UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Men's Basketball Coach Search

"The style of play until late in the season this year is at times unwatchable.  Look at the lack of interest in game threads on this board and attendance figures.  If you're winning you deal w/ that style but when you aren't (and I mean really winning) that style is awful to watch.  "

This has been my 100% complaint about Will Brown all these years.  You have the population, and a potential fan base, but the style and disinterest in things like OOC was never going to get those "Asses In The Seats" and without consistent winning...

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, McFan said:

I know this thread is supposed to be about the new coaching search but it's become the "we love Will Brown" or at least "Will Brown was our best option" thread.  Look if his contract wasn't up I get it but are/were all of you okay w/ the direction of the program.  In a very low level conference we've been mediocre lately.  Our recruits (true recruits not the transfers that came in this year) have been somewhere between non contributors to inconsistent at best.  Rizzuto was the only "recruit" to do much of anything this year.  And last year people were wondering if he was a D1 player.  The style of play until late in the season this year is at times unwatchable.  Look at the lack of interest in game threads on this board and attendance figures.  If you're winning you deal w/ that style but when you aren't (and I mean really winning) that style is awful to watch.  

Now, is Will Brown solely responsible for all of those things?  Of course not.  Will his supporters on this board continue to point out how others were at fault?  Of course.  Are there excuses, both valid and not?  Yup.  But at a point in time when his contract is up I just don't see pounding the table saying getting rid of him is indefensible.  You can hate Benson and still understand this decision.  You can think Will Brown is a great guy that did tremendous things in his time at UA and still understand this decision.   To me there just isn't enough evidence over the last handful of years to justify giving him another contract.  If he had time left on his contract it's a different discussion.  

Thank you, why is it not OK as fans to not be satisfied with a bad 3 years? It's not like the product has been good and change was made with years left. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McFan said:

I know this thread is supposed to be about the new coaching search but it's become the "we love Will Brown" or at least "Will Brown was our best option" thread.  Look if his contract wasn't up I get it but are/were all of you okay w/ the direction of the program.  In a very low level conference we've been mediocre lately.  Our recruits (true recruits not the transfers that came in this year) have been somewhere between non contributors to inconsistent at best.  Rizzuto was the only "recruit" to do much of anything this year.  And last year people were wondering if he was a D1 player.  The style of play until late in the season this year is at times unwatchable.  Look at the lack of interest in game threads on this board and attendance figures.  If you're winning you deal w/ that style but when you aren't (and I mean really winning) that style is awful to watch.  

Now, is Will Brown solely responsible for all of those things?  Of course not.  Will his supporters on this board continue to point out how others were at fault?  Of course.  Are there excuses, both valid and not?  Yup.  But at a point in time when his contract is up I just don't see pounding the table saying getting rid of him is indefensible.  You can hate Benson and still understand this decision.  You can think Will Brown is a great guy that did tremendous things in his time at UA and still understand this decision.   To me there just isn't enough evidence over the last handful of years to justify giving him another contract.  If he had time left on his contract it's a different discussion.  

This is a new coach thread, yes. People have the right to talk about the qualities that a new coach should have. And of course that's going to be compared to the last coach... Or for example conversations about those qualities of a new coach and what qualities the old coach did or did not have. And that may very well still involve people saying that they like certain coach qualities that our last coach had.

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

This is a new coach thread, yes. People have the right to talk about the qualities that a new coach should have. And of course that's going to be compared to the last coach... Or for example conversations about those qualities of a new coach and what qualities the old coach did or did not have. And that may very well still involve people saying that they like certain coach qualities that our last coach had.

Certainly wasn't questioning yours, or anybody's, right to do so.  I was simply stating why I was putting my comment here rather than somewhere else.  

I reserve the right to invoke the former coach when the names being thrown around are uninspiring retread coaches with losing records. That's all I'm saying (well, not really.)

People who wanted a change are getting their way. I also reserve the right to come in here with a flame-thrower if we go to hell or Binghamton.

Names from Goodman:

Desmond Oliver (Tennessee) Kyle Neptune (Villanova) Dwayne Killings (Marquette) Antoni Wyche (Siena)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

I reserve the right to invoke the former coach when the names being thrown around are uninspiring retread coaches with losing records. That's all I'm saying (well, not really.)

People who wanted a change are getting their way. I also reserve the right to come in here with a flame-thrower if we go to hell or Binghamton.

Names from Goodman:

Desmond Oliver (Tennessee) Kyle Neptune (Villanova) Dwayne Killings (Marquette) Antoni Wyche (Siena)

Wait. What’s wrong with a guy from Villanova? 

7 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

Names from Goodman:

With the exception of the llc name those are some names from some big schools.  We will see. 

2 minutes ago, B9j2j6s said:

I know Benson is public enemy number 1 for some on this board me included.   We should take A LITTLE comfort in that he wants to prove he can hire winning coaches so he can move to a better job.  So we will see.    

My gut tells me, he has been already been looking for awhile ... not necessarily I need to get out of here now search... his name is at a Robert Half type search firm... his resume is updated....a number letter of interest samples available ... a market plan in place... plus a list of places he like to work at... a search that allows him to consider something if he believes better for himself and his career.... considering his background... could go back to corporate .... or on to another institutional position ....  I do not think what happen to McElroy is not loss on him ....

14 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

Names from Goodman:

...go to hell or Binghamton...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1