UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Allegations swirling...

8 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

I mean, all I can do is laugh at this disaster. Everything about it.

One other thing you could do .... pour yourself some Balvenie Scotch Whisky .... then pour yourself a little more .... the problem still there .... however; now you feel a little more mellow

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

That's your prerogative I guess...you couldn't even discern if this was speculation or not. I didn't realize there was prohibition against speculation. Clearly there remains an open question of the motive behind why this comes to light in February and not the day of the incident. Months went by...player continued to get playing time.

Let me guess...some silly notion that the player left it up to the coach to quit? 

Remains to be seen if there is a parallel to drawn to the situation around CO during WB tenure.

🤣

I gave you the benefit of the doubt on "speculation".

Your are right. As often as you talk out of your ass, you don't deserve that benefit.

8 minutes ago, bob87 said:

🤣

I gave you the benefit of the doubt on "speculation".

Your are right. As often as you talk out of your ass, you don't deserve that benefit.

I'll have to carry on somehow in life without the approval of the resident UA groupie. 

Wish me luck!

Edited by Clickclack
  • Haha 1

No idea if Killings keeps his job but as a head coach, but this seems like a death knell for recruiting. This story is all over the place now, fairly or not.

I have to think the delay this spring is lawyers haggling over the details of the release.

Having John Calipari testify at the opening presser wasn't my favorite move to begin with. Also, hiring Tibbs from Vermont when that program was under a dark cloud wasn't great either. No way I thought it would lead to something like this though.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

Having John Calipari testify at the opening presser wasn't my favorite move to begin with. Also, hiring Tibbs from Vermont when that program was under a dark cloud wasn't great either. No way I thought it would lead to something like this though.

A history of questionable decision making capabilities by both DK and Benson. 

2 hours ago, Dane96 said:

13 won't say a word...think about who the paid employee, conflict of interest.  10...different story.  As someone who's partner is a major news station investigative producer, they won't go to air without something other than when they have at least a reportable basis.  Between the UA press release and the fact this all came about today, I wouldn't be shocked to see outlets reporting on it tonight or tomorrow.

Timeline:

School allegedly finds out (at what level is the real question, it is being stated at the Presidential level by unconfirmed tweets) in late February.

6 weeks into the investigation and the school puts out that random statement

6 weeks into the investigation and the coach is on a multi-week leave of absence

6 weeks into the investigation, the team's star player goes into the portal when he presumably would be welcomed back.

Folks, it does NOT take 6 weeks to investigate whether a coach struck a player.  I do these investigations at least once every 6-8 months at my company (harassment, etc) as claims happen all the time when you put people together.  Something as cut and dry as this...doesn't take 6 weeks to have an independent review.   What WOULD take 6 weeks is if indeed there was some sort of mutual story (player, coach, ADept) and the school C-Suite got wind of the complaint.  That would take a much longer time of interviews, reviewing phone calls, text messages, e-mails, etc.

My speculation (gotta call it out literally I guess because there are people amongst us who need it spelled out evidently): they aren't 6 weeks into an investigation and are scrambling. Again, reiterating, just speculation (lol).

1 hour ago, bob87 said:

No. I don't.

I see this more as blaming an alleged victim than any thing else especially with confirmation that there are no facts backing the speculation up.

LOLWUT?

How did you come to the conclusion that it was NOT speculation? As Click said, I literally put the world 'probably' as the first word. Victim blaming? lol. Laughable.

14 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

Or maybe someone was told DK would resign quietly after the incident, time passed it never happened and now the student athleteis done waiting for the resignation and went up the chain. That's a random thought...no actual knowledge on that part just could be a possibility.

So your thought was if DK quietly resigned after the season the player would have stayed quiet. Yeah that would have been a great look too. This is all trash. The coaches, admins, and players. Tear it all down. It’s been trash for years.

9 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

So your thought was if DK quietly resigned after the season the player would have stayed quiet. Yeah that would have been a great look too. This is all trash. The coaches, admins, and players. Tear it all down. It’s been trash for years.

The school MUST start with the dismissal of Mark Benson. Otherwise NOTHING will change. 

• Like 3

At this point, is there a chance that the situation is being blown out of proportion?

I mean what's your opinion if the whole thing was something like this EXAMPLE situation:

Kid mouths off at practice. DK gets in his face. Kid doesn't back down. DK pushes him. Kid falls down. DK didn't mean to really push him, it's a normal heated interaction that happens between adult men in tense situations, and the end result of the kid falling was an accident. Player and coach make up and come to an understanding. Player changes his attitude and moves on having gained respect for coach. "Everyone gets a trophy generation" parents get wind of the story and get angry. Maybe they were mad because their child didn't get enough playing time. Brings their concern to UA leadership. Kid didn't want it, and hasn't entered the Portal. Parents back down, but the damage is done. Investigation is mandatory after any reports happen, but it's mostly a formality after interviews, school plans to support him. Anti-athletics professor at the school (there are plenty of them) is part of the investigation, discovers they aren't going to fire DK and leaks info to put egg on athletics departments face and potentially force their hand after negative press.

