess you do not know who Barbara Eden was or watched a certain show on NBC from 1965 to 1970. 

That is nearly 2 decades before my time hah! 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, B9j2j6s said:

Speaking for the Millenials here you could reference a pop singer with a song about being a geine in a bottle.  

I was going to mention Christina but wasn't sure who'd get the reference hah.