UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Allegations swirling...

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

13 won't say a word...think about who the paid employee, conflict of interest.  10...different story.  As someone who's partner is a major news station investigative producer, they won't go to air without something other than when they have at least a reportable basis.  Between the UA press release and the fact this all came about today, I wouldn't be shocked to see outlets reporting on it tonight or tomorrow.

Timeline:

School allegedly finds out (at what level is the real question, it is being stated at the Presidential level by unconfirmed tweets) in late February.

6 weeks into the investigation and the school puts out that random statement

6 weeks into the investigation and the coach is on a multi-week leave of absence

6 weeks into the investigation, the team's star player goes into the portal when he presumably would be welcomed back.

Folks, it does NOT take 6 weeks to investigate whether a coach struck a player.  I do these investigations at least once every 6-8 months at my company (harassment, etc) as claims happen all the time when you put people together.  Something as cut and dry as this...doesn't take 6 weeks to have an independent review.   What WOULD take 6 weeks is if indeed there was some sort of mutual story (player, coach, ADept) and the school C-Suite got wind of the complaint.  That would take a much longer time of interviews, reviewing phone calls, text messages, e-mails, etc.

It's on the channel 13 website . Fyi 

1 minute ago, UA1882 said:

It's on the channel 13 website . Fyi 

And there you go.  I am pretty sure they will silo Wyland from this unless in his contract there is a clause that says there he is  not"walled off" if there is something negative to report about the school.  I know many reporter contracts have this, heck my partner needs permission from lawyers before she can run a story that might involve an advertiser.  

Edited by Dane96

This starting to make less & less sense. Happened in November; inquirery end of February; coach & team plays on; coach on “leave” most important recruiting time of the year? Even if not complacent, Benson should be fired for being in-competent. What a cluster €£¥k. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dslyank said:

This starting to make less & less sense. Happened in November; inquirery end of February; coach & team plays on; coach on “leave” most important recruiting time of the year? Even if not complacent, Benson should be fired for being in-competent. What a cluster €£¥k. 

Notice the release- says another office, not the Athletic Dept, received notice in late February.  No way the Athletic Dept didn't know about this prior...not a chance. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Yes it does.  THe school did not put out an official commitment for him.  An official tweet, which is allowable since he is a non-NLI kid, is usually par for the course.  This was on the kid's insta.  This kid is paying his own way...so it's not an official athlete until he's actually rostered. 

I understand.  My point is : im 40 years old.  I can't just put on Twitter I'm committing to ualbany basketball. Have it be covered by the local News outlets, ect.  He would have had to been in communication with the coaching staff. Been offered a walk on spot and accepted.  I would have hoped the coaching staff would have told him about this. 

Edited by UA1882
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

You don't see this as plausible in a thread full of speculation; especially with the first word being "probably"? I thought it was pretty clear to be speculation. 

Kid played all year on and off after being assaulted? I can't help but wonder how that is.

No. I don't.

I see this more as blaming an alleged victim than any thing else especially with confirmation that there are no facts backing the speculation up.

Well this is an interesting thing to walk into. I clicked on the last page thinking it was an old thread. 8 pages of stuff.

The way I see it:

If it was bad, and DK lost the respect of the team, you'd think more would have entered the portal by now.

If DK was going to be fired, or at least the team thought he was gone, more would have entered the portal by now.

Fizulich entering the portal makes sense. He was a walk on that played decently well in his time and is probably exploring the potential to get a scholarship where he could get more time elsewhere. He had a great relationship with DK or he wouldn't have followed him to Albany from Marquette.

Horton entering the portal makes sense. He was second team AE and the DPOY in the league. Entering the portal doesn't mean you are leaving, but with 1 year of eligibility left, it makes sense to investigate your options. He has a resume now that could land him on a top 25 type team. If a BCS team doesn't come calling, he could always stay put.

Something smells funny with this whole situation. The fact that, at this moment, there are only two in the portal, both with strong reasons to be there, tells me that this situation may be being blown out of proportion. The only scary part is the story of DK being on leave. That means there is smoke, and where there is smoke there is fire.

At first glance, it appears the players all support him and want to stay here with him if they can. That's why none have entered the portal except the two that, as stated, have real reason to be there.

My guess is that UA is being ultra careful, got wind and started an investigation as they don't want the same type of egg on their face that UVM has with their rape situation, and the players are holding out hope that he is exonerated. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Also, pure speculation at this point: but remember back in November we were told that both Amica and Drumgoole could be back this season. Drumgoole was supposed to be back by conference play. Shafer got hurt back in November as well. Incident could have been with one of them as well.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, bob87 said:

No. I don't.

I see this more as blaming an alleged victim than any thing else especially with confirmation that there are no facts backing the speculation up.

That's your prerogative I guess...you couldn't even discern if this was speculation or not. I didn't realize there was prohibition against speculation. Clearly there remains an open question of the motive behind why this comes to light in February and not the day of the incident. Months went by...player continued to get playing time.

Let me guess...some silly notion that the player left it up to the coach to quit? 

Remains to be seen if there is a parallel to drawn to the situation around CO during WB tenure.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Haha 1