I'm not saying that the above situation happened, or even if it is plausible, I'm just stating that none of us actually know what happened at this point and all the speculation on firing or who it was is pure speculation at this moment.

I keep coming back to the fact that the only players to enter the portal so far are ones that really make sense... A grad student who just won awards and might be able to test his skills at a higher level and walk-on that played well in limited time and might want to get a scholarship or more playing time. If I was on the team and I thought the coach was out of line and was not a good leader and someone who might be violent... I'd enter the portal even if it wasn't me. If I thought my coach was about to get fired, I'd enter the portal to see my options and to get my name out there, fully knowing that I might like the new coach and decide to stay.

Only two players in the portal while the coach is under investigation and they all know about it because of the interviews is really strange, unless the players are united in sticking by their coach. The way the portal is going this year, I'd expect 5 or more players in the portal by now without a scandal. Half of the America East is already in the portal. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

At this point, is there a chance that the situation is being blown out of proportion?

I mean what's your opinion if the whole thing was something like this EXAMPLE situation:

Kid mouths off at practice. DK gets in his face. Kid doesn't back down. DK pushes him. Kid falls down. DK didn't mean to really push him, it's a normal heated interaction that happens between adult men in tense situations, and the end result of the kid falling was an accident. Player and coach make up and come to an understanding. Player changes his attitude and moves on having gained respect for coach. "Everyone gets a trophy generation" parents get wind of the story and get angry. Maybe they were mad because their child didn't get enough playing time. Brings their concern to UA leadership. Kid didn't want it, and hasn't entered the Portal. Parents back down, but the damage is done. Investigation is mandatory after any reports happen, but it's mostly a formality after interviews, school plans to support him. Anti-athletics professor at the school (there are plenty of them) is part of the investigation, discovers they aren't going to fire DK and leaks info to put egg on athletics departments face and potentially force their hand after negative press.

I'm not saying that the above situation happened, or even if it is plausible, I'm just stating that none of us actually know what happened at this point and all the speculation on firing or who it was is pure speculation at this moment.

I keep coming back to the fact that the only players to enter the portal so far are ones that really make sense... A grad student who just won awards and might be able to test his skills at a higher level and walk-on that played well in limited time and might want to get a scholarship or more playing time. If I was on the team and I thought the coach was out of line and was not a good leader and someone who might be violent... I'd enter the portal even if it wasn't me. If I thought my coach was about to get fired, I'd enter the portal to see my options and to get my name out there, fully knowing that I might like the new coach and decide to stay.

Only two players in the portal while the coach is under investigation and they all know about it because of the interviews is really strange, unless the players are sticking by their coach.

Every player who enters the portal now will be scrutinized. Doles has entered. He’s probably 26 years old at this point. Let me know when these free covid years are done because it’s ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Kid mouths off at practice. DK gets in his face. Kid doesn't back down. DK pushes him.

Stop right there.  In today's age, you cannot push a kid.  Agree with that statement or not, that's the way the world works today.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UA'08 said:

Every player who enters the portal now will be scrutinized. Doles has entered. He’s probably 26 years old at this point. Let me know when these free covid years are done because it’s ridiculous. 

When did Doles enter? Again as a grad student, it makes sense for him to check his options.

9 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Only two players in the portal while the coach is under investigation and they all know about it because of the interviews is really strange, unless the players are sticking by their coach.

There is no excuse if he put his hands on a kid...an accidental contact would be he's waiving his hands around demonstratively and accidentally clips the kid. Touching a kid in a physical manner to demean or worse cause any sort of harm is a 3rd rail and should result in firing. I don't see much compromise here on this. Have to trust at this point the school does the full investigation that is not run by Mark Benson and let the chips fall where they may. 

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

Stop right there.  In today's age, you cannot push a kid.  Agree with that statement or not, that's the way the world works today.   

I disagree with this if it's in context. Coaches need to be tough with the kids. If a kid is dogging it and not pushing himself or being a team players I want a coach to get in the kids face. If the kid pushes back and argues, I can see a chest bump. If the kid initiates contact, the coach should push him off. The BS that adults (18+) can't have contact as long as it's in context is one of the biggest problems with the wussification of our youth. I know that's not politically correct, but the millennial give me everything mindset is rampant because there are no consequences. 

Again, the situation I posted is completely hypothetical. I'd support DK if my FAKE and COMPLETELY made up situation was the actual case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1