UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SEFCU Reno

I took the tour today.

Well worth the time spent because the tour included ground tour of the floor and upper-level tour from all sight angles. The sight angles from the corners may be some of best views in any arena. In addition, the concession locations were part of the tour.  A tour of the women's locker area, which was far from finished, was [art of the tour.

There was a quick overview on seat selection with a promise to send a mailing with details out in the near future with a seat selection date around the middle of October.  This event will be an in-person event with arrangements for those who cannot make the in-person event.

Is the Broadview Center becoming the gold standard for the America East? Yes.

• Like 1

Did anyone get a confirmation email about the tour? I signed up for it and got no confirmation.  Just want to make sure before I show up and can't get in.  

Also where does the tour start? So I know I'm in the right place.  I'm guessing right inside the building but you never know. 

9 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Did anyone get a confirmation email about the tour? I signed up for it and got no confirmation.  Just want to make sure before I show up and can't get in.  

Also where does the tour start? So I know I'm in the right place.  I'm guessing right inside the building but you never know. 

YES. I got a confirmation Tuesday for yesterday's 8/9 tour. Meet in main lobby 15 minutes before scheduled time. A couple walk-ins accommodated.

• Like 1

Agree site lines from any section appear to be amazing. 

All chair backs, except student section = bleachers & eventually concert STAGE.

Top level permanent chair backs & luxury boxes, lower level fold down chair backs and pull out seating sections.

"BE PREPARED" {song from LION KING} to shell out BIG GDAC BUCKS. Overheard $250 per seat for top middle [NOT confirmed.] Plus football GDAC NO LONGER rolls over to basketball or lacrosse. [Each Sport with have a separate GDAC seat requirement.]

A lot of work to do. Head of the project said women's scheduled first game of 11/12 is a "stretch"; but 11/29 mens' opener a lock??

OK, indoor track, indoor lacrosse & football practice facilities fans---playing devils advocate I asked where would indoor track compete this winter. Got a pretty good run around answer. "Track staff still working to find a place???" When, I pressed the issue of a time line for the indoor facility/fieldhouse/bubble; the run around was even more pronounced. The best the project manager could come up with, it all depends on money--DUH! 

Also, tried to find out if "Old Gym" would be available for even later part of this years Volleyball schedule. Appears un-likely?

Edited by dslyank

If you believed from Day One when this renovation started, that the most loyal fans (aka Season Ticket Holders) ("STH") were not going to be asked to fund at least part of this project via the Preferred Seating Donation ("PSD"), then I consider you naive. 

The devil is in the details and while I did not hear an amount mentioned yesterday for the "PSD" for premium seating, I have been told the low range for "STH" will require a payment of $75-$125 "PSD" per seat.  I did hear that there will be perks (ex. Beer) from yesterday's tour. I await the MBB & WBB season ticket packages.

Mark Benson has been determined to bring in more donations from the average fan.  I feel the president of the university may have established a benchmark for Mark when it comes to donations.  Mark is now going for broke to change how we many of us give to the university and its sports programs.

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

I have been told the low range for "STH" will require a payment of $75-$125 "PSD" per seat

I am NOT naive. Fully expected this. And if your #s for low range seats are correct (and I feel they probably are); then the $250 per seat price I heard for top level center court is also probably right on.

My main concern is the all-sports fan, who may only be marginal interested in football perhaps will drop or reduce his/her season ticket. There is no-longer any crossover benefit or cost savings for supporting multiple sports as there was in the past. Also, the lack of urgency in upgrades to sports NOT football or basketball {i.e. Volleyball, Track, Lacrosse.} is very disappointing.

footnote: in this day and age of climate change or just call it "extreme weather" {if you prefer}; a full size INDOOR practice facility is essential & IMHO should be priority ONE and not take a back seat to Broadview or Casey. If UA is to compete for the best athletes, whether it be soccer, baseball, softball or any of the "money" sports, they must be provided with practice facilities that can be used 24/7 365 days a year.

Edited by dslyank

I'm sure it's all across college sports but the PSD's make no sense to me for schools that have a limited/shrinking fan base.  In the real world you generally raise prices as supply and demand dictates (Covid inflation aside).   While they've reduced supply (marginally) I'm not sure the demand is there for them to be able to raise prices.  I'd love for them to try to lower prices now, improve the product on the floor, increase the fan base and then raise prices as demand increases.  Silly me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McFan said:

I'm sure it's all across college sports but the PSD's make no sense to me for schools that have a limited/shrinking fan base.  In the real world you generally raise prices as supply and demand dictates (Covid inflation aside).   While they've reduced supply (marginally) I'm not sure the demand is there for them to be able to raise prices.  I'd love for them to try to lower prices now, improve the product on the floor, increase the fan base and then raise prices as demand increases.  Silly me.

