UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Allegations swirling...

5 minutes ago, Ron said:

I still don't understand what Killings could have done in the pregame hype circle to warrant being suspended 5 games (and I assume being docked 25% of his pay) and being fined $25k. It makes no sense.  Why would he accept this?

To move on, attempt to put this behind him and coach for the next four years at UAlbany.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron said:

I still don't understand what Killings could have done in the pregame hype circle to warrant being suspended 5 games (and I assume being docked 25% of his pay) and being fined $25k. It makes no sense.  Why would he accept this?

Only thing I can think of is that it's not the contact that's the big deal but that he didn't self-report (based on what we know).

So the decision is in, and our coach will stay. Albany civic leaders wanted transparency. As a UA alum, season ticket holder and financial supporter of the program since before it went D-1, I also wanted transparency. We all did but we didn’t get it. We don’t really know what happened and will probably never know. All we have are some admissions from the coach. He admits to inappropriate contact with a player, and also admits that he never reported this to anyone. Ever. In my opinion, these are grounds for dismissal. A fine? Suspension? He should be fired!

I would have liked to see Killings, Ad Benson, or others, in front of a microphone at a news conference, explaining what happened, why it wasn’t reported when it happened, and submit themselves to a Q and A session with local reporters. This won’t happen, but it would have gone a long way toward restoring some connection with UA fans, and create or recreate some respect and trust in UA’s ability to handle such situations.

Do these “civic leaders” still want or care about transparency now that their guy will keep his job? Who cares what happened as long as he’s not fired? In the future, if he accidentally hits another player or his teams go thru 3-4 straight losing seasons, and UA wants to fire him, will we go thru this same scenario again?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The MBB situation is discouraging and a mess.  But more discouraging is the comments about not supporting UA athletics

We began supporting MBB in the 1960's as I played for "Doc" for 4 years.  In recent years we changed our donations to UA athletics.  Remember, your donation goes to the student athletes.  We have sixteen teams and a lot of very, very fine coaches.  More importantly we have some great young people who represent us by their play and commitment to the community.  Think of the broad picture as THIS TOO WILL PASS!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oldtimer said:

The MBB situation is discouraging and a mess.  But more discouraging is the comments about not supporting UA athletics

We began supporting MBB in the 1960's as I played for "Doc" for 4 years.  In recent years we changed our donations to UA athletics.  Remember, your donation goes to the student athletes.  We have sixteen teams and a lot of very, very fine coaches.  More importantly we have some great young people who represent us by their play and commitment to the community.  Think of the broad picture as THIS TOO WILL PASS!!

This is the correct, measured and well-thought out response.  With age comes wisdom..sometimes.  Some of these old lunatics down in Florida are completely bonkers. 

Edited by BestDaneSinceHamlet

6 hours ago, Eli said:

You folks want Benson here for 20 years? Because continuing to donate is how you keep Benson here for 20 years.

There is absolutely no coalition between our financial support of our student athletes and whether or not we support Benson ... while the success of fund raising may be part of Benson's annual job evaluation .... not likely the biggest part of the annual evaluation. 

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

13 hours ago, Oldtimer said:

By your own words, the MBB program is discouraging and a mess. You must agree that the football program is a dumpster fire. MLax has declined from a nationally recognized power to a middle of the AE conference also ran. These are the three premier men’s programs. What do we do to effect change? Clearly, our complaints fall on deaf ears and our AD is somehow locked into keeping and extending a bad coach. You may want to keep losing, keep having controversy after controversy...but I don’t. So what would be your advise to change the situation and outlook? Keep pumping money and season ticket orders at the athletic department? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

There is absolutely no coalition between our financial support of our student athletes and whether or not we support Benson ... while the success of fund raising may be part of Benson's annual job evaluation .... not likely the biggest part of the annual evaluation. 

He was brought in specifically for his fundraising acumen, was he not? Wasn't that his big selling point coming from Old Dominion?

Again, I can't tell others what to do with their money, so if you want to continue to throw good money after bad...by all means. But insinuating to other diehard fans that they are somehow less diehard because they choose to speak with their wallets (mind you, they've tried to speak with emails and conversations) and therefor 'not true fans of our student athletes' is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Eli said:

You folks want Benson here for 20 years? Because continuing to donate is how you keep Benson here for 20 years.

I do not want Benson here for any longer than it takes me to type this. I absolutely understand why you and many others are bailing; probably $s the only way to get anyone to listen to us. But, sorry I just cannot bring myself to end  or cut back my UA athletic support. Been giving since 1972, even was recognized once for X consecutive years of giving. Recently reverted to making ALL my contributions directly to UA Foundation. I did this for a number of years after GDAC was formed, because I did not like GDAC being a separate fund raising campaign, but eventually gave up fighting it. 

Anyhow, while I fully respect each individuals choices, I personally cannot bring myself to stop supporting UA athletics and primarily the student athletes.

Edited by dslyank

44 minutes ago, Eli said:

He was brought in specifically for his fundraising acumen, was he not? Wasn't that his big selling point coming from Old Dominion?

Again, I can't tell others what to do with their money, so if you want to continue to throw good money after bad...by all means. But insinuating to other diehard fans that they are somehow less diehard because they choose to speak with their wallets (mind you, they've tried to speak with emails and conversations) and therefor 'not true fans of our student athletes' is ridiculous.

Once again, you miss the main point of my response to your comment.

Perhaps, the Big Purple Forum should file a Freedom of Information request for Benson's latest employee evaluation. 

Do you think we will ever see the evaluation? Never...

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

I do not want Benson here for any longer than it takes me to type this. I absolutely understand why you and many others are bailing; probably $s the only way to get anyone to listen to us. But, sorry I just cannot bring myself to end  or cut back my UA athletic support. Been giving since 1972, even was recognized once for X consecutive years of giving. Recently reverted to making ALL my contributions directly to UA Foundation. I did this for a number of years after GDAC was formed, because I did not like GDAC being a separate fund raising campaign, but eventually gave up fighting it. 

Anyhow, while I fully respect each individuals choices, I personally cannot bring myself to stop supporting UA athletics and primarily the student athletes.

And that is perfectly fine and OK, this is an individual choice. I will be cutting all my financial commitment to the school. Even though I am moving, my plan was to continue the same dollar donation to the athletic department (+ Giving day donation) even giving up my season tickets. The extension of Gattuso made me strongly question if I should do this...the last few weeks has put a nail in that coffin. I detest the "leadership" of Mark Benson and his complete mismanagement of the athletic department to such a degree that it's forced me to make a decision I never thought I would. My donations have always been earmarked for football/basketball or just basketball as those are the sports I really care about. 

People can chose to do what they see fit with their money. I will reconsider my position when Benson is relieved of his duties. Football won't see a cent until that loser walks out holding a cardboard box. I'm not a big doner, I'm at a point in my life where I can start to step up those donations but not in this environment. I'm sure it won't put a dent in their budget but there are others like me. Mark Benson is losing some of the most ardent supporters of UA Athletics and if that doesn't scare the $iena out of him...we'll he's as stupid as we all think he is. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UAlbany men’s basketball coach Killings scheduled for arraignment Monday in Kentucky on charge stemming from November 2021 locker room incident

https://dailygazette.com/2023/01/20/ualbany-mens-basketball-coach-killings-scheduled-for-arraignment-monday-in-kentucky-on-charge-stemming-from-november-2021-locker-room-incident/

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Thanks 1