UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Men's Basketball Coach Search

12 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

Firing a coach while the university is having financial problems probably doesn't put you in a great position in terms of offering more pay to a new coach. That might have been something he should have thought about last week.

Firing a coach who was popular in the community and who many alumni/fans wanted to keep probably pissed off and alienated some of your donors. That might have been something he should have thought about last week.

It's a fairly open secret that our AD is looking for another job. The game is, the same search firms that place ADs also place coaches. So, by firing the basketball coach, you get to hire the search firm that might place you in AD job. That might make the search firm happy and they might recommend you for the AD job you really want. I'm actually glad someone might have stepped in and said no to the search firm racket.

It seems like it would be tough to hire a guy with previous D1 coaching experience because:

1. if they've been winning, they're probably going to go higher than us to something that pays more.

2. If they're a retread former head coach like say Geno Ford at Stony Brook or Cliff Warren who coached for 9 years and has a below 500 career winning percentage, someone might ask why you fired a guy who has a career winning percentage and 5 NCAA tournament apperances for someone with a losing record.

I'd like this post twice if I could.

5 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Makes you wonder why some other D1 school has scoop the person up...how many different places does have to be.... and the phase "see what works best"  something that works with one group of players may not work with another... Benson never been on the front line of coaching... at times he just repeating things he has heard elsewhere ... just blowing smoke

He's a pencil pusher, at it's finest...and empty suit at the helm.  Honestly, if it weren't for Cannata, Vives, Gattuso, Marr, Brown...and others...he'd have a shyte department.  He's lucked into fabulous coaches.

No disrespect to Lucious, great guy...but he's not remotely experienced to run this program.  Not a chance.  

I mean, if we are going that route, and I can understand Benson not wanting to keep Iati if he wants a clean break from the current staff...why not go after Brent Wilson.  Brent is 169-44 at Sullivan CC over 7 years. It's super impressive.  He also is the Assistant AD, so he gets the management aspect of the job...and could "understand" Benson.

Brent was a star at Albany, loves the school and area.  He's coached at Albany and North Dakota.  He has experience with JUCOs and that recruiting scene, which will help in the new era of transferring that the NCAA is allowing. His wife is a former star Field Hockey player at UAlbany. 

Oh, and he lead Sullivan to a NCJAA Division 2 #2 National Ranking, something even Will didn't accomplish at Sullivan. He helped helm the transition of Sullivan from NCJAA Division 3 to 2.  He also has won at least 21 games in all 7 seasons.

So, if we are looking to go the "hungry" been at multiple places and multiple levels route, with some tweaks to the current compensation package, and get someone who understands ADEPT management and the new normal with transferring, why not BRENT WILSON.  He bleeds purple and gold, through and through. 

The resume, compared to Lucious....light years better.

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

He's a pencil pusher, at it's finest...and empty suit at the helm.  Honestly, if it weren't for Cannata, Vives, Gattuso, Marr, Brown...and others...he'd have a shyte department.  He's lucked into fabulous coaches.

No disrespect to Lucious, great guy...but he's not remotely experienced to run this program.  Not a chance.  

I mean, if we are going that route, and I can understand Benson not wanting to keep Iati if he wants a clean break from the current staff...why not go after Brent Wilson.  Brent is 169-44 at Sullivan CC over 7 years. It's super impressive.  He also is the Assistant AD, so he gets the management aspect of the job...and could "understand" Benson.

Brent was a star at Albany, loves the school and area.  He's coached at Albany and North Dakota.  He has experience with JUCOs and that recruiting scene, which will help in the new era of transferring that the NCAA is allowing. His wife is a former star Field Hockey player at UAlbany. 

Oh, and he lead Sullivan to a NCJAA Division 2 #2 National Ranking, something even Will didn't accomplish at Sullivan. He helped helm the transition of Sullivan from NCJAA Division 3 to 2.  He also has won at least 21 games in all 7 seasons.

So, if we are looking to go the "hungry" been at multiple places and multiple levels route, with some tweaks to the current compensation package, and get someone who understands ADEPT management and the new normal with transferring, why not BRENT WILSON.  He bleeds purple and gold, through and through. 

I check in on his team every year since he started there.  Think it is great what's he done there and if we can't get an established asst from a big school, I would love to see him get a shot here. 

Edited by DanesRGood

The play here is an assistant coach with a winning record at a midmajor or higher major. A long track record of winning as an assistant at those programs. That's who we are going after (I hope). Thats the play here.

Not a head coach at a CC. Not a head coach who has failed at like minded schools like ours.  New blood that has been at a winning school (at a better conference). 

The only exception that I can think of is that former Niagara coach that cheated on his wife.  

19 hours ago, Dane96 said:

So how does Lou Jordan fit that bill.  UMass is meh. 

Lou can petition all he want's for the job, there is no indication he's even being looked at. You don't let go of Brown and then hire Lou. If that's the play, Benson should be fired on the spot. 

I don't understand a few posts here, respectfully. 

- The speculation is/was that Benson is throwing a bone to a search firm, thus greasing the skids to his next job via said search firm. He comes out and says no search firm is being used and people are upset? This is the right move to not get into bed with a search firm. 

- Speculation is/was that Brown was let go so they can save money, pay someone half the salary. Benson comes out and says they are hiring someone at comparable comp level and people are upset? This should in theory mean a candidate that is NOT a cheap-ass cop-out move. 