Benson and his cronies have proven time and time again they do not understand basic economics. Rodriguez needs to enroll them all in ECON101 for the 2nd summer session ASAP.

Benson and Co. have taken Drake's "Started from the bottom" song and turned it into "Started from the top"...it just gets worse and worse. First it was parking...then it was increased parking...and now it's the right to even be in the arena as a season ticket holder. They should be kissing our feet and thanking us for being loyal instead of requiring us to contribute to GDAC just to get a seat.

Ridiculous.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McFan said:

In my opinion, there is minimal demand for tickets for any UAlbany sport so why have high ticket prices or these seat deposits?  The amount of money collected from the season tickets and seat deposits is insignificant compared to the cost of construction.  This isn’t Syracuse or even ODU.

it seems to me, that Benson has struggled to realize this.  You get fans by having a simple, inexpensive pricing structure.  Over time, you can increase prices and add complexity.

Nothing like watching the home football games and seeing all the empty yellow seat backs.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oldtimer said:

Had the Broadview Center tour today.  It is pretty impressive.  Have no clue to ticket prices but if you want Division 1 sports at UA, keep quiet and open your check book as I have for over 50 years.

Broadview Center will be great, and I enjoy my yellow seats at Casey!!

They need more than you in the seats.  For football,  I prefer to be a little higher up and the price of the gold seats weren't worth it to me.  When basketball prices are announced, I will make a judgment on best value for me. I certainly won't be sitting Courtside at the new arena. Best place probably would be top of the movable seats or lower part of the permanent seats behind the benches,  but will see what costs are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bob87 said:

They need more than you in the seats.  For football,  I prefer to be a little higher up and the price of the gold seats weren't worth it to me.  When basketball prices are announced, I will make a judgment on best value for me. I certainly won't be sitting Courtside at the new arena. Best place probably would be top of the movable seats or lower part of the permanent seats behind the benches,  but will see what costs are. 

Absolutely agree; everyone should have the right to pursue the best value for themselves. Like I said in a previous post, always felt the GDAC donations should be a personal choice and separate from seating, sports preferences, parking & other benefits; and subject to one own personal & private circumstances.

OK, I get it and that is the way its played through out college athletics.. But as many have eloquently said, UA is NOT Syracuse or even close. UA athletics as many here know and are acknowledging is NOT doing well and ticket demand is NOT IN DEMAND. Call it Economics 101 or Marketing 610, those in UA Athletics and their policies are failing.

OK it is what it is and we deal; but this latest GDAC bait & switch has really stung IMHO. When hoards of season ticket holders and donors were giving up on football {and RIGHTLY so}; I & I'm sure others kept our football seat and continued making our required GDAC "seat priority pledges." The pledge at least rolled over covering basketball & lacrosse seat GDAC requirements also. Now we/I find out that is no longer the case. 

The upcoming football season includes 5 home games, of which I definitely will be away for one game; and possibly miss another. If I had known my GDAC which I have already paid would NOT cover basketball this year, I most certainly would NOT have bought football season tickets this year. And it is a pretty save bet, I will be joining the football boycotters in the future. Just another example how the current marketing approach or lack there-of, is counter to building an overall successful athletic program. By linking the GDAC seat requirement assessment two programs you help/BUILD BOTH programs.

Edited by dslyank

People saying basic economics mean they should lower price. It seems that there is a misunderstanding in one piece:

The price/demand/supply is a curve. There is an optimal level to maximize revenue. One might argue that because the team is back to being a "startup" the smart move is to forgo some revenue and take the loss as an investment in the future, but that only goes so far when funds are needed today.

• $5/ticket = 3,500 fans = $17,500 in ticket sales
  • $10/ticket = 3,000 fans = $30,000 in ticket sales
  • $20/ticket = 2000 fans = $40,000 in ticket sales
  • $30/ticket = 1500 Fans = $45,000 in ticket sales
  • $40/ticket = 1,000 fans = $40,000 in ticket sales
  • $50/ticket = 600 fans = $30,000 in ticket sales
  • $100/ticket = 250 fans = $25,000 in ticket sales

The School gets $0 from concession sales, as they just rented space to a vendor for guaranteed dollars no matter how many show up (at least it used to be - no idea if it will remain that way in the future)

If the above scenario of the price/supply/demand curve is correct, I'd argue that $20ish is the correct price to maximize fans and revenue. Dropping the ticket cost to $0 wouldn't add any additional fans.

Edited by godanesgo99

I've been a season ticket holder for 20+ years.  I'll probably purchase again this year but am asking the question why?  I can get tickets to any game that I want in good seats w/o paying the PSD.  Just walk up an buy tickets the day of the game.  So i don't get the same seat every time?  Ok, not optimal.  PSD's are for places that have limited availability (in my view).  Sold out stadiums get away w/ this, not places that are at best 50% full.

• Like 2