UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #19: 1/19/19 - 1:00PM @ UMBC

Eli

13 minutes ago, Eli said:

Overly irrational? I disagree. Clark is only interested in 'getting his'. That's evident by his A/T ratio (1.16) and his atrocious 40% FG percentage. For a guy who 'attacks relentlessly' his % should be much higher due to presumably higher percentage shots. He's too stubborn to dish it out to the open guy when defenses collapse and instead turns the ball over a TON in the paint as he gets blocked, etc. His A/T ratio should be 2:1 based on the fact that he should be dishing the ball out to the open guy or cutting guy when defenses collapse on him.

I'm done with him...hope Brown walks him at the end of the year. Just another me, me, me player. Can we get more Hooleys and less Nichols' up in here?

For the record I'm not here... Walking him. He just needs to play team ball. Right now he's not a winning player. Needs to fold himself into the team concept. 

Clark had a lot on his plate being the main ball handler and asking him to be a primary scorer. He's more effective attacking when Miller or someone else facilitates and he doesn't have the whole defense facing him.  He tries to do too much sometimes but he plays his tail off. He was in foul trouble today and played with limited minutes but still was our leading rebounder.

Have to wonder if Rizzuto has hit the freshman wall. He played pretty well his first 7 games or so but has struggled since then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eli said:

Overly irrational? I disagree. Clark is only interested in 'getting his'. That's evident by his A/T ratio (1.16) and his atrocious 40% FG percentage. For a guy who 'attacks relentlessly' his % should be much higher due to presumably higher percentage shots. He's too stubborn to dish it out to the open guy when defenses collapse and instead turns the ball over a TON in the paint as he gets blocked, etc. His A/T ratio should be 2:1 based on the fact that he should be dishing the ball out to the open guy or cutting guy when defenses collapse on him.

I'm done with him...hope Brown walks him at the end of the year. Just another me, me, me player. Can we get more Hooleys and less Nichols' up in here?

IMHO, late in the game,, I think they played much better “team” ball when Miller was at the point. There was one play in particular in today’s game—at about the 8:40 mark in the second half—where Rizzuto (I believe it was him) was wide open off to Clark’s side and calling for the ball as the shot clock was ticking down. Instead of passing, Clark kept dribbling and heaved up a last second desperation shot that didn’t even hit the rim.

37 minutes ago, PurpleHoops said:

IMHO, late in the game,, I think they played much better “team” ball when Miller was at the point. There was one play in particular in today’s game—at about the 8:40 mark in the second half—where Rizzuto (I believe it was him) was wide open off to Clark’s side and calling for the ball as the shot clock was ticking down. Instead of passing, Clark kept dribbling and heaved up a last second desperation shot that didn’t even hit the rim.

He's probably be really good off the ball... Miller played well today. Give him a bit more burn there and see where it goes. 

30 minutes ago, statefan said:

Well, then, this would be a good time to tell you that Gattuso was on the halftime show of the women's game and said how much he appreciated the fan support :lol:

tenor.gif

Oh...that....that...
tenor.gif?itemid=3482842

• Haha 1

Argg.  That was painful to watch on the replay this morning.  CB has to work on end of regulation,  end of OT plays cause there was enough time on both to run a set play and they got off crap shots.  Did like Millers play and Laudedale too but wish he was more automatic on mid range shots like Travis was.  Rizzuto was lost again and should sit for a bit.  Put Miller in for now or this team doesn't even play a quarterfinal game at this rate.  Clark getting his pocket picked with 23 to go was a killer.  Your job is to protect the ball.  Failed.  On to SBU.  

14 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Clark has made countless passes into the paint that went right through the hands of the big. I agree he should drive and dish more, but he is the only guy attacking on the team. I wonder what might change if they moved him to the 2 and started Miller Clark Healey Lulka Hank...

AGREE!!  Besides the stone handed bigs; all our team seems to have lost the art of the dribble. I have never seen so many unforced TO's and TO's on minimally contested drive attempts. For the amount of time Clark must handle the ball, I would guess his TOs per minutes with the ball (if there is such a stat) is not much worse than the rest of the team. [Probably wrong?]

Also, announcers yesterday said Clark leads the league in assists and their man Jackson second????????? Stat people, is this true? 

While I seem to be defending Clark; it was his TO that led to a fast break lay-up at the end of regulation that cost us the game, even more so than the wide open 3 (the only points of the game by Counsins) that set the knife.

Edited by dslyank

In the TU story, Coach tells what happened on UMBC's last shot

A miscommunication between UAlbany freshmen Antonio Rizzuto and Cameron Healy resulted in Council, who played only seven minutes in the game, finding himself open.

"Our mindset on that last possession was the only thing that beats us is a three," Brown said, "so we're going to man up, switch every screen exchange and hand-off. It's just man-on-man and keep the ball in front of you. If we do get beat, we're going to get beat off the dribble for a two.

"The baseline action that they ran on that play was an exchange, and it involved our two freshmen. One of them (Healy) switched, and one of them (Rizzuto) stayed with their man. They got a wide-open shot at the end. It's a good learning experience for our guys in that situation."

While some of you are bashing Clark for making some poor decisions and pushing, I want to ask this: have any of you seen someone hustle harder than him in recent years? From steals, to rebounds, pushing 100%? 

From the eye test, he has been the spark plug of the team. I said it before: the team desperately needs someone else to step up and show his intensity.

38 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

While some of you are bashing Clark for making some poor decisions and pushing, I want to ask this: have any of you seen someone hustle harder than him in recent years? From steals, to rebounds, pushing 100%? 

From the eye test, he has been the spark plug of the team. I said it before: the team desperately needs someone else to step up and show his intensity.

I have defended him all year because he is the only one that can constantly do anything off the dribble.  And I believe we still need him. 

However he was downright horrible yesterday.  Not sure a player can play much worse. No confidence at all. 

Edited by UA1882

In fairness to Clark, passes of his do go through our bigs' hands a plenty. The sloppiness problem is teamwide and, in part, due to being less physical than our opponents (exceptions: Campbell, Lauderdale, & Miller). Protecting the basketball is a major issue. And we do need Clark out there and his ability to create and draw defenders. Circus shots are also attributable to not being able to create shots earlier in the shot clock for a variety of reasons already discussed on here. I don't know how to fix that. More screens, more pick and rolls, etc. That's a problem for Coach to figure out, and he will.

Edited by UA_MA_2000