These two things are PRECISELY what we should want to hear. Can someone explain where the approach as we know it to date is not a good one? I don't get it! Or is this a case of people still upset that the change was made?

Edited by Clickclack
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Dane96 said:

I’d back this in a heartbeat 

24 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

- The speculation is/was that Benson is throwing a bone to a search firm, thus greasing the skids to his next job via said search firm. He comes out and says no search firm is being used and people are upset? This is the right move to not get into bed with a search firm. 

- Speculation is/was that Brown was let go so they can save money, pay someone half the salary. Benson comes out and says they are hiring someone at comparable comp level and people are upset? This should in theory mean a candidate that is NOT a cheap-ass cop-out move. 

These two things are PRECISELY what we should want to hear. Can someone explain where the approach as we know it to date is not a good one? I don't get it! Or is this a case of people still upset that the change was made?

I have to same conclusion that you arrived at .... all do respect ... I do not understand where you are coming from  ... no search firm .... is Vic and Benson reading all those letters of interest and resumes.... Is seeking any guidance from UAlbany HR....Is there a committee approach?   Yes, people are still upset.... what do you expect "cool our heels" ... do you expect  us to "shut-up and go away"....nearly 20 years with Will... no it will not be easy....with a 2 million sports budget gap ... likely growing .... what did you expect Benson to say about the salary...once again the forum is the place to agree to disagree

2 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

I have to same conclusion that you arrived at .... all do respect ... I do not understand where you are coming from  ... no search firm .... is Vic and Benson reading all those letters of interest and resumes.... Is seeking any guidance from UAlbany HR....Is there a committee approach?   Yes, people are still upset.... what do you expect "cool our heels" ... do you expect  us to "shut-up and go away"....nearly 20 years with Will... no it will not be easy....with a 2 million sports budget gap ... likely growing .... what did you expect Benson to say about the salary...once again the forum is the place to agree to disagree

It's your right to disagree, I'm not trying to shut you or anyone else up. I guess it's your right NOT to take him at his word that a) is not using a search firm and b) comp level will stay the same or relatively close. If you insist that the above to items are him lying, that's your prerogative and hey, we'll see once the hire is made over time we'll be able to confirm if he was or wasn't. 

2 hours ago, Clickclack said:

You're doing better than me because there are a lot of posts here I don't understand.

From the language of last week's press release, it sounded like they were hiring a search firm. This week, that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I never thought they fired Brown to save money. Others may have, I don't know.

I'm sure there will be a lot of names thrown around here in the coming weeks. If one of those names had nearly 20 years of D1 coaching experience, a positive career winning percentage, multiple NCAA tournament appearances and ran a clean program I wonder if they'd go to the top of the list?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

I'm sure there will be a lot of names thrown around here in the coming weeks. If one of those names had nearly 20 years of D1 coaching experience, a positive career winning percentage, multiple NCAA tournament appearances and ran a clean program I wonder if they'd go to the top of the list?

As GDG says to me, it's just like what Ted Turner said after he fired Bobby Cox....and the irony he ended up back to he Braves and won. (just a little baseball talk in the basketball thread)

"A fresh face, that's all it was,' Turner said of the decision to fire Cox, who managed the Braves for four seasons and still has a year to go on his contract. 'If Bobby wasn't here, he'd be one of the leading candidates for the job. A new broom sweeps clean. That's all."  

" Cox’s first stint managing the Braves would last from 1978 to 1981, resulting in a 266-323 record. When Turner was asked at a 1981 press conference who the likely next manager of the Braves would be, he replied, “It would be Bobby Cox if I hadn’t just fired him. We need someone like him around here." -HOF

12 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

If one of those names had nearly 20 years of D1 coaching experience, a positive career winning percentage, multiple NCAA tournament appearances and ran a clean program I wonder if they'd go to the top of the list?

Maybe WB can submit a resume with a middle initial or change his name to Bill Brown? And then wear a mask to the interview? I mean, with COVID and all...

LOL

• Haha 1

I know this thread is supposed to be about the new coaching search but it's become the "we love Will Brown" or at least "Will Brown was our best option" thread.  Look if his contract wasn't up I get it but are/were all of you okay w/ the direction of the program.  In a very low level conference we've been mediocre lately.  Our recruits (true recruits not the transfers that came in this year) have been somewhere between non contributors to inconsistent at best.  Rizzuto was the only "recruit" to do much of anything this year.  And last year people were wondering if he was a D1 player.  The style of play until late in the season this year is at times unwatchable.  Look at the lack of interest in game threads on this board and attendance figures.  If you're winning you deal w/ that style but when you aren't (and I mean really winning) that style is awful to watch.  

Now, is Will Brown solely responsible for all of those things?  Of course not.  Will his supporters on this board continue to point out how others were at fault?  Of course.  Are there excuses, both valid and not?  Yup.  But at a point in time when his contract is up I just don't see pounding the table saying getting rid of him is indefensible.  You can hate Benson and still understand this decision.  You can think Will Brown is a great guy that did tremendous things in his time at UA and still understand this decision.   To me there just isn't enough evidence over the last handful of years to justify giving him another contract.  If he had time left on his contract it's a different discussion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1