UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfers

1 minute ago, cwdickens said:

The transfer portal will have a few UAlbany MBB players

And to be fair it would've had a few if WB had stayed too.  I would think a lot of our guys (the ones that already have a couple of schools under their belt) might not be in the best position to transfer again if they are looking to get a degree.  Maybe this helps us keep a couple of valuable pieces.

Just now, McFan said:

And to be fair it would've had a few if WB had stayed too.  I would think a lot of our guys (the ones that already have a couple of schools under their belt) might not be in the best position to transfer again if they are looking to get a degree.  Maybe this helps us keep a couple of valuable pieces.

The number will be much higher with him leaving.....underperforming players may stick it out in hopes....

12 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

The number will be much higher with him leaving.....underperforming players may stick it out in hopes....

That's probably true and understandable but over the last 3 years, 10 players have left. That's huge turnover for a program trying to establish some consistency. 

Over the last 5 years, 17 players left with eligibility remaining, plus the two famous grad transfers so total of 17 or 19 depending on how you want to look at it. I've been pretty vocal about this issue for years. 

Edited by Clickclack

9 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

As for the long term guys, Lulka is working on a grad degree, does he want to continue it elsewhere, may not be easy to do.  Healy may want a fresh start elsewhere but this season did not show his former skills.  Hank got no PT so he may just graduate and be done.  Rizzuto can be a senior leader next year and captain again and his involvement in the fire dept may keep him here.  Hutch and Shaffer may not stick around after lousy season performance, may go D2.

I'll say it here now, I think that naming Iati as interim coach is a pretty transparent attempt to retain Rizzuto for his senior year.

Feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding the NCAA rules and waivers that have been granted, one thing that may be working in favor of preventing a mass exodus is that given that this was basically a free year of eligibility is that scholarship spots elsewhere are going to be more limited than usual. Unless players are willing to transfer to a new school as a walk-on and then compete for playing time against recruited freshman and already established players, I think that there could maybe be slightly less turnover than at first glance.

Not saying that there won't be departures, I have a list of players that I think will not be on next year's roster, but it could potentially just be fewer than I thought there would be yesterday

I think we may see some of the players who got a lot of PT bounce because Brown is no longer coach but I think, other than the kid listed in the OP (who I honestly had no idea existed - sorry bud!) some of the kids at the end of the bench may stick around because this may be their chance to get PT at the D1 level due to the new coach likely not having many recruiting options, etc.

• Like 1

The one I am most worried about leaving is Amica. Kid has a wheels and in the few minutes we saw him play he was as advertised. I listened to an interview with him last year at this time and he stated 2 reasons for coming here: he saw an instant path to PT with Clark leaving being 1, and the other was Brown being here for so long. 

Injuries derailed #1 and now Brown is gone.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 3