UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SEFCU Reno

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Based on social media posts, I now know the MBB and the WBB locker rooms are finished.

Both teams completed a walk-thru today.

Yep, they look nice. Better than the dump they've had for the last 30 years. 

UALBANY BASKETBALL

Danes unveil new arena

Broadview Center opened to teams after year-long renovation

By Pete Dougherty

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F09&id=Pc0180600&ext=.jpg&ts=20231109081950
Jim Franco/Tunes Union

UAlbany’s unveiled its new arena, Broadview Center, formerly the SEFCU Arena, on Wednesday in Albany.

ALBANY — Equate it to waiting until Christmas morning to unwrap presents. Ny’mire Little and Kayla Cooper didn’t want to see their newly renovated basketball arena until it was ready.

The official unveiling came Wednesday, when Broadview Center, home to the University at Albany men’s and women’s basketball teams, was opened to the players and coaches.

“I wanted to wait until the finished product,” said Little, a redshirt sophomore from Chester, Pa. “I know some of the guys came in and out as they were progressing, but I wanted the full experience. It’s my first time seeing it. Definitely impressed.”

“I was super excited,” said Cooper, a senior guard from Frederick, Md. “We’ve been allowed to come in here as the process has been going, but I specifically said I don’t want to see it until it’s fully done. When I came in here this morning, I was so happy. It was so crazy.”

The year-long, $12 million renovation of the previously labeled SEFCU Arena caused both basketball teams last season to practice in a converted swimming pool in the basement of an adjacent building and to play their home games at Hudson Valley Community College in Troy.

Now each squad has its own spacious locker room, including theatre seating for film study.

“The efficiency of what we’re trying to do, it was always a challenge, not having a home,” Great Danes men’s coach Dwayne Killings said. “You’re watching a TV on what was once a pool on a practice court. It’s not the best learning environment for the guys. Somebody’s coming in right after you, so it’s not your own dedicated space. This is now our space.”

UAlbany’s women practiced there Wednesday. The men will get their first chance Friday.

“It’s a long time coming, and it just came out beautiful,” Great Danes women’s coach Colleen Mullen said. “It’s the premier venue in our league.”

Neither team will play a game here for a few weeks. The men are scheduled to christen the basketball facility Wednesday, Nov. 29, against Boston University. The women’s first game in their new home arrives Saturday, Dec. 2, a 2 p.m. game against crosstown rival Siena. That will be part of a doubleheader, as the men will play host to Dartmouth at 5 p.m.

The court lies perpendicular to the previous layout. All of the seats have backrests except for a student section in one end zone. Workers were still installing those seats and performing other finishing touches Wednesday.

“It’s great for us,” said Justin Neely, a redshirt sophomore from Miami, Fla. “This is my third year here, and each year it gets better and better. We’re blessed to be able to play in a brand-new arena, be given a new locker room and film room. We’ve just got to take advantage of it.”

The building first opened in the spring of 1992 as the Recreation and Convocation Center, or RACC. It was a key component to UAlbany’s 1999 transition into Division I athletics.

Because of the reconfiguration and the additional chair-back seating, basketball capacity has been reduced to 3,800, 700 fewer than the old arena. New hospitality areas have been created.

“Awesome” was a word heard often Wednesday as the players took in their new digs.

“It’s awesome,” said Lilly Phillips, a junior from East Greenbush. “We have a great fan base, awesome people that come and support us. To have the gym to go along is awesome.”

Pete Dougherty is a freelance writer. He can be reached at pete.dougherty7@gmail.com.

I happen to randomly be up in Albany for business.

Some things I noticed, including about Broadview

1 - It was really cold

2. The campus is so different, so any new quads and buildings, etc. 

3. Broadview is really nice.  Clean, simple and will likely be LOUD.  

4. They really need to update the entire athletic area to the new graphics.  The poles underneath the stadium still feature players with the old uniforms on.  The only one I would leave up would be the one of Lyle 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, while the arena is beautiful, the concessions are still downright pathetic and embarrassing. I want to bring friends and coworkers when in from out of town, but it's the first comment each guest I have brought has made. "WTF is up the concessions?"

No options, $3.00 for a quarter full tiny bag of popcorn, hot dogs that are green in color, and nothing else. I'd rather pay twice as much and get a full bag of popcorn, and have an option for a burger or something else. Concessions at HVCC last year were better by several orders of magnitude. There is a captive audience that would buy stuff if it was decent... Double the prices and give us something worth eating!

• Like 3

Had the same thought when I took my boys to the women's game against Navy.   They should really use the team store as a second concessions area.  That is until phase 2 and 3 are done.  Concessions were my only disappointment those Chilli Nachos were gross and megger on the chilli.  But I think that it will get better with time.