UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Allegations swirling...

My guess is the suspension and fine is because DK didn't self-report the incident. I don't think it's as much about the contact as it is about the fact that, presumably based on the PRs, that it was kept quiet (but by whom?). The fact it was brought to the school's attention 3 months later is probably why he was fined and suspended. But are we really to believe that only he and the players knew for 3 months? I don't. Why isn't Benson being asked the tough questions?

This is all so tiresome.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 7:31 AM, cwdickens said:

I like to think Vic and Benson are smart enough not to conspire to cover-up....five years ago there was investigation into a women's sports program .... more about how the coach was treating the student athletes .... the investigation, my understanding, resulted from concerns by one or more student athletes .... the coach resigned just prior to the sports season.

My questions have been:

• Why did DK not self report the incident at the time of the occurrence?  If this incident was unintentional, this could have dealt with and by now long forgotten
  • Did other MBB players or MBB assistant coaches witness the alleged incident?  Did any of them report the incident to someone within the Athletic Department and if not why?  What prevented them from reporting the incident.

Speaking of Vic .... saw him last Tuesday, while walking over to Fallon Field for WLAX ..... he looked like a "hot mess" and was on his cell phone .... what appeared to be having serious conversation.... As I said earlier .... I started to realize that something was up when the number of social media posts dropped to zero and the lack of participation in the March Madness was minimal for MBB 

In response to Jimbo, I feel my comments from Wednesday should appear .... We can only speculate why the student athlete did not report at the time of the incident however; the incident cannot not be mitigated by the timing of its reporting.  Further, a careful reading of the University at Albany Statement on the Men’s Basketball Program may provide the answers for you.  My only question, did the University provide sufficient training in self reporting to Dwayne Killings and his staff.

Edited by cwdickens

Little bit of grab ass in the hype circle never hurt anyone. 😛

Seriously though, I haven't been on here in a while and saw the story pop up yesterday so I came to read.  20 pages was too much to read. I think this is a terrible look for the school, Benson and Killings.  I really think Benson has done a completely terrible job and should not be the AD anymore.

I'm pretty sure we're not going to hear what actually happened. The walk-on who played the game for free is packing while the guys who make six-figure salaries hire PR firms to obscure things as much as possible.

Here's what I've seen from the outside over the past year:

-the Calipari testimonial at the opening presser didn't sit well.

-the hiring of Tibbs from Vermont with a scandal didn't sit well.

-this past year, I saw more players get techs for mouthing off to officials than I remember in the last 10 years of Albany basketball.

-Now, there's whatever the hell this was that puts a cloud over the men's basketball program, no matter how many PR firms get hired.

Edited by Dane Pound
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

I'm pretty sure we're not going to hear what actually happened. The walk-on who played the game for free is packing while the guys who make six-figure salaries hire PR firms to obscure things as much as possible.

Here's what I've seen from the outside over the past year:

-the Calipari testimonial at the opening presser didn't sit well.

-the hiring of Tibbs from Vermont with a scandal didn't sit well.

-this past year, I saw more players get techs more mouthing off to officials than I remember in the last 10 years of Albany basketball.

-Now, there's whatever the hell this was that puts a cloud over the men's basketball program, no matter how many PR firms get hired.

Love when you post, it is the proverbial icing on the cake. Great post. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Love when you post, it is the proverbial icing on the cake. Great post. 

Thanks. It honestly feels like the Albany athletic department is trying to make me stopping caring about Albany athletics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

Thanks. It honestly feels like the Albany athletic department is trying to make me stopping caring about Albany athletics. 

It's not just you, it's most of us.  The Benson tenure hasn't been a total dumpster fire...it's close though.  Any gains are not from his leadership. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

Thank you Dane Pound….you ascribe to an important virtue…say little but when you do speak you say alot….my wife and I have been loyal contributors long before GDAC was a gleam in Benson’s eyes…I am carefully marshalling my words for an email I plan on sending Fardin Sinai tomorrow to tell him we are severing our financial relationship to UA. It quite simply comes down to this in my book—what would UA do if a poly sci professor got physical or otherwise attempted to intimidate a student? Would they say its a one-off and merely suspend the prof? I think i know the answer already.

I can’t speak or suggest to others what they should or should not do but as for us—sadly we are done!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cwdickens said:

In response to Jimbo, I feel my comments from Wednesday should appear .... We can only speculate why the student athlete did not report at the time of the incident however; the incident cannot not be mitigated by the timing of its reporting.  Further, a careful reading of the University at Albany Statement on the Men’s Basketball Program may provide the answers for you.  My only question, did the University provide sufficient training in self reporting to Dwayne Killings and his staff.

The statements seem too wrap it up in a neat package....a little too neat for me. If it was isolated and accidental, was he confronted by the player? Did he apologize and think it was over? Did he know he was required to report it? WHO reported it three months later and why?  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimbo said:

The statements seem too wrap it up in a neat package....a little too neat for me. If it was isolated and accidental, was he confronted by the player? Did he apologize and think it was over? Did he know he was required to report it? WHO reported it three months later and why?  

It is interesting to me that neither the UA nor DK's statement refer to the physical contact being accidental.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, statefan said:

It is interesting to me that neither the UA nor DK's statement refer to the physical contact being accidental.

Yep...and what possibly could have happened in a hype circle and doesn't get reported for 3 months? This story is madness where no one looks good. 

Few love UA hoops as much as I do...but with my move South and mismanagement of the entire department I will be severing financial ties until Benson is replaced.

This bizarre incident makes that a lot easier to do and step away to that degree.

Can someone advise me who best to contact to voice my frustrations with Benson and how this has been handled? 

Edited by Clickclack

25 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Yep...and what possibly could have happened in a hype circle and doesn't get reported for 3 months? This story is madness where no one looks good. 

Few love UA hoops as much as I do...but with my move South and mismanagement of the entire department I will be severing financial ties until Benson is replaced.

This bizarre incident makes that a lot easier to do and step away to that degree.

Can someone advise me who best to contact to voice my frustrations with Benson and how this has been handled? 

Fardan Sanai -top VP for Development—his business is contributions….he needs to know your money is going away….don’t waste your time with the AD—GDAC folks….Sanai is the guy…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

The original word “accidental” was used by a reporter on Twitter per sources that said Killings claims it was accidental. Again no one knows exactly what happened, but people are ran with that tweet where the word accidental was used. 

All the local papers and news outlets ran off of this specific tweet. No where is a direct quote from Killings saying it was accidental. It is Jeff Goodman who is using the word accidental from whatever sources he spoke with.

Edited by UA'08

3 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I've emailed the president about Benson and Gattuso in the past and can't even get a boiler plate auto reply, so definitely not that useless bag'o'bones. I figured he'd be interested in knowing a longtime season ticket holders stance considering I saw him at many MBB games but I guess not. 

• Haha 1