UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Allegations swirling...

ALBANY — Prominent members of the Capital Region community shared their support for University at Albany men’s basketball coach Dwayne Killings at a rally Thursday afternoon and called on the university to be more transparent in its investigation.

Killings is facing an inquiry into an alleged incident before a road game in November. Stadium’s Jeff Goodman reported that Killings is accused of striking a player, and that Killings says it was accidental.

“The community is really concerned about what’s going on here with this particular issue,” Dr. Alice Green, executive director of The Center for Law and Justice, said. “We are not being given the information about this process, so we’re very confused and concerned.”

Those gathered see Killings as a bridge between the community, particularly the Black community, and UAlbany, said Marcus Q. Pryor, an Albany native and businessman.

“This is more than just about one man. We heard the university when the university came into our community and said, ‘We get it, we need to change the construct. We as a university need to be part of the community,’ ” Pryor said. “We heard that, we believed that. We actually saw it start to happen. … There’s too much at stake. We can’t go backwards, and we look for Coach to have a fair, transparent process because we’re confident we know this man’s character.”

UAlbany issued a statement Thursday afternoon after the rally finished.

“The University at Albany’s top priority is supporting the health and well-being of our students and employees in an environment that is inclusive and equitable,” the statement read. “While the University recognizes and understands this is a matter of public interest and that there may be incomplete information circulating publicly, it cannot disclose information that would violate student privacy and will not discuss personnel matters publicly. The University is committed to a process that is full, fair, equitable and respectful of the rights of everyone involved – and to conducting this process in good faith.”

A spokesman declined to comment further. UAlbany has not commented beyond Thursday’s statement and a statement Monday confirming that there is an investigation.

Pryor requested a meeting with UAlbany president Havidan Rodriguez on Tuesday, and said his understanding is that Rodriguez is currently traveling. Pryor sent Rodriguez another letter following the statement clarifying that he's not asking the school to discuss private student matters or share personnel information, but rather that the school "listen to what we have to say" regarding Killings' impact on the community.

When asked what transparency in this process might look like, Pryor said "I think transparency would look like understanding what their process is."

In addition to Pryor and Green, Jamil Hood, founder of Hood’s House of Hoops; Tony Gaddy, president of the Upstate New York Black Chamber of Commerce; Pastor Leonard Comithier of Macedonia Baptist Church; Dominick Purnomo, owner of Yono’s restaurant; and Kathleen McLean, UAlbany alum and president of The McLean Group, all spoke of Killings’ work in the community and their expectations that UAlbany be more communicative about the investigation.

“I think we just would like to see some transparency because there’s been little to no communication outside of the university. We see a man, a family man, a leader, who has stepped up and embraced this community,” Purnomo said.

Hood spoke at length about the work Killings has done with House of Hoops, a nonprofit community center in West Hill.

“You get a guy like Coach Killings to come in and to speak to the kids and introduce himself to the parents and say, ‘Hey, listen I’m invested in this community. ’… What that does, it provides a safety and it provides hope and parents feel comfortable bringing their kids to our program,” Hood said. “I’m talking about Coach Killings’ character. The man came in — when I call him, he’s there. He’s sending the boys down to help clean and shoot hoops.”

“If this man is going to come here and invest in our city, what message are we sending if we don’t honor his commitment with the same amount of commitment with process? If we don’t demand a better process, we’re sending a terrible message,” Gaddy said.

None of the speakers had spoken of the alleged incident with Killings, though Pryor said he’s seen him since the news broke.

“I know that he’s scared that he’s about to be taken from a community that he took a big risk on and loves being a part of,” Pryor said.

Times Union, Online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRSGDG said:

Some Albany PR firms have been tweeting pro DK things today....wonder if someone hired some PR firms on behalf of DK.

With no “insider” info, and no actual information released on the incident by the school, I don’t see anything wrong with people wanting to support Killings. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

With no “insider” info, and no actual information released on the incident by the school, I don’t see anything wrong with people wanting to support Killings. 

