UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018-19

2 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

The donation was due to the pre existing  Foundation relationships, not Athletics. 

Yep.  In fact, Benson has not brought much in by the way of his great marketing and networking prowess. At least none that I’m aware of. 

• Sad 1

So the SEFCU screen also isn't tied to him? He just picked the one we got but the gift itself wasn't a result of anything big he did?

If that's the case...we won't miss anything by getting a new AD who understands fan relations & that you never sign a mediocre (or worse) coach to an extension before seeing what he does in his final year!

18 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

I know they believe we are a football school. Heard its been said. I think most fans and those who have been fans or affiliated with school for more than a few years would disagree with them (newer admin). 

Not to defend Benson; I am leaning heavy with those behind getting rid of him. But in his defense, he did come from a football school, a money accounting background ( and NOT Marketing I think) and certainly not a coach of any kind. He came here to build FOOTBALL and for those with short memories, FORD & CO., did build a dynasty, BUT from nothing with nothing and pretty much NOTHING stadium. So Benson was charged with a BIG task. The fact that he took the dynasty and tradition BACKWORDS is certainly reason to question his administration. The fact other sports seem to suffer and with title IX issues seemingly being ignored, are certainly reasons to question his administration. So without supporting/defending him, I do see WHY he tries "promoting" UA as a football school. AND for those looking for more strikes against him, he was NOT involved in the building and fund raising for "Bob Ford Field & ??????Stadium."

Edited by dslyank

32 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Not to defend Benson; I am leaning heavy with those behind getting rid of him. But in his defense, he did come from a football school, a money accounting background ( and NOT Marketing I think) and certainly not a coach of any kind. He came here to build FOOTBALL and for those with short memories, FORD & CO., did build a dynasty, BUT from nothing with nothing and pretty much NOTHING stadium. So Benson was charged with a BIG task. The fact that he took the dynasty and tradition BACKWORDS is certainly reason to question his administration. The fact other sports seem to suffer and with title IX issues seeming being ignored, are certainly reasons to question his administration. So without supporting/defending him, I do see WHY he tries "promoting" UA as a football school. AND for those looking for more strikes against him, he was NOT involved in the building and fund raising for "Bob Ford Field & ??????Stadium."

So what are his accomplishment here? He's run football into the ground when he was as you say brought in to build football. He's "built it" into a laughingstock and one of the worst teams in year 5 in the country. He compounded his mistake of hiring Gattuso initially with giving him an unearned contract extension thus locking himself into a minimum of 4+ more years of losing football. Folks, if Gattuso hasn't built anything but has gone backwards in his 5th season, we can all wish upon a star all we want, he's a proven loser!

Back to Benson, just think, he as an AD has locked himself inexplicably into a DECADE of losing football. How he can survive that is unclear to me. It's not like it's a year or two...it's legitimately 9 or so years. The Gattuso extension will cost him dearly on a personal level if he doesn't find way to back out of that contract and the 1.2million owed. There was NO reason to give that extension outside of perhaps recruiting but the recruiting has been a complete joke anyway! He could have walked in 5 more weeks and hired a new coach. I have no other option than to conclude that Benson is absolutely incompetent in his role, especially as the Title IX issues bubble under the surface. 

I know they can't get rid of GG but I think it's time to seriously look at should Benson continue in the AD role. My answer is a resounding no...Fire him and send a message to Gattuso that your time is up and the only reason you aren't looking for another job is because we owe you to much contractually. Significantly reduce his budget and hunker down/wait it out. At bare minimum you need to start clearing out this incompetent football staff put together by a "coach" who is 12 games under .500 (11-24/31% winning %) in the CAA; starting with Bernard who has a knack to turn everything to $iena that he touches. 

Edited by Clickclack

This is why I think we need a true off topic section.

Let's not let this thread get to the mess the FB ones was with the HOF back and forth. Let's move the Benson/GG/Administration talk to another forum and simply end this P&G conversation with that it was terrible for UA to cancel it. Someone needs to give a real explanation as to why that fan favorite (at least for the season ticket holders) event was cancelled. Also, is there going to be that meet & greet this year where we get our tickets? Or is that cancelled too?

Edited by Eli

For clarity the meet and greet was mentioned in the newsletter as well. It is the Sunday after the open practice.

