UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Men's Basketball Coach Search

3 hours ago, cwdickens said:

My gut tells me, he has been already been looking for awhile ... not necessarily I need to get out of here now search... his name is at a Robert Half type search firm... his resume is updated....a number letter of interest samples available ... a market plan in place... plus a list of places he like to work at... a search that allows him to consider something if he believes better for himself and his career.... considering his background... could go back to corporate .... or on to another institutional position ....  I do not think what happen to McElroy is not loss on him ....

The staff knew at the beginning of the year.  

While this is not directly on topic, however Binghamton University made an announcement yesterday:

https://bubearcats.com/news/2021/3/8/mens-basketball-sanders-introduced-as-new-mens-basketball-coach.aspx

Apparently, their A.D. knows how to get things done quickly.  I sticking with around mid-April 2021 for Benson to make an announcement.  That said, the new coach was on staff as an assistant coach.  

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

7 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

While this is not directly on topic, however Binghamton University made an announcement yesterday:

https://bubearcats.com/news/2021/3/8/mens-basketball-sanders-introduced-as-new-mens-basketball-coach.aspx

Apparently, their A.D. knows how to get things done quickly.  I sticking with around mid-April 2021 for Benson to make an announcement. 

That is a joke hire.  An easy hire.  I expect a new head coach my next Friday.  Mid April would but atrocious.  

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, UA1882 said:

That is a joke hire.  An easy hire.  I expect a new head coach my next Friday.  Mid April would but atrocious.  

Let time be the judge of the hire....two teams made the tournament on Tuesday....one's last appearance was 25 years and the other last appearance was 13 years ago .... how coaches have come gone between these teams...you never know if a coach is going to get you there...

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

Haven't posted for a while, but I'll say no AD makes a move without having their lists set up. Generally it's those you pray you can get, those you think of having a chance to get and those where you know the interest is mutual. All of this is done well in advance of the current coach leaving. You always have this list and always update it (your coach can leave at any time). Being that Benson knew he was making this move for a while now (years) all the research has been done well in advance.

Speculation per the HoopDirts website:

Albany: Sounds like top 3 (in order) – Desmond Oliver (assistant coach Tennessee), Kyle Neptune (assistant coach Villanova), and Dwayne Killings (associate head coach Marquette). Siena’s Antoni Wyche lurking in the next group with other potential candidates Tobin Anderson (head coach St. Thomas Aquinas), and Gerry McNamara further down the list.

13 minutes ago, haggyland said:

Albany: Sounds like top 3 (in order) – Desmond Oliver (assistant coach Tennessee), Kyle Neptune (assistant coach Villanova), and Dwayne Killings (associate head coach Marquette). Siena’s Antoni Wyche lurking in the next group with other potential candidates Tobin Anderson (head coach St. Thomas Aquinas), and Gerry McNamara further down the list.

I really like this list, though Oliver and Neptune more than Killings.  Apparently Oliver is a hell of a recruiter and really boosted the Vols recruiting into the top 5.    I also like that they would be taking from high profile programs, which i'm inferring a desire to grow the program on a national vs. regional level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haggyland said:

Joe Gallo and Chris Markwood should be in the top 5.  Then I’d have Oliver and Wyche in that group.  The fifth...gonna keep that one to myself.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 1

The definition of the right coach (Roy Williams) and the wrong coach (Bobby Knight despite winning 902 games)

159148038_141553967851465_8799088194007287637_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=1&_nc_ohc=U6jCCmbL5WUAX9nCI6B&oh=d4a2b526ce9f5b00be77d6125dc53b04&oe=6073FDA0

marchmadness No. 9️⃣0️⃣3️⃣

Roy
... more
samuelbailey1 @letthemadnessbegin1 unc never cheated the fbi even investigated it and didn’t find any evidence
tjmassa20 @floridagators23 Archie Miller is the worst coach in ncaa

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

The definition of the right coach (Roy Williams) and the wrong coach (Bobby Knight despite winning 902 games)

Came here thinking there was a new update on the process or that we hired someone only see Roy Williams and Bobby Knight...

Who cares about Williams or Knight in a UA Coach Search thread? Make one OT: NCAA thread and stick to it man.

Edited by Eli
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Sigh

If this is the move Benson has lost his mind...Credentials are very poor on first blush. FIVE years he's been planning for this change and IF (big if as of yet) the associate coach of a 13 win team is the move than he's crazy. 

I guess time will tell...

Edited by Clickclack