Absolutely agree.

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns- the ones we don't know we don't know.” 
 Donald Rumsfeld

A lot was said and written about the above statement, but I think it’s apropos to the situation. We know there’s an investigation into an incident. We appear to know the time frame. We think we know the player involved and hence his actions and playing time after the incident. We don’t know the actual incident beyond that it was likely some physical contact. We don’t know if a coverup occurred or if a scholarship was offered or who knew what and when. What we do know is that it’s more evidence of eroding confidence in the AD and it’s administrators. We do know DK’s prior experience and how he presents and conducts himself in public. Maybe there’s some kernels of truth to all of the speculation. Time will tell, but it’s a definite unfortunate turn of events under Benson’s watch...and they are adding up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

What we do know there was an impact on the ability of the UAlbany MBB program to raise money during the recent GDAC X March Madness Campaign ...... only Strength and Conditioning and the Spirit Squad raised less .... further as a percentage of goal MBB finished dead less far behind any group at 41% vs. 209% for WBB and 216% for WLAX ..... My question: What type of impact will the Allegations Swirling have season ticket sales?

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

What we do know there was an impact on the ability of the UAlbany MBB program to raise money during the recent GDAC X March Madness Campaign ...... only Strength and Conditioning and the Spirit Squad raised less .... further as a percentage of goal MBB finished dead less far behind any group at 41% vs. 209% for WBB and 216% for WLAX ..... My question: What type of impact will the Allegations Swirling have season ticket sales?

It will have a negative impact, of that I am certain.

I am not renewing my MBB season tickets (more of a donation at this point since I can't attend) until Benson is relieved of his duties. Regardless of who the coach is (Brown, DK, etc.). I did not renew FB and won't until BOTH Benson and Gattuso are gone, even if Benson fires Gattuso and hires a new coach. Benson is the common denominator and has ruined our overall athletics program.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Dane96 said:

“I know that he’s scared that he’s about to be taken from a community that he took a big risk on and loves being a part of,” Pryor said.

Loved the article and the support from the community. DK has done more in one year to build community; while Benson has done nothing but alienate the community and the fan base since day one. We can argue all day if you want, whether his hires/fires/extensions have improved UA athletics or NOT. But there is little argument from parking, to prices, to seat backs, strollers, umbrellas, to facilities uses & upgrades. to community and fan support, marketing, etc. etc.  he IMHO has been a DISMAL FAILURE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheroad said:

If the investigation shows the contact was not planned, occured in a normal setting such as a practice and it was not meant to physically hurt the stident- DK should be able to keep his job.

what?

So if its unplanned, out in the open and not meant to hurt its okay? 

You may think that, but the law in many places may differ. I mean I can out in the open not plan to hit someone with a car, and not mean to hurt them I'm pretty sure I'd still be liable for negligence (I'm no lawyer). 

14 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

what?

So if its unplanned, out in the open and not meant to hurt its okay? 

You may think that, but the law in many places may differ. I mean I can out in the open not plan to hit someone with a car, and not mean to hurt them I'm pretty sure I'd still be liable for negligence (I'm no lawyer). 

To have an assault you have to have intent.  If I pump my fist and accidentally hit someone, that's not assault because I did not intend to hit them.  Also, thats a LOT of people sticking their neck out for DK, they have to have SOME inside knowledge, at least from DK himself.

1 hour ago, uofalbany said:

Didn't one or two of you mention that you had some sort of inside information...?

Fifteen pages of speculation and conjecture. 

It's just my opinion but I believe that's what a message board is for. 

Anyone with inside information believes, and has stated it publicly, Killings will be let go.  Ex) Wyland. 

Unfortunately it appears our school has done a very poor job handling the situation.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UA1882 said:

It's just my opinion but I believe that's what a message board is for. 

Anyone with inside information believes, and has stated it publicly, Killings will be let go.  Ex) Wyland. 

Unfortunately it appears our school has done a very poor job handling the situation.  

Ex Wyland? or except wyland?