I asked about the purple and gold scrimmage when I wrote to get info on the open practice and it didn't seem like that was cancelled. Just the plans are not determined at the moment. 

A member of the athletic department staff told me they were doing a different kind of event this year that would have fan involvement. Not sure if that is the meet and greet or the practice, but we will see. 

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

For clarity the meet and greet was mentioned in the newsletter as well. It is the Sunday after the open practice.

I asked about the purple and gold scrimmage when I wrote to get info on the open practice and it didn't seem like that was cancelled. Just the plans are not determined at the moment. 

A member of the athletic department staff told me they were doing a different kind of event this year that would have fan involvement. Not sure if that is the meet and greet or the practice, but we will see. 

Well, hopefully they come to their senses. I'm damned sure those people read these forums or have sources who do. I guess jury is still out.

2 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Xavier Cochran transferring to Wayne State.  Was he supposed to be back this year or was he already gone last year?

He was supposed to be a junior this year, but announced he was transferring at the same time that Conway did. I assume he either didn't see any playing time coming (which I do not think that anyone knew about Nichols and Cremo at that time) , he just didn't like it in Albany, or maybe there are other family circumstances. I am not sure if there was anything public said about why he left. 

Wayne State is a D2 school, so I am assuming he will get lots of playing time there. Wayne State is in Detroit, and Xavier is from Ann Arbor, so this is pretty much him going home. This could be a big part of the reason. 

12 hours ago, dslyank said:

Not to defend Benson; I am leaning heavy with those behind getting rid of him. But in his defense, he did come from a football school, a money accounting background ( and NOT Marketing I think) and certainly not a coach of any kind. He came here to build FOOTBALL and for those with short memories, FORD & CO., did build a dynasty, BUT from nothing with nothing and pretty much NOTHING stadium. So Benson was charged with a BIG task. The fact that he took the dynasty and tradition BACKWORDS is certainly reason to question his administration. The fact other sports seem to suffer and with title IX issues seemingly being ignored, are certainly reasons to question his administration. So without supporting/defending him, I do see WHY he tries "promoting" UA as a football school. AND for those looking for more strikes against him, he was NOT involved in the building and fund raising for "Bob Ford Field & ??????Stadium."

The Admin can promote UA being a football school but the reality is that has meant resources ($) taken away from other programs to support a flailing one, because we're a football school now... ?

I do agree though this is a bball thread.. ? so back to bball....can't wait!

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 4

Football School? God I hope that isn't the direction they want to go. I'm a season ticket holder, and I follow the team, but if they cut the football program altogether tomorrow I wouldn't be even slightly disappointed. Basketball is the path to building a national name. We are at least a decade from becoming even a fledgling FBS program in football. If the school doesn't plan on going hard at upgrading to FBS, then I am not sure we can be a football school. No one cares about FCS.

Basketball has at the worst a 1:9 chance of making March Madness every year - probably more like 1:3 since more than half the league sucks. This is where the name will be made.  (I am thinking the odds are: UVM 1:3, UA 1:3, Other 7 Schools combined 1:3). 

We have 0% chance of making the FCS playoffs much less a bowl game in the next 5 years. Mid-Majors have a few Cinderellas every season.  

Bring on the hoops! 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

I am with you Basketball (and Lacrosse) people 110%. Remember, I was the one who started the controversy: go back northeast, reduce expenses, reallocate resources, fix title IX, fix sefcu & other venues.

Only tried to point out here:  historically, football underfunded @ UA, & Benson for good or bad brought here to try and upgrade football. I was NOT promoting or defending his failures!

Football, the move to the CAA and the stadium is what drew me back closer to the university. I’ve always followed basketball, but watch on TV for the most part. Lax is TV and in person. If I lived close to Albany I might go to BB games, but it’s much less expensive and more convenient to stay hone and watch on tv. Why do we have to be. BB or football school? We have a choice unlike a certain local D1 place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Football, the move to the CAA and the stadium is what drew me back closer to the university. I’ve always followed basketball, but watch on TV for the most part. Lax is TV and in person. If I lived close to Albany I might go to BB games, but it’s much less expensive and more convenient to stay hone and watch on tv. Why do we have to be. BB or football school? We have a choice unlike a certain local D1 place. 

I don't even know what a football or basketball school is...

giphy.gif

Edited by Clickclack